NHL entry draft

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
After that play-in series, we could all use a good Laf.

Ok, seriously, there's a rumor out there that LA may try to trade the #2 and a center like Vilardi or Turcotte for the #1. If the Preds win the #1 and do a trade like that, they could draft Byfield and... bam... they'd have their #1 and #2 centers for the next 10 years... or they could draft Stutzle and have 2/3rds of a good 2nd line in a year or two.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee

Ok, seriously, there's a rumor out there that LA may try to trade the #2 and a center like Vilardi or Turcotte for the #1. If the Preds win the #1 and do a trade like that, they could draft Byfield and... bam... they'd have their #1 and #2 centers for the next 10 years... or they could draft Stutzle and have 2/3rds of a good 2nd line in a year or two.

What do we do with Joey/Duchene in that scenario? Idk, it just seems like at this point a high-end winger would be a better fit than another center.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What do we do with Joey/Duchene in that scenario? Idk, it just seems like at this point a high-end winger would be a better fit than another center.

Well, nothing would need to be done immediately, since those center prospects may not be ready for 1C/2C duties for a year or two. Even then, maybe you break them in on the wing. Eventually, maybe you swap them and put Johansen and Duchene on the wing... or send one to the 3rd line, especially considering that Duchene will be well past 30 by that point. That seems like a good problem to have, as opposed to being stuck with them as the 1C and 2C, underwhelmed with their production and constantly trying to get the most out of them for the next 5 years. Also, there's always the expansion draft.

Lafreniere would be awesome to have, as well, but some feel that Byfield may have the greater potential and the Preds sure could use a big #1C. Championship teams tend to have them. Anyways, it's an option. Well, it may be an option if they win the lottery. We don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

That seems like madness from a Kings POV.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I just want to know what it’s like to have a legit forward stud on the team. It would be even better to not have to go through a complete hell of a rebuild that we’ve never had to deal with to get one.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That seems like madness from a Kings POV.
This sounds like some BS Eklund made up because it's stupid and LA would be really stupid to do it.

Yes, I doubt it, too. I said elsewhere that it sounded more like speculation to me than actual rumor because, obviously, we don't even know who will have the first overall pick. Still, it can be fun to discuss such things, anyways.

I found the link: Blockbuster Rumor: LA Kings prepare trade package for #1 pick

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So Lafreniere really could be playing with McDavid, Crosby, or Matthews. The NHL is going to be in so much trouble if that happens. Good lord, they opened themselves up for a can of worms with this draft lottery format. :eek:

Kebs

Def not just a zombie tiger typing
Aug 21, 2009
Nashville, TN
So Lafreniere really could be playing with McDavid, Crosby, or Matthews. The NHL is going to be in so much trouble if that happens. Good lord, they opened themselves up for a can of worms with this draft lottery format. :eek:

I've got my bottle of bourbon ready for this scenario...or if he goes to the Peg or even Minni at this point. As much as it would be great in my heart of hearts, I know it's not going to be the Preds with the pick and I have my bottle to help me cry.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Do you really think the league would view him going to a team with an established star player as "trouble?" This would be a coup for the league.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Do you really think the league would view him going to a team with an established star player as "trouble?" This would be a coup for the league.
They'd receive a ton of flak from the fans and media. And likely from the BoG. And it will hurt them if they miss the chance to have a struggling franchise bolstered vs. a team that has already basically maxed out its contribution to the league. I mean, nobody is saying they'll fold the league or anything. They'll have shot themselves in the foot, accidents happen, the foot will heal. But they don't market like the NBA or someplace where a Dream Team running roughshod over the other 31 franchises will actually sell. They need healthy franchises, parity, gate receipts in all 32 cities.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Looking forward to putting on my outrage and self pity hats when some team that's had more than their fair share of draft luck get yet another player with potential that this organization can only dream of having apparently.

At least this is supposedly a deep draft.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Looking forward to putting on my outrage and self pity hats when some team that's had more than their fair share of draft luck get yet another player with potential that this organization can only dream of having apparently.

At least this is supposedly a deep draft.
I'm just glad it's all over in about 4 hours from now. At least we don't have too much time to get too starry-eyed about it. We can put it behind us and like you say even #11 or #12 should be a pretty good player. We got Tomasino and Tolvanen a lot lower than that recently, so if our scouting is on the ball we should really be looking at a top-half of the roster player coming out of this... that should be the expectation, anyway.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
as I said on reddit...

I'm assuming #12: 49.9% odds
#11: 37.6%
#1: 12.5%
because either way, COVID was a boon for the Preds draftwise. If you go by NHL standings, Preds would have made the playoffs traditionally and picked #16 with a 1rd loss.
#12 with a 50.1% chance of getting #11 or #1 vs #16? Huge win.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The placeholder Team E won the lottery. Team E would have had the 12th best odds. I believe that's Nashville. Obviously this is a new draft but that's a good sign.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well, it wasn't Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Toronto, or Winnipeg. So I can live with it. The Rangers make for a good NHL dynasty, I suppose.

And #11 is better than #12.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4