NHL is damaging its reputation with useless ASG and missing Olympics

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The amount of players refusing to participate in the ASG is becoming pretty overwhelming.

It’s absolutely obvious there’s very few people desiring to watch Kreider vs Bertuzzi vs Tkachuk figure skating with sticks while most fans suffer without real hockey for almost 10 days.

Now, what every hockey fan in the world is waiting for is the best on best Olympics hockey.

The ratings in the USA were amazing for Russia vs USA game despite the early game start.

The NHL needs to abolish the All Star Game whatsoever and replace it with true ASG happening once in four years.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The All-Star game is for kids. It’s a fun event for young fans of the game. It’s not really surprising that adult fans skip it. Young fans matter and it’s fun for them. It helps grow the game that way.

Also, the NHL loves that it’s a huge corporate sponsorship event. It’s still good for the league, even if guys that are so die-hard that they post on hockey message boards don’t care for it.

Bottom line is that the All Stat event is good for the league, even if your average HFBoards poster doesn’t have any time for it. And that’s okay.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Every major sports league has a stupid All-Star Game. The MLB used to make theirs matter by awarding home field in the World Series to the winning league ("conference") and that in itself was even stupider*.

No reputation harm is being done. The players get a break to heal up for the stretch run. The league puts on a little fan fest in a different city each year with an exhibition game and an irreverent skills competition. Deal with it.

*originally thought that was still happening.

Last edited:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Players are lazy and want to go on mid-winter benders so they like the ASG break.

The Olympics are stupid anyway, they got that one right.

The real damage the NHL is doing is jamming ads onto every inch of the boards, glass, front rows of arenas, surface of play, during all breaks of play on broadcasts, etc. That has destroyed the aesthetic of the game and they need a clean aesthetic as part of the presentation more than any other competitor sport because hockey is harder to follow for viewers.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Not only that, the aberrant reffing from these recent years and the inconsistensy in suspensions make the NHL lose its credibility even more.
But I don't mind the ASG, I think it's beneficial for the players to have a small break in the middle of the season, sucks for the all-stars that can't take advantage of that though, makes no-sense.

Reactions: Duffman955

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I completely agree, I haven’t watched the all star game for years, I find it very annoying. I really really miss Olympic hockey, no better way to show of the game to the world than that.

Then go complain to the IOC and NHLPA about it

IOC refusal to work with NHL on issues involved with NHL participation and NHLPA rejected Olympic involvement when it was on negotiation table

The reputations of both those organizations is far more damaged by NHL not playing in Olympics

Also when it comes to ASG all the leagues have it and the fact this generation of athlete is so entitled and doesn't want to be involved is not fault of NHL or other leagues

Players enjoyed being part of Allstar experience and honor of being named in previous generations

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
They should just make it extraordinarily host-team-centric. Put like a whole 3on3 team of St.Louis players out there, for example. It's fun enough for the kids and the host city. Everybody else can tune it out if desired. Sunshine cities for hosting and a real focus on icing players from the host team are really the only extra steps they could take to make it even more of what it already is. For the rest of the league it's a nice break, and that's good too. (Just - running a bye week and the ASG together is overkill).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Don't like the all-star game and could do without the Olympics.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Yeah the Olympics is way more entertaining than the ASG but the IOC is a slimy organization and I don't blame the owners for not sending their "investments" over there to play for free and risk injury. I mean the NHL cant even show Olympic highlights afterwards. They gain nothing from that tournament and have a lot to lose.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
The ASG is irrelevant outside it currently being a show for people who actually attend. It never seems to attract new fans that stick and old fans don't seem to like it in any form it currently is in.
When it comes to the Olympics though, Nah, the NHL isn't damaging its reputation in the States. We Europeans are mostly bummed out by no NHL Olympics as we don't have the best league in the world, so we don't get to see the players ever. Once in 4 years was too much for the NHL.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I think people have to realize they have no interest in growing the game of hockey. They have interest in growing their portfolios.

I mean, think about it. What would actually help promote growth of the actual sport of hockey more, the international stage of the Olympics where arguably the best hockey has ever been played? Or a niche thing like the ASG that a few kids like?

Not letting players go to the Olympics is in my opinion completely contradictory to the notion of growing the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad