NHL is damaging its reputation with useless ASG and missing Olympics

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I am not putting anything in your mouth son. I am clarifying that I understand your point of view, which you just confirmed in the same post.

I have no interest to go into a shouting match insulting other posters on hfboards, we're all fans of the same game. So thanks for the discussion up until the last post and have a nice day.

I do not think the NHL is a white knight who can do no wrong, that is putting words in my mouth. The NHL has problems, big problems but compared to the IOC they don't even register.

look at this situation objectively, the NHL has made EVERY concession to the IOC and the IOC hansn't made a single concession to the NHL. In fact they made it HARDER for the NHL to participate, not easier.

to do this the IOC has has to completely change the tenets it was founded upon ( amateurism) but it want to keep the old business practices and pretend that the professionals are still somehow amateurs who cannot be compensated lest they be corrupted by money ( money coincidentally that they are fine with taking themselves). And appologists lie you and your ilk say " well that seems fair, its the NHL's fault"

the NHL enriched the IOC for two decades and got ZERO in return, and your gripe is not that the IOC should act like any other business and pay the draw but you have the temerity to insist that this is the NHL's fualt for not continuing to get the shaft in perpetuity in order to prop up the ioc for no return.

big.fat.pass.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I really wouldn't be surprised if the NHL skipped the Olympics again. Who is going to watch hockey games if they're playing in Asia? The time difference is insane. Is China going to give the NHL the deal they're looking for? The NHL doesn't just want $$$. They want insurance, protection and the whole world served to them on a silver plater.

They probably want an extension on their TV deal with China and they probably want a lot more money than what China is paying now. Actually not sure if you can even watch NHL on TV in China anymore. I was watching for a few years. They had really good guys calling the games but they were replaced by a couple of kids whose parents paid for them to get a TV gig and they knew nothing about hockey so I stopped watching NHL on CCTV.

the NHL, as a professional league, wants to be compensated for being the draw. that's it. it formally doesn't have to even cost the ioc anything if they gave them top sponsor status.

and you can watch NHL in China, at least until someone associated with the league says or tweets something unpleasant then, who knows ?

the NHL will likely skip olympics until they get something for it. 20 years of getting left holding the bag is enough. they have the best players in the world under cntract. the NHL has come to the ralization that there is nothing the ioc does for them that they can't do better for themselves AND they get all of therevenue from it.

before you say that the world cup of hockey doesnt have the cache of the olympics, how great was the last olympic hockey tournament. how come the cache didnt save that dumpster fire ?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don't think the All Star game is useless and it certainly does not hurt the NHL brand. It's a game for more casual fans and for kids and not for hardcore hockey fans per say.

As for the Olympics, as fun as they can be, as mentioned many times in this thread, it costs the NHL too much versus what little they currently gain. They are a pro league with players that are very well paid and losing a player to injury and having to pay for insurance etc. just does not make business sense.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Not hard to tell the agenda of the person who made this thread.

Worry abut your KHL, it's reputation is far less stellar.

hey stories about foreign passports being held and players not being paid are at a historical low, so they musty be doing something right!

Reactions: jj cale

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I'm trying to think this through.....

First question...Is hockey unique as to how it fits or doesn't fit with the Olympics?
I think yes, for the following reasons.....
Among major team sports, many do not have seasons which conflict with the Olympics....NBA is not on at the same time, Soccer/futbol is not on at the same time.
Among major team sports, American Football is not global in the way it is played, so it is no comparison.
Of the other major team sports:
Baseball: Olympics are youth or non-MLB players, but the season has a conflict
Basketball: If the best US NBA players played every time it would be no competition, so it's not a best-on-best
Soccer: Olympics are U-23, and are in the summer, which is NOT during the league's season.

So, the issues the NHL has to work out seem to be unique to hockey. One the great issues is the idea of a national best-on-best tournament. That's a great opportunity which no one else has. But there are other things as well....

So, with all of that in mind....

IOC would like the players but do not allow anyone else to use their footage.
IOC doesn't want to pay insurance and other costs to have the players.

NHL has to suspend its season 3 weeks at a crucial point.
Since IOC does not allow use of footage, then it is as if the NHL disappears off the world for 3 weeks.
Since there is no immediate ROI for the league, all there is to hope for is some vague long-term increase in merchandising and/or media contracts for the league simply because it is the highest hockey league in the world.

Seems like a clear impasse to me. I really don't think the IOC cares whether the players come or not. How much more will NBC pay if the NHL'ers are there? Not sure, but you know that NBC isn't going to let the contract go to someone else.

And, I don't blame the NHL either, because there isn't enough return to make it worth their while.

So, while fans would love it, I can completely understand why it doesn't happen.

Reactions: Petrouth

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
IOC is a joke.

giphy.gif

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I just want to see a legit World Cup:

Canada
Russia
Sweden
Finland
U.S.
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Switzerland
Germany
Denmark

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I just want to see a legit World Cup:

Canada
Russia
Sweden
Finland
U.S.
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Switzerland
Germany
Denmark
that's 10 teams, how is that gonna work ?
if two teams were dropped, and it was 8, would that work ? or do you want to add the next six as cannon fodder ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->