NHL entry draft

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Did they just not pay their European scouts since Covid or what? That was quite the little run on overage USHL juniors there at the end. After some of the late round successes we've had with European picks, it's at least a novel approach. :skeptic:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Gotta say, all things considered, that was not a particularly fun draft. Maybe it will turn out to have been sheer unexpected brilliance in hindsight. But I... hoped for more. :(

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Even worse several other teams got better compensation for their picks after us too. We traded 135 for 202 and 209. Leafs traded 137 for 153 and 212. Penguins traded 139 for 149 and 211. Canes traded 140 for 159 and a 7th next year. Blues traded 146 for 163 and 194.

Its all a crapshoot at this point but we really couldn't gotten any of those other better deals?
Damn. I mean that makes poile look awful. All his moves are questionable. His time is about up it seems.

Seriously, though? How does poile get 202 and 209 for 135?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Damn. I mean that makes poile look awful. All his moves are questionable. His time is about up it seems.

Seriously, though? How does poile get 202 and 209 for 135?
By 135 you're already talking about a prospect that's statistically unlikely to play in the NHL. Poile probably had a list of guys they would be ok with drafting, figured a sufficient number would be on the board in the 200s, and took a stab on long-shot quantity rather than quality. Plenty to criticize him for, but management on the backside of the draft I'm going to give him the beneift of the doubt on, especially since he's found some gems there.

Reactions: Scoresberg

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
By 135 you're already talking about a prospect that's statistically unlikely to play in the NHL. Poile probably had a list of guys they would be ok with drafting, figured a sufficient number would be on the board in the 200s, and took a stab on long-shot quantity rather than quality. Plenty to criticize him for, but management on the backside of the draft I'm going to give him the beneift of the doubt on, especially since he's found some gems there.
I don't know value of picks but the trades immediately after from @Predsanddead24 list were all infinitely better.

It's just a weird and bad look imo.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Gotta say, all things considered, that was not a particularly fun draft. Maybe it will turn out to have been sheer unexpected brilliance in hindsight. But I... hoped for more. :(
I think it’s the disappointment from using the 1st on a Russian Goalie that has me down. It’s just a huge swing for the fence that historically has not ever worked out for this franchise. It’s still hard to understand.

Reactions: AdmiralsFan24

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think it’s the disappointment from using the 1st on a Russian Goalie that has me down. It’s just a huge swing for the fence that historically has not ever worked out for this franchise. It’s still hard to understand.

Historically here being twice in 20+ years. Time for us as fans to let go of the memories, or lack thereof, of Brian Finley.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Overall, I'd say that was a pretty underwhelming draft for us. I think we mostly failed in filling our cupboards, although the Kunin trade certainly affected that a lot. I'm glad we didn't give up any next year's picks.

We got our franchise goalie which I'm happy about but after that there's not much there. Evangelista could become good but seems raw and ultimately nothing special. After him, there's just bunch of meh, not a single value pick in the draft.

Earlier when I said we could walk away essentially with 3 first round talents, well, I think we're gonna walk away with just one.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Historically here being twice in 20+ years. Time for us as fans to let go of the memories, or lack thereof, of Brian Finley.
Also Russian, don’t forget that.
If he is that great. Consider He plays for a rich team in Russia so he gets a 8 million dollar a year contract to stay whereas Predators offer a entry level contract. He plays 4 years in Russia and Predators lose his rights and he becomes Free Agent
If he is Chet Pickard then he dresses for a few games.

Rumor is Poile had trade down offers and he should have taken one.
Say Turris + #11 to Ottawa for NYI’s 1st plus 3 2nds and a 3rd or Ottawa’s 1st next year plus 2 2nds would have been 1000 times better.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Also Russian, don’t forget that.
If he is that great. Consider He plays for a rich team in Russia so he gets a 8 million dollar a year contract to stay whereas Predators offer a entry level contract. He plays 4 years in Russia and Predators lose his rights and he becomes Free Agent
If he is Chet Pickard then he dresses for a few games.

Rumor is Poile had trade down offers and he should have taken one.
Say Turris + #11 to Ottawa for NYI’s 1st plus 3 2nds and a 3rd or Ottawa’s 1st next year plus 2 2nds would have been 1000 times better.

Highest paid KHL player Sergei Mozyakin made 180 million rubles last season, which would be around 2.8 million USD. And we hold his rights indefinitely according to CapFriendly, so to my understanding if he wants to play in the NHL, he can't sign with anyone else except us.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Highest paid KHL player Sergei Mozyakin made 180 million rubles last season, which would be around 2.8 million USD. And we hold his rights indefinitely according to CapFriendly, so to my understanding if he wants to play in the NHL, he can't sign with anyone else except us.
That’s good news.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Doesn't change the fact his history in that position stinks.

Well if we're going back 20+ years we might as well go back to Poile's Washington days. He drafted Carey(Vezina winner) at 32, and Olaf Kolzig at 19 so I'd say his history is quite good no? 5 goalies in 38 years, one franchise guy in Kolzig, one Vezina winner who would flame out early, two busts and Askarov.

Reactions: Bick Nonino

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well if we're going back 20+ years we might as well go back to Poile's Washington days. He drafted Carey(Vezina winner) at 32, and Olaf Kolzig at 19 so I'd say his history is quite good no? 5 goalies in 38 years, one franchise guy in Kolzig, one Vezina winner who would flame out early, two busts and Askarov.
I don't care. Nothing you can say will make me agree with picking a goalie at #11.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad