News Article: NHL must step in to stop shady Senators owner Eugene Melnyk

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
This was obvious months ago. We were never going to hire a POHO because 1) Nobody wants to work for Melnyk and 2) Even if they did, Melnyk wouldn't hire them because it cuts into his barebones budget plan.

How much more abuse, how much more of a joke can this franchise become before the NHL BoG steps in and does something?

This is a legit question. Why do people think the NHL BoG would step in? They have never stepped in unless absolutely forced to by economic cirumstances.

The franchise is operational, the bills are being paid. These guys believe in the concept of private property and ownership, that's how they became wealthy.

None of them signed on to an activist BoG. They don't want any precedent of the Board ousting someone unless it's egregious personal conduct.

If Melnyk actually goes insolvent and misses payroll, the League will step in .

Until that happens, there will be no paternalistic / big brother / big government type of intervention. The most likely scenario remains a sale of the team.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This is a legit question. Why do people think the NHL BoG would step in? They have never stepped in unless absolutely forced to by economic cirumstances.

The franchise is operational, the bills are being paid. These guys believe in the concept of private property and ownership, that's how they became wealthy.

None of them signed on to an activist BoG. They don't want any precedent of the Board ousting someone unless it's egregious personal conduct.

If Melnyk actually goes insolvent and misses payroll, the League will step in .

Until that happens, there will be no paternalistic / big brother / big government type of intervention. The most likely scenario remains a sale of the team.
the rest of the league is paying the bills.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
And the Sens are purposely tanking their revenue.

Nothing says that an owner is not allowed to do this. That's the point. Meeting the payroll requirements is the theshold and it hasn't been gotten there.

It is much more important that the rules be followed than that they be circumvented when it is convenient for us.

People expecting a higher power to come and save us on the basis of "morality" should read Nieztsche's Genealogy of Morals.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Havent watched more than period of Sens hockey so far. Dont even know when game are anymore. I use to force time in my schedule to get games in. Thanks melnyk u really helped with ripping the bandage off

Yeah I haven’t watched one second of Sens hockey this year and chose not to order Game Center / Center Ice for the first time since like 2001.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It really doesn’t seem to be the right time for a new PoHO. The short term direction is clear. We just hit rock bottom, and we apparently are going to ride rock bottom for some time yet. At some point a new team of young players will emerge. Then a strategy can be put forth. For now, we will try, but suck, draft, sift, develop, and patiently wait for a few lottery picks. All execs hired so far had no ability to execute a marketing or development strategy because the message from the top cancels out anything they would want to do. So Melnyk is now in total control, with total responsibility, and with predictable outcomes. I wonder if he'll put someone in acting positions in many of those roles. All these austerity spending signals hopefully imply he is leaning towards selling in spite of his stated position.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
And the Sens are purposely tanking their revenue.

The players like some teams not driving up escrow and I doubt any owners are upset some teams keep the cap down. It's a win for everyone other than Sens fans.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The players like some teams not driving up escrow and I doubt any owners are upset some teams keep the cap down. It's a win for everyone other than Sens fans.
Teams underperforming wrt revenue projections means the players get less of their escrow payments back at year end. Any person or player thinking that a team tanking their revenue is good for player's wallets shows a fundamental lack of understanding how escrow works.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Sounds like he's going to reboot the program to undermine the current program in Ontario and support for profit private programs for the wealthy to keep their husks moving.

It will be modelled after the liver transplant program at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, which provides transplants for patients that other medical centres deem too high-risk or unfit for the operation.

Can't say I'm surprised.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I mean if the team really is for sale, of course he's not going to say he's in any kind of difficulty.

Not that his personality would let him anyway.

Or he just might not be in any trouble financially at all.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Or he just might not be in any trouble financially at all.

I mean, like Bonk would say, that could theoretically be true, but we have actual unsettled lawsuits x 3 that at least allow me to make the argument that appears to be not entirely accurate.

If he's trying to sell the team, there is no way he wants anyone to think he is hurting. Hurts the value of a sale.
If he's not trying to sell the team, there is no way he wants anyone to think he is hurting. Hurts his ego.

He's the Schrodinger of Sens ownership. He's both broke and rich.

Reactions: Deku and 18Hossa

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
"Despite enormous efforts to attempt to get confirmations from Trillium that we deserved credit for the spike in organ donation registration, we were disallowed that information," Melnyk wrote in an email to CBC News.

and when asked why this organization couldn’t share said information:

In other words, had The Organ Project's "register now" button linked to beadonor.ca, the information would have been available to the charity.

oh...

then he goes on to say, it’ll now be done through social media so they can properly verify the results... AKA: he wants to be praised for the “charity” work he’s doing.

Seriously, how much longer do we have to suffer with this moron?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad