The Athletic - Boston NHL farm system rankings: No. 27 Boston Bruins

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I don't think these guys have some sort anti Bruins bias in their prospect rankings, probably just writing their thoughts without considering what we think. I think the Sweeny fans are just being hyper sensitive to anything that isn't pro Donny ( I do the same with the Pats etc). In the end who cares what they write, they have a job and that's their opinions. I do appreciate hockey minds out of Toronto and Montreal. One of my favourite is Don Cherry. Its also good they aren't giving us good grades bc it pressures us to improve.

Sweeney will get his respect but has to earn it with deep playoff runs. That's how it goes
The problem for you is that teams don't react to what a writer says in the middle of summer, especially when he hasn't seen any or most of the teams prospects. You keep following Don Cherry. At least he coached in the NHL. If they put Boston at number one, I would still feel the same way.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
That's a Chiarelli Era ranking.

I'm not an expert on other farm systems, but I follow the Bruins' kids pretty closely. There's no way the system now - even after the graduations last year - is anywhere near as bad as it was under Chiarelli.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Interesting.

To say the two guys have a completely different take would be putting it mildly.

Pronman has TB (30), WPG (28), BOS, (27), and COL (21) in his Bottom 10.

Kornianos has all four of those franchises in his Top 12: COL 6th, TB 7th, WPG 11th, BOS 12th.

Holy difference of opinion, Batman!

The difference between one guy actually seeing the depth level players in a system and the other seeing the high end players and probably using stats for the rest.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I won't speak for Kirk (maybe a little) but why you don't see us put lists like this together is because we would never, ever be able to see all those players play.

It's why I pay zero attention to these lists. One man/woman can not possibly put a list like that together without some kind of bias/hatred. Heck, even Bobby Mac doesn't put his top 30 draft picks (let alone farm teams) together without consulting with 10 professional scouts.

As for the author, I can't say anything at the risk of being banned.

I gently replied to Pronman's article on the B's by pointing out that it's difficult for the national guys to see all the prospects, and that I liked TR, Stud and Lauko better than he did.

He responded that he had seen Frederic, Studnicka, and Lauko multiple times live and on video.

Studnicka 6/7 times live and 15-20 times on video.

Frederic 10 times live and 5 on video.

Lauko live 8 times and 15 on video.

He's a busy guy I guess?

I mean it is possible. Lauko played for the CZE U20 team at the WJC's, (Pronman was present I beleive) but I don't believe he was a featured guy? Probably would have gotten a much better read on him in Russia at the U18's, where he was playing against kids his own age and led the Czech team in scoring?

Dom, maybe you bumped into Corey when he was putting all that OHL time in this season?

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Having a top system would be a nice luxury right now...but unless you think the Bruins are going to run into a bunch of unexpected busts over the next couple seasons...it’s not pressing...

There’s only so many NHL roster spots.

I’d go out on a limb and say DS has used the system well. We’ll see this season...but I’d be surprised if he hasn’t grown enough NHL winners to cover the current window.

I’m sure DS is on it and will begin the focus and process for the next window probably starting this draft. I don’t get all worked up because DS spent a first on a rental, it was the right choice at the right time. I do feel that ramped up the anxiety about this stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief Nine

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I go with my and buds opinions and he’s respected plenty

My world is my world and in it Donny is doing well

The mind is a beautiful thing

As someone who was at best 50/50 on Sweeney and probably 15/85 after he chose to do a half rebuild I don't even see how his overall work can be debated now . He has taken an older team injected with a lot of youth on the roster and young guys close to nhl ready and poof they are back in the upper end of the nhl. I think you can look at his trades and some signings and say they were bad but how can anyone look at what he has done with this team and say he is actually failing . The bruins are third cup favorite this yr . I would've told anyone they were crazy if they told me that would be the case when he took over . The problem is we have the two cup favorites in our own division .

All this said winning the cup is very very hard . You need to be a very good team and combine it with a lot of luck . I will rate a gm on how he does overall as far as putting the team near the top and giving us a good yr and a good shot yr after yr . I know that won't fly with a lot of people but I don't look at the bruins as a team that was gifted a lot of number 1 overall draft picks so if the gm, coach and players do well we will be near the top of the league knocking on the door and hoping it slips open . If they do bad we will be avg to bottom feeders .

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Interesting.

To say the two guys have a completely different take would be putting it mildly.

Kournianos has all four of those franchises in his Top 12: COL 6th, TB 7th, WPG 11th, BOS 12th.

Almost like one put in the work and one didn't

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Almost like one put in the work and one didn't
Or people just have different OPINIONS.

I'll be honest, outside of the high end prospects on other teams, I'm not remotely familiar with most other teams prospect pools. This said, I'd like to think the Bruins prospect pool is pretty good, but I honestly don't think I'm remotely knowledgeable about almost any other teams prospects unless they are straight up bluechippers (which while I don't think the Bruins have elite talent in the pipeline, there's always surprises).

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

I'll be honest, outside of the high end prospects on other teams, I'm not remotely familiar with most other teams prospect pools. This said, I'd like to think the Bruins prospect pool is pretty good, but I honestly don't think I'm remotely knowledgeable about almost any other teams prospects unless they are straight up bluechippers (which while I don't think the Bruins have elite talent in the pipeline, there's always surprises).
No team has elite talent in the pipeline, because elite talent goes directly to the NHL.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Did you read both articles and come up with that or are you throwing it out there for argument sake?

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
No team has elite talent in the pipeline, because elite talent goes directly to the NHL.
This is a 99% accurate statement.

There is a player or two every year that is an Elite Prospect that spends a draft + 1 year developing. I've considered McAvoy elite since pre-draft and he is living up to that label so far--and he spent an extra year at BU developing. I expect Elias Pettersson to be a Calder contender this year for Vancouver after he broke a ton of SHL records for his age in his draft + 1 year.

But yeah, the 99% of Elite Prospects go straight to the NHL like Seguin, McDavid, Matthews, Laine, etc.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
He gets a lot of credit from legit hockey personnel

He doesn’t get credit from the don’t know-jack squat crowd

Look at some of the bozos who post here who bash him - clowns would be offended

The writers? Leafs background

The 3 threads here ragging on the Bruins draft and prospect

1. A 21 year old college kid who does a Leafs Lunch podcast

2. A Hockey News writer who covers the Leafs full time and wrote an article last year giving us the 23 Leafs nicknames

3. Corey Pronman who 2 years ago who declared the Leafs #1 prospects amid a standing O and stuck Baby in the corner

How’s that working out

Always consider the sources
Hmmmm. Calling anyone who doesn't worship Sweeney a Bozo or someone who "doesn't know Jack squat" seems more than a little disrespectful.

Please try to enjoy the board and respect the opinions of others even though their opinions may not be the same as yours. :)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting.

Kournianos has all four of those franchises in his Top 12: COL 6th, TB 7th, WPG 11th, BOS 12th.

It’s interesting because Kournianos is one of my favorites and me and others here refer to him.

Eric texted me his podcast on prospects 2 days ago

Whereas Pronman to me has always been some goofball know nothing Leafs suck up right or wrong

I’ve never respected his views and really don’t bother with him - I’m sure others think he shits pistachio ice cream. I just have no use for him I think he’s useless as tits on a bull

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
TB at 30 tells me all I need to know about this list, every where you read has them near the top.
I missed that

Yah they are top 10 easy

Maybe it was a spoof to draw traffic

He’s got 3 teams in the bottom 5 I would put 6-12

Probably just tweeting fan bases

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad