NHL is damaging its reputation with useless ASG and missing Olympics

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
The NHL was perfectly willing to let their players go provides they actually got something in return. Instead, the IOC wanted the NHL to foot the bill (travel + insurance) while getting no monetary kickbacks, no advertising rights, no media rights. They can't say their players are playing in the Olympics, they can't use clips of their players playing in the Olympics... nothing.

Yeah I mean, I never meant to imply the IOC are the angels here. They're all a bunch of greedy f***s. But if they would have put their egos aside and figured out a way to make things work they would have got a whole lot more in return than monetary kickbacks in the long run. It was a missed opportunity.

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
The All-Star game is for kids. It’s a fun event for young fans of the game. It’s not really surprising that adult fans skip it. Young fans matter and it’s fun for them. It helps grow the game that way.

What? The adults have to attend all star games if their kids are going to be there don't they? (Which makes it essentially like any other exhibition, regular season or playoff game really)

Do you mean television? Are 5 to 10 year olds circling the date on their calendar and devotedly watching the ASG on their own or on play dates?

Sorry, its just just whole the ASG is for kids thing never added up to me.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I think a bunch of star players in one place for fans to interact with is good.

The games are boring. The women wasn't too bad.

Didn't see the skills competition.

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Are you a kid expert

It's a misconception that a lot die hard hockey fans fall into. Like, yea of course we dont care abt the ASG but hell it doesnt matter, kids love it. This idea has established itself but in fact many young hockey fans aren't more into (or not) than your average hockey fan

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
In the eyes of people who are already fans? Sure. Will they stop watching the NHL? No. If they do go will it grow the game in China? Probably not by any noticeable amount.

I would like the NHL players to go to the Olympics. But to grow the game you need to have it be relevant to people where you want to grow it. You need a local league that can grow in popularity. You need players good enough to make it to the NHL and become stars. And in some cases you'll need star players who look like the people you're trying to target.

It can't be show up for a couple of weeks and leave... that's not going to make a large number of Chinese people fans of hockey.

Ultimately the biggest barriers is hockey being a winter sport and the price it costs to play hockey even at low levels. Neither one is about to change any time soon.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
With no infrastructure half a world away and which will NEVER ever host a NHL team.

Hazzah!

Then why does the NBA have games there?

Besides.... China has a KHL team..... and LOTS of TVs/eyeballs, if you bring them the best players in the world, it might spike a long term interest.

The Olympics were always for Amateurs. Pros have no buisness in Olympics.

Pros = more viewers = more money

"Amateurs" is a stretch. What about all the state sponsored athletes from the Eastern Bloc during the Cold War? I wouldn't call them amateurs. They were paid to train all the time.

Last edited:

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
China is a massive market for them to showcase their talent. The best of the best.

China already has more viewers for NHL playoff games than US & Canada combined.

NBC was ecstatic to announce average viewership of five million for Monday’s Game 1 of the Cup final between Nashville and Pittsburgh, a 22 per cent increase over Pittsburgh-San Jose last year.
But those numbers pale in comparison to the regular audience in China: 22 million.

Stanley Cup fever translates well in China | The Star

This said there is still plenty of opportunities to grow further.

Reactions: Voight

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Eh you're not wrong... just ignoring the fact that it's a business... and that it has owners of each branch product, it's just too bad they choose to promote it so archaically

ASG sucks a butt
Agree on the All-Star game, but there's no evidence that Olympic participation helps the NHL. And that's after 20 years.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Some of my favorite memories as a kid was playing knee hockey in my room while watching the All-Star skills comp and game. The festivities don't speak to me anymore but not because the product is worse. It has always been and always will be for the kids.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Frankly what the NHL needs to do for next years All-Star Game is revive The Guardian Project from its 10-year hiatus. The Jets, Golden Knights, and the Seattle team need their own superheroes.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Then why does the NBA have games there?

Besides.... China has a KHL team..... and LOTS of TVs/eyeballs, if you bring them the best players in the world, it might spike a long term interest.

Pros = more viewers = more money

"Amateurs" is a stretch. What about all the state sponsored athletes from the Eastern Bloc during the Cold War? I wouldn't call them amateurs. They were paid to train all the time.

The logistics of having a team in Europe are untenable. Now go to China.

It is not going to happen. Ever.

If this passes you off, tough.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The logistics of having a team in Europe are untenable. Now go to China.

It is not going to happen. Ever.

If this passes you off, tough.

NO FRIGGIN WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously China will never have an NHL team but that does not mean the NHL should completely ignore it & forget about growing the game. NBA will never have a team there either but they doe exhibition games so they can make a ton of money and grow the sport.

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
The NBA in China was largely spurred on by Yao Ming more than international competition. In the unlikely event of a Chinese player succeeding in the NHL at an All-Star level, you would see more growth in that market than NHL players in the Olympics.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
NO FRIGGIN WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously China will never have an NHL team but that does not mean the NHL should completely ignore it & forget about growing the game. NBA will never have a team there either but they doe exhibition games so they can make a ton of money and grow the sport.
How many basketball courts in China?
Is there a national basketball team? Are there domestic basketball leagues?

What about hockey? How many sheets? If the Chinese national team plays Canada how do you think this goes?

The best the NHL can do is to be a symbol of the West ( for apparel) which has little to do with the game and you are fighting the next shiny bauble to come along.

And as l'affair Money has demonstrated, the popularity of the NBA in China is fleeting at best and can be killed by the decision of one high level government worker should someone, anyone, say something they don't like.

The KHL team might stick but it is much much closer.

If they want to throw China a bone and have an exhibition game of two, great. But that's probably the end of it.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
True but it doesn't bother me. It's called living by your ethos which in my case has always been "if you talk the talk, you better walk the walk".
So getting the best professional players for free, forever, is part of your ethos?

Does it bother you that they did this for 20 years straight? With no benefit other than enriching one of the most corrupt organizations on the plant.

Tying your ethos on principle to the IOC is, at best, illogical.

At worst? I will leave that to you.

Screw the Ioc.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Seeing players as investments is what's wrong with the sport. Does any other league have issues with what the IOC does?

The players are the product, and you don't risk your best product, and pay $20+M in insurance to get no quantifiable benefit, except "growing the game" when there hasn't been any correlation to the Olympics actually creating new fans.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
So getting the best professional players for free, forever, is part of your ethos?

Does it bother you that they did this for 20 years straight? With no benefit other than enriching one of the most corrupt organizations on the plant.

Tying your ethos on principle to the IOC is, at best, illogical.

At worst? I will leave that to you.

Screw the Ioc.

What you think about my ethos I give exactly zero flying f***s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad