NHL Eying 4 Cities To Resume Play In? Edmonton? Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How is this whole repayment thing going to work? If you retire or go to the KHL you essentially get out of it?

Is this something that is going to hurt the NHL signing guys out of the KHL going forward?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
How is this whole repayment thing going to work? If you retire or go to the KHL you essentially get out of it?

Is this something that is going to hurt the NHL signing guys out of the KHL going forward?

No it’s what the escrow and salary cap will be in general going forward. Escrow is going to be huge if they dont cap both it and the cap.

If you retire today you don’t owe anyone anything.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

A very complicated mess of a situation that they are trying to solve in a very short time frame. They are trying to get a CBA extension done in around a month, when in the past we have lost huge chunks of seasons because the two sides couldn't agree, and back then they had ample time to think things thru. Gonna be interesting.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Let’s send the players to the country that caused this virus in the first place. I would not be surprised if most of the world boycotts the 2022 Chinese Winter Olympics. Mind you China is probably one of the safer places now lol.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
A very complicated mess of a situation that they are trying to solve in a very short time frame. They are trying to get a CBA extension done in around a month, when in the past we have lost huge chunks of seasons because the two sides couldn't agree, and back then they had ample time to think things thru. Gonna be interesting.

No kidding hey. Let’s do an entire CBA in 4 weeks with the pandemic effects and Olympics included. Guaranteed in 2 years either the players or the owners backs out citing unforeseen circumstances and we get a 2 year lockout or strike.

Oh well. At least Seattle will have gained an arena with a pretty green $200 million dollar sign.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Let’s send the players to the country that caused this virus in the first place. I would not be surprised if most of the world boycotts the 2022 Chinese Winter Olympics. Mind you China is probably one of the safer places now lol.
Wouldn't it be funny that the players finally get their olympics and then countries end up boycotting. Although 2022 is a long time down the road.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
No kidding hey. Let’s do an entire CBA in 4 weeks with the pandemic effects and Olympics included. Guaranteed in 2 years either the players or the owners backs out citing unforeseen circumstances and we get a 2 year lockout or strike.

Oh well. At least Seattle will have gained an arena with a pretty green $200 million dollar sign.
No way in the world will the players or for that matter owners have a lockout or strike for even a year like the time. And you are in dreamland thinking there will ever be a 2 year stoppage lol they learned their lessom last time and they are not stupid enough to think fans will come back this time.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
No way in the world will the players or for that matter owners have a lockout or strike for even a year like last time. And you are in dreamland thinking there will ever be a 2 year stoppage lol they learned their lessom last time and they are not stupid enough to think fans will come back this time.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I am not even sure what I am suppose to make out of these tweets? Just seems like a wide spectrum.

I personally doubt that 75% of them dont want to play. I personally doubt that safety is the main reason for concern. I am sure that safety is some concern, but honestly, I just think this is about money and where they feel comfortable playing.

Eric Engels tweeting for the sake of tweeting and making sure he has recognition

duul

Jun 21, 2010
It's no coincidence Bob McKenzie tweeting out Edmonton first in his list of remaining hub cities. :devdance:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
It's no coincidence Bob McKenzie tweeting out Edmonton first in his list of remaining hub cities. :devdance:
Are we sure this is a good thing though? Bringing that many people from other cities, including US, to Edmonton? Danger for the virus may go up

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

You know Bettman is licking his chops, hoping to penetrate the Chinese market. If there's an opportunity to co-promote the NHL alongside the Olympics, he'll be there. I mean, FFS, didn't he send Connor over there a few years ago?

If theres a way to get the NHL 'brand' out there, especially in the untapped Chinese market, he'll do whatever it takes. Kind of like his Vegas/Arizona/Sunbelt projects.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
No way in the world will the players or for that matter owners have a lockout or strike for even a year like the time. And you are in dreamland thinking there will ever be a 2 year stoppage lol they learned their lessom last time and they are not stupid enough to think fans will come back this time.

October 1, 1994-January 11, 1995 - 468 games are canceled as a result of the 103-day lockout. (We learned our lesson, this won't happen again.)

September 16, 2004 - The NHL owners lockout the players. February 16, 2005 - The 2004-2005 hockey season is canceled due to lockout. (For sure this time we learned our lesson. Won't happen again.)

September 15, 2012 - The NHL imposes a lockout at midnight ET after the CBA expires. December 10, 2012 - The NHL announces the cancellation of the 2012-13 regular-season schedule through December 30. A total of 526 regular-season games were scheduled for October 11 through December 30. (Trust us, we've learned our lesson. This will never happen again.)

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
You know Bettman is licking his chops, hoping to penetrate the Chinese market. If there's an opportunity to co-promote the NHL alongside the Olympics, he'll be there. I mean, FFS, didn't he send Connor over there a few years ago?

If theres a way to get the NHL 'brand' out there, especially in the untapped Chinese market, he'll do whatever it takes. Kind of like his Vegas/Arizona/Sunbelt projects.

Part of the NBA HUGE growth was because of China. Like any business, China is a potential gold mine, but comes with lots of risk too

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Ah geez. That's why Panarin is talking about escrow. He has a 13M bonus coming up that he knows he's probably gonna need to give back a huge chunk of because next year will be a mess revenue-wise.

Paying players a 20/21 bonus before 19/20 is over. Wonder how all that is gonna work out, and who actually has the most leverage here with the season delayed.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Are we sure this is a good thing though? Bringing that many people from other cities, including US, to Edmonton? Danger for the virus may go up
Is it really that many people though? I suspect we are letting more truck drivers through on a regular basis and I haven't really heard too much about truck drivers being a huge risk.

Reactions: KYams17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad