The Athletic - Boston NHL farm system rankings: No. 27 Boston Bruins

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Word of advice, if you get the Athletic free 7 day trial, and don’t want it, make sure you cancel a day early. I had planned on doing it last night, but have been sick since about 6-7pm.

When I tried to cancel this morning, I could not do it from the app. I didn’t realize I had to go into settings on my phone (because I set it up though IOS) and a convoluted process to do it. Literally, as I was figuring this out, they billed me at 7:30am for the year subscription.

Conveniently (for them), the Athletic has no phone number to contact them, only a support email. I emailed and got the standard we will review and get back to you in 2-3 days, but they don’t cancel subscriptions via email. Once they bill you, there is no point in canceling, except so that they don’t auto renew you in 365 days.

Fortunately, my brain was working this morning and I got ahold of Apple support and they were able to cancel it for me and get a refund. It would have sucked paying for it for a year and not enjoying what I was reading.

Live and learn.

Bruinsfan98

May 25, 2011
Word of advice, if you get the Athletic free 7 day trial, and don’t want it, make sure you cancel a day early. I had planned on doing it last night, but have been sick since about 6-7pm.

When I tried to cancel this morning, I could not do it from the app. I didn’t realize I had to go into settings on my phone (because I set it up though IOS) and a convoluted process to do it. Literally, as I was figuring this out, they billed me at 7:30am for the year subscription.

Conveniently (for them), the Athletic has no phone number to contact them, only a support email. I emailed and got the standard we will review and get back to you in 2-3 days, but they don’t cancel subscriptions via email. Once they bill you, there is no point in canceling, except so that they don’t auto renew you in 365 days.

Fortunately, my brain was working this morning and I got ahold of Apple support and they were able to cancel it for me and get a refund. It would have sucked paying for it for a year and not enjoying what I was reading.

Live and learn.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
"The Hockey Writers" had TB at #2 last year. This guy has them near the bottom this year. The Sporting News has Boston at 12 currently. Is there any value to any of these assessments?

All that matters is what any of us independently think, and then of course what these fellas end up doing.

I see an average farm system that might make serious noise if they continue to develop...I think the B's are handling guys right, not rushing them, teaching them the 200 ft game, how to compete, how to be accountable.

That approach inherently isn't going to scream "elite" farm system, so I'm not putting much stock into these rankings.

Reactions: wintersej

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
How many prospects play 100 NHL games ?
got to track down one of these days my post the Bruins would go 12-12 from the 2014 first four draft picks and the six picks in the top two rounds of 2015 and their two 1st rounders in 2016 (2017 looks very good as well)

Reviewing my 12 prospects from 2014-16

Pastrnak
Donato
Heinen
Bjork

Potential iconic

Zboril
DeBrusk
Senyshyn
Carlo
JFK
Lauzon

McAvoy
Frederic
Lindgren

Vaakanainen
Studnicka

15 players drafted in rounds 1 & 2 plus 2014

NHL regulars 33%
Pastrnak
Heinen
DeBrusk
Carlo
McAvoy

On the cusp full time
Donato
Bjork

AHL close should see NHL soon
Zboril
Senyshyn
JFK
Lauzon
Vaakanainen
Frederic

In CHL
Studnicka

Traded but highly thought of by new organization
Lindgren

15 for 15? 100 nhl games ?

Could happen

12 of 15 seems very doable - I’m going 13,14 but 15 could happen

But as always - they passed on Barzal

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Pronman and a number of media have had it out for the Bruins since the 2015 draft. They made a big deal about their 1st round and make it a recurring joke and continue to bash Bruins drafting. There is a lot of bias there they can't let go to admit the Bruins have drafted some pretty good players.

You can look at sportsnet which has the Bruins at 12: NHL farm system rankings: Best, worst prospect pipelines for 2018-19, from 1 to 31

Or Dobber which has them 13: 2018-19 Organizational Prospects Rankings
Interesting talk at Dobber where their rankings were between 5 and 27 among their staff which is a pretty wide gap.

I think it comes down to the article writer being self aware. Both the writer on Dobber in that article, and from Sportsnet below in the following tweet, are able to acknowledge criticism of picks but also praise others.

I think my advice is the same as public draft lists, look at a lot of them and get a feel for the average placement rather than stick to just one.

I love how they joke about the Bruins' 2015 draft class yet Jake DeBrusk made a joke out that franchise last playoffs.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Name the 3 players of the iconic 2015 first round draft not to appear yet in an NHL game

No cheating

Hint : There is hockey symmetry here

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Yes

1 Foward
1 Defenseman
1 goalie

When I was considering a career in the adult film industry I remember a saying they told us ‘it’s not how you start but how you finish’

Hopefully Senyshyn and Zboril will be worth the wait

LMFAO Dan!

You weren't considering that career choice, you wanted it. I heard the producers told you that you weren't a big enough draw!!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
LMFAO Dan!

You weren't considering that career choice, you wanted it. I heard the producers told you that you weren't a big enough draw!!
A met a couple of obstacles that were to much to overcome

1. I couldn’t just use the name Peter Puck after NBC’s hockey cartoon character due to legal matters

2. I’m Irish

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I'm not worried nor surprised about the rankings. A lot of teams have had top 10 picks in the past couple years with more name recognition and perceived upside. Also didn't mind them trading away their 1st this year and won't bother me much if they trade next year's away as well as the team has a plethora of young talent and guys on their way. Right now, to me, it seems like there's a lot of depth in the system but if someone is judging them by high end players then the Bruins, at the moment, would drop on lists until a couple of these guys prove themselves a bit more.

That '14 draft continues to impress me, especially considering they won the President's trophy that year and only had five picks. Any chance Emil Johansson makes it? Can't think of the last time a team nailed every one of its picks.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I want to seriously challenge the people who are saying "why didn't Sweeney fill the holes?" i.e. why didn't Sweeney blow a bunch of money on the UFA market?

If the abundance of young players keep progressing, we would have found ourselves in an absurd cap crunch in 1-2 years. Regardless, it's going to get dicey. I don't understand how anyone can watch what they did last year and lean more on acquiring "proven NHL talent/veterans" over continuing to trust the kids.

I almost can't believe I'm saying that given where I was last year, but it would be so foolish of me to say otherwise at this point.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
The senyshyn and zboril picks were major goof ups. Other then that Donny has done well in later rounds Carlo for example. If Bjork and donato score 20 each which is possible we have an incredible infusion of youth in our line up. Pastrnak mcavoy debrusk heinan grezylk . All contributing.

Reactions: dabid

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
The senyshyn and zboril picks were major goof ups. Other then that Donny has done well in later rounds Carlo for example. If Bjork and donato score 20 each which is possible we have an incredible infusion of youth in our line up. Pastrnak mcavoy debrusk heinan grezylk . All contributing.

For the love of God, stop calling them goof ups; specifically Zboril. He was the considered the best defenseman available there. I hate hindsight draft comments in general, but whenever someone mentions Zboril, it makes it that much worse. They're not busts. They're not goof ups. Let them develop.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They are both 21 and played almost the entire AHL season as 20 year olds

Your giving up on players before they play their 21 year old season?

I hope people waited longer than 21 before they gave up on you

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
More and more, I want Senyshyn to become a contributing middle 6 guy, just to shut up the people who continually point to that draft as a bust.
Even #1 goof here if he watched Senyshyn at Providence knows why atleast 3 teams were taking him in the first round.

All pluses - Size, skating, shot, character

Didn’t turn 21 till last day of March

The only question us evaluators have is Paille type bottom 6 or a 20+ goal second liner with vintage Lucic type production

I need a handful of live viewing in October & November and lo and behold my Providence games are 4 Games those 2 months and then 3 in March

Very excited by this bust

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
There were people here last summer that wanted to move DeBrusk out in a package for someone new and shiny.
People complaining he had not broken into the lineup yet and were giving him the Cehlarik treatment that people are doing this summer.

Oh, and Gryz was a scrub who would never see lineup time while Krug was playing.

HFBoards needs to invest in a Crow catering service. They'd make millions off all of us.

Reactions: DKH

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I really don't understand the bitter comments here by the super low-ranking. If you look at the teams in the bottom 6, they are fantastic teams that have either competed for or won the Stanley Cup last year. Of course we don't have great high-end prospects, we just graduated a bunch of them and we didn't have a first-round pick this year either. Fans and their own prospects are like parents and their own kids, they are way too heavily biased when comparing against the competition. We really don't have anyone too exciting to compare to, for example, Carolina with Necas or Svechnikov. Not the end of the world... wouldn't trade places or rosters with them either. Like, there are Bruins fans out there who I'm sure love our Prospect pool more than Buffalo's. We need to be a little bit realistic here. Positive results leads to less impressive prospects down the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad