NHL Eying 4 Cities To Resume Play In? Edmonton? Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Please refrain from political posts. It is common knowledge that the Covid and protesting/rioting situations are much better in Edmonton than many places in the US so I agree that Edmonton and Vancouver would be good places for hubs but there is no need to keep posting about these issues, they are known to anyone that has turned on a tv in the last number of days/weeks and are against site rules.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If they are going with a play in series going forward they'd have to cut it to 3 games IMO. 5 games is what 10 days of other teams doing nothing?

Just seems they could potentially start losing viewership with dragging it out.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If they are going with a play in series going forward they'd have to cut it to 3 games IMO. 5 games is what 10 days of other teams doing nothing?

Or just have a one game winner take all. That would be the fairest in terms of not allowing the other opponent to sit and get cold for a week or two.

Reactions: joestevens29

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Yup. Would think it would be best of 3's, with a 4 day window.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Or just have a one game winner take all. That would be the fairest in terms of not allowing the other opponent to sit and get cold for a week or two.

Or the team with fewer points has to beat the team with more points twice, both games (if required) in the rink of the team with more points. If the team with more points wins the first game, series is over.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I'd imagine they'd want to get the three games done as quickly as possible, so I could see them scheduling 3 games in 4 days or something like that, with Game 1 of the next round being 2 days after.

Teams would adjust pretty damn quickly to this format, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about the top seeds. The rust might impact Game 1 negatively for the top seed, but the rest would ultimately become an advantage over a 7 game series and ultimately they are the better team so they should be able to pull it off.

Historically when the NHL had byes, there weren't many upsets (the team with the bye won 7 out of 8 series), so I think this rust thing is overplayed.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

This is exactly what the league should do. Win and you are in. Four games over two nights.

Any baseball fan will know it gives such a jolt to the start of the playoffs.

It's possible to go bigger. When the league goes to 32 teams they could go with four divisions in each conference. The top three teams in each division could make the playoffs with 2-3 playing a best of five.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is why I dont want the players near Edmonton.

Players will be tested and quarantined immediately then they will play in a bubble isloated from the public so this won't effect the citizens of Edmonton one bit.
This is IF they play which is still a huge IF.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I’m sure letting in a couple hundred NHL players and NHL staff is going to create a huge increase in corona virus numbers.....

Not worth the risk. Just my opinion. Alberta has been doing fine and bringing all these people in from the US, for very little gain, just doesn't interest me. Let some other city take that risk.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not worth the risk. Just my opinion. Alberta has been doing fine and bringing all these people in from the US, for very little gain, just doesn't interest me. Let some other city take that risk.

How is it a risk for the public when they'll be isolated from the public? The only risk will be to those in the hockey bubble and even that risk will be minimized because they'll be testing daily, and won't be leaving the bubble.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Current first place teams potentially get screwed big time.

Especially Boston. They were 96% probability of finishing first in the East and 94% probability to win the Presidents Trophy. Their reward for that could now be playing Pittsburgh in the first round instead of one of the cluster of teams battling for the the 8th seed.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
How is it a risk for the public when they'll be isolated from the public? The only risk will be to those in the hockey bubble and even that risk will be minimized because they'll be testing daily.

There is no risk. The only fear is an outbreak in the future. Originally the fear was overwhelming the health care system. Then we had to flatten the curve.

The proposal for reopening is reasonable. If we are a host city Edmonton won't be taking a major risk and the reward will be great.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
How is it a risk for the public when they'll be isolated from the public? The only risk will be to those in the hockey bubble and even that risk will be minimized because they'll be testing daily, and won't be leaving the bubble.

I am just concerned. Hopefully that's allowed. I'd hate for all of Alberta's hard work to be wrecked by a bunch of infected Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad