The Athletic - Boston NHL farm system rankings: No. 27 Boston Bruins

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Corey Pronman is the Senior NHL Prospects Writer for The Athletic. Previously Corey worked in a similar role at ESPN and Hockey Prospectus. Follow Corey on Twitter @coreypronman.

NHL farm system rankings: No. 27 Boston Bruins

VERY GOOD NHL PROSPECT
1. Ryan Donato, C, Harvard-ECAC

LEGIT NHL PROSPECT
2. Urho Vaakanainen, D, SaiPa-Liiga
3. Jack Studnicka, C, Oshawa-OHL
4. Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson, C, Providence-AHL
5. Trent Frederic, C, Wisconsin-Big 10

HAVE A CHANCE
6. Ryan Fitzgerald, C, Providence-AHL
7. Jakub Lauko, LW, Chomutov-Czech Extraliga
8. Zach Senyshyn, RW, Providence-AHL
9. Jakub Zboril, D, Providence-AHL
10. Jeremy Swayman, G, Maine-Hockey East

DEPTH NOTES
11. Peter Cehlarik, C, Providence-AHL
12. Joona Koppanen, LW, Providence-AHL
13. Axel Andersson, D, Djurgarden-J20 SuperElit
14. Kyle Keyser, G, Oshawa-OHL
15. Anton Blidh, LW, Providence-AHL
16. Karson Kuhlman, RW, Univ. of Minnesot-Duluth-NCHC

Organizational Top 10 (23 and Under)

1. David Pastrnak, RW
  2. Charlie McAvoy, D
  3. Jake DeBrusk, LW
  4. Ryan Donato, C
  5. Danton Heinen, LW
  6. Urho Vaakanainen, D
  7. Anders Bjork, LW
  8. Jack Studnicka, C
  9. Brandon Carlo, D
  10. Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson, C

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Understandably low ranking considering how many guys graduated last year. This is why I was also a bit worried about giving up a 1st round pick for Rick Nash. I don't think that Sweeney can afford to give up another bunch of draft picks at the trade deadline or the pipeline will quickly start to dry up.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
In your opinion, Fenway, might the Bruins be trending up, down, or holding steady?

Right now I think the Bruins are holding steady - but Toronto and Tampa appear to have gotten stronger.

Florida COULD make a run to pass the Bruins but I don't see Detroit, Ottawa, Buffalo or Poutineville to be of concern.

We could easily wind up playing Toronto in Round 1 again :help:

I say :help: not because I fear the Maple Leafs but I don't want to deal with their trolls again :cry:

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
A lot of our guys have graduated from "prospects" so it's not a totally unfair rating. U23 as a whole is very very good. OUtside of top 5 right now it's pretty thin and probably not any everyday NHLers in that group.

Reactions: Pia8988

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
A lot of our guys have graduated from "prospects" so it's not a totally unfair rating. U23 as a whole is very very good. OUtside of top 5 right now it's pretty thin and probably not any everyday NHLers in that group.

Pronman also values high end and not depth. The bruins high end are NHLers

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
All excuses aside, that is a pathetic ranking. This needs to open eyes at the top. If they were 10th I wouldn't be thrilled but 27th is seriously pitiful.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
All excuses aside, that is a pathetic ranking. This needs to open eyes at the top. If they were 10th I wouldn't be thrilled but 27th is seriously pitiful.

They aren't excuses.

Boston U-23 last season. Heinen, Bjork, DeBrusk, Pastrnak, Donato. McAvoy, Carlo. Kids graduated, rankings take a hit. I'd rather have U-23 kids contributing in the NHL than win Pronman's list

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
They aren't excuses.

Boston U-23 last season. Heinen, Bjork, DeBrusk, Pastrnak, Donato. McAvoy, Carlo. Kids graduated, rankings take a hit. I'd rather have U-23 kids contributing in the NHL than win Pronman's list
Every team calls up their best players. This is a terrible ranking, there's no sugar coating it. I truly wish that you're right and maybe because as a business owner I see worrisome signs right away and try to nip it in the bud I'm over-reacting but: If my business is ranked that low amongst my peers and competition I would be worried.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Every team calls up their best players. This is a terrible ranking, there's no sugar coating it. I truly wish that you're right and maybe because as a business owner I see worrisome signs right away and try to nip it in the bud I'm over-reacting but: If my business is ranked that low amongst my peers and competition I would be worried.

You are overreacting. Instead of taking 3-4 years getting to the NHL, the bruins prospects took 2. Now they are no longer prospects. The Bruins youth stacks up with the best of them for not having top 5 picks over and over.

Reactions: 08SeaBass08

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

oh there will be, just wait till everyone sees this article. This writer is about to be ripped.

Reactions: maxl7

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They aren't excuses.

The Bruins lead the league last year in points by rookie players.

I'd be more impressed with that than some ranking by one writer about hundreds of prospects he's never seen.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

I really hope they don't start making decisions based on one writer's opinion (especially when it's such an incredibly subjective matter)

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Or they could just read some posts on here who think the Bruins have the best prospects going and none should be traded for anybody not named McDavid, oh and of that group there is a second line RW and a third line center just waiting to step in for next season.

Good thing Sweeney was active and filled those holes over the summer.

Reactions: Strafer

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Or they could just read some posts on here who think the Bruins have the best prospects going and none should be traded for anybody not named McDavid, oh and of that group there is a second line RW and a third line center just waiting to step in for next season.

Good thing Sweeney was active and filled those holes over the summer.

I don't think Sweeney gets a lot of respect outside route 128. These Bruins grades seem pretty consistent from the hockey world.

However, I think he deserves lots of credit for Debrusk, McAvoy, and signing Pasta and Marchand to good deals.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Seriously folks, how credible is this writer when he ranked Brandon Carlo, whose played in the Top 4 of two NHL playoff qualifying teams for two seasons now, the Bruins 9th best player under 23, yet ranks Urho Vaakainanen, whose yet to play an NHL game and isn't really expected to make the team this year, above him at #6.

Matter of fact, he ranks no less than FOUR players who have yet to establish themselves as NHL regulars (Vaak, Bjork, Donato and Studnicka) above him.

Just brutal assessment that tosses out any credibility whatsoever.

And people pay to read this stuff?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Seriously folks, how credible is this writer when he ranked Brandon Carlo, whose played in the Top 4 of two NHL playoff qualifying teams for two seasons now, the Bruins 9th best player under 23, yet ranks Urho Vaakainanen, whose yet to play an NHL game and isn't really expected to make the team this year, above him at #6.

Matter of fact, he ranks no less than FOUR players who have yet to establish themselves as NHL regulars (Vaak, Bjork, Donato and Studnicka) above him.

Just brutal assessment that tosses out any credibility whatsoever.

And people pay to read this stuff?

He clearly values top end upside far more side than a high floor. It rings true from all his rankings. He’d rather a guy with a 30% chance to become a #3 dman and a floor of never making the nhl than a guy with a 100% chance of being a 4 and a 20% chance of being a 3. That’s just how he does it

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He clearly values top end upside far more side than a high floor. It rings true from all his rankings. He’d rather a guy with a 30% chance to become a #3 dman and a floor of never making the nhl than a guy with a 100% chance of being a 4 and a 20% chance of being a 3. That’s just how he does it

True.

Although I don't see where Urho Vaakanainen's upside is any greater than Brandon Carlo's. Neither are known for their offensive capabilities. Urho is smaller, so I guess there is a perception he'd be better at generating offense.

Seems like his rankings are purely about upside and what they "Could be".

Reactions: wintersej

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
while this guy is certainly a fraud, the b's "system" isn't really that great when you line it up
vs other teams. beyond donato, there's a lot of ok guys at this point. last summer, we
were flush with maybe 15-17 guys that would definitely see nhl action (i thought probably
top 5 system in league). but things are looking very good because the roster is littered with
young talent...and agreeing with @BruinDust on the U23 list, looks like "prondog" or
whatever they call him was doing peyote when he wrote this list.

Reactions: GloveSave1

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

No one thinks this. Most fans just wouldn't trade our prospects for meh players that are constantly suggested around here. You and your made up junk to complain... Hilarious stuff, Fenian. Maybe one day a fan will actually say something you accuse, and you'll have a leg to stand on.

I also love how it's completely unreasonable to you that the Bruins could have a 2nd line RW and a 3rd line center in their system right now.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
CehlArik as notable lol. I can continue picking apart his player rankings but this is all I need to tell me lacks credibility.
While I may not agree with all his rankings the Chelarik one is pretty accurate. He is one of the prospects I don't get some peoples love for, unlike he who shall not be named (cough*koko*cough) who some claim was never given a real chance under Claude Chelarik played top 6 minutes and didn't produce while on Krejci's line, he played ok but if given that roll one would hope for more than 3 assists in 11 games, a number of players with more complete games could produce that offense and bring more than Chelarik.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I don't think Sweeney gets a lot of respect outside route 128. These Bruins grades seem pretty consistent from the hockey world.

However, I think he deserves lots of credit for Debrusk, McAvoy, and signing Pasta and Marchand to good deals.
I agree but he also deserves all of the criticism he gets as well for his unwillingness to make significant mores this off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->