NHL entry draft

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If the guy truly is a generational talent then you take him no matter what is offered. Ask Washington or Pittsburgh if they would trade theirs for a #3 and #5.
Even if he's not a generational talent, if he's the clear BPA you take him. We're not a team bereft of talent that needs to leverage such an asset into 3-4 lesser pieces, we need a top-end talent. Trying to get too cute here will just lead to us f'ing it up.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
The only “knock” on Laf is that he’s a wing not a center. If he’s a C he’s in a whole other stratosphere of hype.

If we somehow get #1 you take Laf unless someone grossly overpays.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The only “knock” on Laf is that he’s a wing not a center. If he’s a C he’s in a whole other stratosphere of hype.

If we somehow get #1 you take Laf unless someone grossly overpays.
Frankly we need wingers more than centers so that doesn't really matter.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Even if he's not a generational talent, if he's the clear BPA you take him. We're not a team bereft of talent that needs to leverage such an asset into 3-4 lesser pieces, we need a top-end talent. Trying to get too cute here will just lead to us f'ing it up.
Poile often times does things with history in mind as well. We've never had a #1 which makes it even less likely he would trade it imo.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Frankly we need wingers more than centers so that doesn't really matter.
I dunno about that one. Johansen and Duchene should be the answer but neither one really wowed me. Would trade them both for one mackinnon or barkov in a heart beat.

All of that aside, getting Laf would consequently up the games of either of those centres by at least 15-20 points.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I mean, we'll know in 48 hours if there is even any point in talking about Lafreniere. It's not too long to just wait and see where that goes before dissecting the options, afaic.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I dunno about that one. Johansen and Duchene should be the answer but neither one really wowed me. Would trade them both for one mackinnon or barkov in a heart beat.

All of that aside, getting Laf would consequently up the games of either of those centres by at least 15-20 points.
Well of course you would trade them for those players, but those players for us haven't been out there to get, so they aren't bad considering. Certainly better than Turris, Granlund and Smith have been as wingers.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Jofa is fine bat Laf and a Tolvanin/Tomasino would most likely activate Dutch/Turris to the level they're paid for and possibly move Jofa to a true #2
I would be interested in Laf-Duchene-Tomasino. Go get that top pick and see how they look at camp (whenever it happens).

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
All of this talk about the 1st pick and what we would do if we had it.

I’m more interested in what you would do to have that pick? I saw someone say they’d bet a left testicle and some cash that Pittsburgh would get it. Would you just give up that lefty to ensure we get the pick?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

I’m more interested in what you would do to have that pick? I saw someone say they’d bet a left testicle and some cash that Pittsburgh would get it. Would you just give up that lefty to ensure we get the pick?

What would Pittsburgh want and why would be the question. They don't have a single meaningful forward or top 4 defender under 25 and they've already won multiple cups. Lafreniere solves so many problems for them.

Do they want to win another one and want Josi or whomever ++, and do we want to pay that? Or do they want a slew of young assets and do we even have enough to make it worth their while? Ottawa has 3 + 5 and one of the best prospect pools in the league, we have 11-13th Tomasino, Afasynev and Farrance.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Most of what I have seen he is more comparable to Taylor Hall than McDavid. Funny thing about the Taylor Hall draft is we had 4 of the 1st round picks from that year on our team
Tinordi, Johansen, Granlund, Watson.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

My left nut and a million dollars. Give me a million and I will bet both on Pittsburgh to win the fixed lottery.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
What would Pittsburgh want and why would be the question. They don't have a single meaningful forward or top 4 defender under 25 and they've already won multiple cups. Lafreniere solves so many problems for them.

Do they want to win another one and want Josi or whomever ++, and do we want to pay that? Or do they want a slew of young assets and do we even have enough to make it worth their while? Ottawa has 3 + 5 and one of the best prospect pools in the league, we have 11-13th Tomasino, Afasynev and Farrance.

I don’t even know what this has to do with what I posted but I’m glad you answered so succinctly.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Um, I would change my username to something ridiculous like NNCBama if we could have that pick anyway.

And I'd also vow to post no more lineup suggestions until October.

That's probably more right there than Lefty is worth these days. :dunno:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

I barely use it so I'd up it to two! And if you like, I can add 40lbs of adipose tissue!

Last edited:
Reactions: LCPreds

OpenWheel

Jan 10, 2007
Keweenaw Peninsula

And all the talk about Askarov brings one name to mind - Chet Pickard.
LOL - When Poile made that pick he said goalies command a "premium" in the league, as one reason why he had to draft one.. Then it was 2 or 3 years when I saw him asked about packaging goalie assets with guys to make a move, and he said the market was down for goalies in the NHL and you just couldn't get what you should for them in trades.

Total head scratching stuff to me. I couldn't believe it. Pick a goalie "they command a premium", short time later his belief was can't get #### for goalies as trade assets... Probably should have anticipated some of that then and not drafted one, could have picked one up undervalued.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey

OpenWheel

Jan 10, 2007
Keweenaw Peninsula
I would love for Jack Quinn to fall to us. If not him then Conner Zary, Seth Jarvis. Sanderson if you want to draft defense but I’m hoping poile drafts a forward
If we end up with Jack Quinn, I would be excited. Just reading the reviews where he attributes his big gains in the last year or so, (including in skating ability according to the scouting reviews) to only having a true training regimen from age 16, make me think he's going to be the real deal, not a a high junior achiever who levels out. He sounds like both high skill and work ethic now.

If we get #1 , and trade it for two or more assets as good as Quinn, I'd be over the moon. (Edited to add if we win #1 I'd be over the moon whether we trade it or not ... :D Even though I think for the right price you can trade it.)

Last edited:
Reactions: maplepred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad