SSM Greyhounds 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I think younger players develop better seeing good vets taking on the biggest challenges, so personally not a fan of massive sells if avoidable. I'd keep Carlise if trading Gibson, and probably trade just one of Allard or Mignosa.
i agree with that statement 100%. and keeping carlisle. but only carslile lol. only problem then is we won't have enough bigger fish to land any extra picks next year. our 06 draft didn't really hit after covid. if miggy and cloutier turn into top OA's then it wouldn't matter as much. gibson will probably just bring us back to par with picks.

tough situation

Reactions: DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I think younger players develop better seeing good vets taking on the biggest challenges, so personally not a fan of massive sells if avoidable. I'd keep Carlise if trading Gibson, and probably trade just one of Allard or Mignosa.
I agree with this, however the organization has sort of painted itself into a corner by not rebuilding once over the last 10 years. We had the prime opportunity to rebuild on the fly several seasons between legitimate contenders but chose not to do so. Speers, Senyshyn, Frost, Hayton, O'Rourke, Kerins are a few names we could have built for the future off of, but held on for mediocre playoff runs. And adding Jack Thompson is still a head scratcher for me.

You can only spend picks without recouping them for so long and I hope we've finally reached that critical juncture.

hounds99

Jan 19, 2024
I agree with this, however the organization has sort of painted itself into a corner by not rebuilding once over the last 10 years. We had the prime opportunity to rebuild on the fly several seasons between legitimate contenders but chose not to do so. Speers, Senyshyn, Frost, Hayton, O'Rourke, Kerins are a few names we could have built for the future off of, but held on for mediocre playoff runs. And adding Jack Thompson is still a head scratcher for me.

You can only spend picks without recouping them for so long and I hope we've finally reached that critical juncture.
Absolutely.! Problem is the GM still thinks he can pick stars in the late rounds. He's had trouble coming to terms with the fact that he drafting crew just ain't the same as it used to be. And if we are being honest here, we have really missed the boat for ringers in the early rounds the last few years, barring last year's draft of course.

Raftis needs to come up with a different game plan, but I just don't see it happening.

Is it not time to give someone else a shot at the throne?

The truth of the matter is.....we haven't won a memorial cup since 1972 walking through the front door! Other teams have. At some point the Hounds brass need to realize that other systems can get the same results but also bring some hardware home.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Absolutely.! Problem is the GM still thinks he can pick stars in the late rounds. He's had trouble coming to terms with the fact that he drafting crew just ain't the same as it used to be. And if we are being honest here, we have really missed the boat for ringers in the early rounds the last few years, barring last year's draft of course.

Raftis needs to come up with a different game plan, but I just don't see it happening.

Is it not time to give someone else a shot at the throne?

The truth of the matter is.....we haven't won a memorial cup since 1972 walking through the front door! Other teams have. At some point the Hounds brass need to realize that other systems can get the same results but also bring some hardware home.

That's fair.

I have criticized Raftis as much as anybody, maybe more.

But I also have to give credit where it's due. While he has had some whiffs, he also found some mid to later round gems, and has done a decent job of getting players to report. It hasn't been perfect but I don't feel like he deserves to be fired.

Quite the opposite... I'd like to see what he could do if he broke with precedent and went through a strategic 2-year rebuild where some veterans are parlayed into a few extra 2007/08 prospects, and a stronger reserve of picks.

I appreciate I sound like a broken record. I'll crawl back to my armchair now, but a fan can dream.

Reactions: Houndzfan20

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
If we build around Martins 19 year old season, what happens if he doesn't have one?

fair question, but i'm also operating under the assumption we may be bidding for the mem cup again in 2027.

if that is the intention then the prospect of losing Martin as an 18 year old would only make it more crucial we build a juggernaut no?

knowing that our roster/cupboards played a part in the last decision, would he make that same mistake again? missy and kitchener is tough competition.

Last edited:

Sakic fan

Sep 23, 2023
fair question, but i'm also operating under the assumption we may be bidding for the mem cup again in 2027.

if that is the intention then the prospect of losing Martin as an 18 year old would only make it more crucial we build a juggernaut no?

knowing that our roster/cupboards played a part in the last decision, would he make that same mistake again? missy and kitchener is tough competition.
Absolutely agree we need to build around Martin and Hayes. Let's add additional top 07/08 talent through trades to have a shot at 2027 Memorial Cup bid. Martin is an absolute stud but I believe he will back as a dominant WJC caliber 19 yr old with a great supporting cast.
Our 06 OA possibilities would be Brown, Evans, BMB, Virgillio, Miller and Vader. Could be a very talented team that could be a worthy host as we should have been this year.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
How big is he? Eliteprospects has him at 6' 161lbs, and so does the OHL draft detail from last summer.
half a point a game isnt great for a high end prospect. generally more of a depth player, but an ohler sure.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Is the Greyhounds Development camp this weekend?

we're right in the middle of hockey tryout season in the soo so I'm not sure I'll be able to take any of it in. Is anybody planning on attending to get us the scoop?

Last edited:

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Croskery just posted that valentini signed a tender in chicago too. Not looking good for us or mississauga now lol

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Going to have to wait for the Dev camp roster. The initial article said it would be posted today, but the article has now been updated to say Saturday.

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
London fans talking about the spirit diving... apparently the spirit have actually been called for it a few times this series though. Must be nice. Beck flopped for 7 games against us. I guess the refs finally caught on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240501_223137_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240501_223137_Chrome.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: OHLfan200

Jay R

Mar 30, 2024
London fans talking about the spirit diving... apparently the spirit have actually been called for it a few times this series though. Must be nice. Beck flopped for 7 games against us. I guess the refs finally caught on.
Did you check with Saginaw fans of you can post stuff about them they might not like that since our season is over lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad