NHL Eying 4 Cities To Resume Play In? Edmonton? Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
My thoughts are that they will get a CBA hammered out, at least a memorandum of understanding on the larger points which allows their respective lawyers to deal with the finer points, but I am not sure we will get past Phase 3. With US cases spiralling out of control and expected to hit 100,000 per DAY by the end of the month, I think there will be too many players in American markets infected for this to get off the ground.

They should move Phase 3 to the Hub Cities immediately (assuming it will be Edmonton and Toronto) and get the players into quarantine by July 10. Not sure that is even plausible as I read somewhere that the Hub Cities need at least 3 weeks prep time.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm not sure Edmonton is the best choice either right now, considering the spikes in cases we're seeing lately. Not sure there even is a best choice. Maybe Vancouver would have been if it hadn't run into issues. I'm not sure any of the NA pro sports leagues get restarted this season tbh.

The hub city is pretty irrelevant I'd think as long as the league keeps the bubble airtight.
The issue is getting to the hub cities. Players are all over the U.S. for training camps for a good 3 weeks or so before they head to their respective hubs, this is what will make or break the season. If they can get to the bubble relatively unscathed (such as the 15 positives out of 250 during Phase 2) then I think there's a good chance they can finish the season but keeping the numbers down to 5-6% with so many players in warm weather U.S. climates (a.k.a. idiotic sunbelt U.S. states) will be a task.
In other words, Phase 4 will be a lot easier to pull off than Phase 3. Phase 3 should have taken place in the hub cities IMO.

It's a testament to how unbelievably poor the U.S. has handled this when European sports can play every day with minimal issues in their freaking home stadiums while these North American sports likely won't even be able to make it to a bubble environment. If that happens or even worse if the bubble gets compromised, you can forget about major sports until sometime next year (if even then).
I know that there's more important things than sports but this really f***ing sucks for a sportsnut such as myself and I despise my country right now for letting it to get to this.

Last edited:

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Wow. If the owners are going to hand out almost 500M in the next couple weeks they’ve got to be pretty confident they’ll get a deal done and hockey will be played this year.

More that the legalities limit their options. They're still contractually obligated to pay the bonuses unless they come to a different agreement with players.

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->