NHL Eying 4 Cities To Resume Play In? Edmonton? Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No way in the world will the players or for that matter owners have a lockout or strike for even a year like the time. And you are in dreamland thinking there will ever be a 2 year stoppage lol they learned their lessom last time and they are not stupid enough to think fans will come back this time.

Cool your jets there kevy, I am using hyperbole and exaggeration to make the point that a rushed deal is usually a bad deal for one side or the other.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
From my understanding they want a little more from Vegas so they are saying Edmonton as a negotiation tactic. I've heard from a source of mine Edmonton has only ever been a negotiation piece.

Are they negotiating with the virus? Because unless Vegas gets their Covid cases under control in the next 48-72 hours I can’t see how Edmonton can be used as leverage.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Are they negotiating with the virus? Because unless Vegas gets their Covid cases under control in the next 48-72 hours I can’t see how Edmonton can be used as leverage.
They want Vegas to have more safety protocols in place. Once the players are in the bubble if no one is coming in going the numbers won't matter. Vegas is ideal for The league because they are willing to front a bunch of costs, the others are not.

Edmonton is the negotiating chip for Vegas to do more as the league much much prefer there. Although it may come to a point where the reluctantly decide Edmonton because of optics because they really rather not

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
They want Vegas to have more safety protocols in place. Once the players are in the bubble if no one is coming in going the numbers won't matter. Vegas is ideal for The league because they are willing to front a bunch of costs, the others are not.

Edmonton is the negotiating chip for Vegas to do more as the league much much prefer there. Although it may come to a point where the reluctantly decide Edmonton because of optics because they really rather not

Ive heard that Vegas actually has the best safety protocols. All workers, catering, housekeeping, entertainment, you name it will be kept inside the massive MGM hotel bubble. Nobody else can do that. So no leverage there.

Vegas is fronting a bunch of costs but Edmonton and Toronto have a 30% Canadian dollar discount on the table. So no leverage there either.

Vegas can’t deliver on Covid numbers or hospital beds, so no leverage there.

Rather, Jeff Jackson (McDavid’s agent) said on ON that he doesn’t see anyplace other than Edmonton and Toronto, and reading between the lines it sure sounded like a lot of other agents and players feel the same way. The reporting this afternoon also aligns with that.

I just don’t see the NHL being stupid enough to go the Vegas route. Well actually yes I can but you get the drift. :)

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Ive heard that Vegas actually has the best safety protocols. All workers, catering, housekeeping, entertainment, you name it will be kept inside the massive MGM hotel bubble. Nobody else can do that. So no leverage there.

Vegas is fronting a bunch of costs but Edmonton and Toronto have a 30% Canadian dollar discount on the table. So no leverage there either.

Vegas can’t deliver on Covid numbers or hospital beds, so no leverage there.

Rather, Jeff Jackson (McDavid’s agent) said on ON that he doesn’t see anyplace other than Edmonton and Toronto, and reading between the lines it sure sounded like a lot of other agents and players feel the same way. The reporting this afternoon also aligns with that.

I just don’t see the NHL being stupid enough to go the Vegas route. Well actually yes I can but you get the drift. :)
MGM and T-Mobile arena aren't close. Players would have to walk across the entire Edmonton downtown to cover that distance. That same distance someone is bound to catch Covid

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm not sure Edmonton is the best choice either right now, considering the spikes in cases we're seeing lately. Not sure there even is a best choice. Maybe Vancouver would have been if it hadn't run into issues. I'm not sure any of the NA pro sports leagues get restarted this season tbh.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Cool your jets there kevy, I am using hyperbole and exaggeration to make the point that a rushed deal is usually a bad deal for one side or the other.
Well they will have to live with it. Sometimes hashing out an agreement quick works out better than a long negotiation.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Well they will have to live with it. Sometimes hashing out an agreement quick works out better than a long negotiation.

They probably each have an army of lawyers working on the language and details. Either way it will have to be a memorandum of understanding they agree too I think, I can’t see them agreeing to the actual contract in the next 72 hours. It will take the rest of the summer to work the detailed language out.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
MGM and T-Mobile arena aren't close. Players would have to walk across the entire Edmonton downtown to cover that distance. That same distance someone is bound to catch Covid

They aren’t far by Vegas standards. Either way they would bus. Nobody is walking anywhere in 48 degree heat.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm not sure Edmonton is the best choice either right now, considering the spikes in cases we're seeing lately. Not sure there even is a best choice. Maybe Vancouver would have been if it hadn't run into issues. I'm not sure any of the NA pro sports leagues get restarted this season tbh.

Supergirl would have this dealt with in mere minutes.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
A spike in Edmonton is 20 cases in a day. In Vegas it is 500. Putting this into perspective there twice as many new cases in Vegas yesterday as there are active cases in Edmonton. And testing rates in Edmonton are much higher. The positive test rate in Vegas is 12%. In Edmonton it is 0.42%. that's 1/25 the Vegas rate.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
A spike in Edmonton is 20 cases in a day. In Vegas it is 500. Putting this into perspective there twice as many new cases in Vegas yesterday as there are active cases in Edmonton. And testing rates in Edmonton are much higher. The positive test rate in Vegas is 12%. In Edmonton it is 0.42%. that's 1/25 the Vegas rate.

Not arguing about Edmonton vs. Vegas. My point is that I think there is an absolute threshold that prevents these things from happening and we are rapidly approaching it.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

take a look at the spikes in cases in Vegas

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

lol the more things change, the more things stay the same.

The sides want to use their leverage in this one tourament to push for what they want for the next few years going forward. It's just sad that this could really muck things up. If both sides were focused on just this tourament for now, this deal could be figured out easily.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
When NHL millionaires start stocking the grocery stores with bread and milk I'll rethink whether I want them here.

I guess it comes down to whether you are against it due to the optics of it, or are against it due to the increased risk. If your argument is based on optics, then yeah, I think most people would agree that hockey players aren't essential, no doubt. I think lots of people would argue that entertainment and ways to lessen the stress provide meaningful improvement to peoples lives, but getting stats on that would be very difficult I would imagine.

The quote I was responding to was from Kwams17: "Are we sure this is a good thing though? Bringing that many people from other cities, including US, to Edmonton? Danger for the virus may go up" He was worried about the virus risk. The risk from truckers is orders of magnitude greater than hockey players, and that is before you take into account the strict testing that will be done on the NHLers, that obviously isn't done on truckers.

The reality is that the 1000 or so NHL players/support staff/family in Edmonton will do essentially nothing to the local COVID rates in Edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad