NHL entry draft

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
First off, bummer we got beat out but most of us felt like we didn’t have the oomph to do it this year. Let’s focus on the draft.

What are the exact odds of us getting the first overall pick now? Like 12.5% chance I heard? Just imagine Lafreniere in a Preds jersey! Damn! Finally would be that elite forward we have not really ever had since Kariya.

If we do not win the lottery. Where about should we expect to be selecting? Anyone have any early favourites they like in this draft?

I’m assuming the draft will be in October?

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
First off, bummer we got beat out but most of us felt like we didn’t have the oomph to do it this year. Let’s focus on the draft.

What are the exact odds of us getting the first overall pick now? Like 12.5% chance I heard? Just imagine Lafreniere in a Preds jersey! Damn! Finally would be that elite forward we have not really ever had since Kariya.

If we do not win the lottery. Where about should we expect to be selecting? Anyone have any early favourites they like in this draft?

I would love for Jack Quinn to fall to us. If not him then Conner Zary, Seth Jarvis. Sanderson if you want to draft defense but I’m hoping poile drafts a forward

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

Odds are 1-8 or 12.5%. Worst case we end up with 15 but likely will be 11-13 based on the other games.

We want Chicago, Winnipeg and Minnesota to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: maplepred

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Preds can either pick 1, 11, 12, or 13. If the Hawks win the series, 13 will no longer be an option. If the Preds get in the 11, 12 range, mock drafts have that for the range of goalie Askarov, I could see Polie trading down and get more picks or package their 2 2nds for a move up.

This is a big, BIG draft year. Media has been talking about this draft for 2 years.

Also Poile has NEVER had the #1 pick. Neither have the Preds.

12,5% chance at #1, Monday is the 2nd draft lottery.

For me, I want a d-man. The goal pipeline looks solid, D is top heavy with Josi-Ellis-Ekholm for the next 2 years, after that it's Davies and enh. F Tolvanen and Tomassino. Having a pick this high in this Great of a draft is a gamechanger.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Preds can either pick 1, 11, 12, or 13. If the Hawks win the series, 13 will no longer be an option. If the Preds get in the 11, 12 range, mock drafts have that for the range of goalie Askarov, I could see Polie trading down and get more picks or package their 2 2nds for a move up.

This is a big, BIG draft year. Media has been talking about this draft for 2 years.

For me, I want a d-man. The goal pipeline looks solid, D is top heavy with Josi-Ellis-Ekholm for the next 2 years, after that it's Davies and enh. F Tolvanen and Tomassino. Having a pick this high in this Great of a draft is a gamechanger.
Hard pass on a D man. It is more evident than ever this team lacks high-end forward talent, and this draft is supposed to be really loaded at the top half of the 1st round. Forward or bust.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I can already imagine the reaction here if we were to pick Askarov.

Drysdale and Sanderson will likely both be gone by the time our pick comes, and picking one of the next tier of defensemen like Guhle and Schneider in our spot would be bit of a reach, so forward seems like the likeliest option. Lundell, Holtz, Amirov, Quinn, Zary, Gunler.. lots of possibilities.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

I would trade the 1st overall to Ottawa for the #3 and Islanders 1st plus 3 2nds or #5 plus Islanders 1st and 4 2nds

I can already imagine the reaction here if we were to pick Askarov.
This team has an amazing track record of 1st round goalies.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Odds are 1-8 or 12.5%. Worst case we end up with 15 but likely will be 11-13 based on the other games.

We want Chicago, Winnipeg and Minnesota to win.

Cheer for Chicago to win? Something about that just doesn’t sit right with me. I literally always want them to lose, first for everything I guess :D

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Cheer for Chicago to win? Something about that just doesn’t sit right with me. I literally always want them to lose, first for everything I guess :D

we just needed them to win yesterday, which they did. Carry on with the usual hatred of those a-holes.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I haven't followed the prospects very closely this year. But I would tend to say, if we're picking 11 or 12, it's probably a case of just watching to see if anybody falls through a bit. There are a lot of more mid-size/compact forwards, the kinds who have some good numbers but maybe not ideal skating, and no power forwards. So I think that's a fairly risky generic player type for us, unless it's one of the higher-ranked guys dropping back unexpectedly on draft day.

I think if Askarov is there, he's a strong candidate to consider. He's a home-run swing. You don't pass him up just because of Finley and Pickard or whoever.

On D I kind of like Wallinder. I guess I will have to go off and read about some of these guys a little more seriously now, though.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I haven't followed the prospects very closely this year. But I would tend to say, if we're picking 11 or 12, it's probably a case of just watching to see if anybody falls through a bit. There are a lot of more mid-size/compact forwards, the kinds who have some good numbers but maybe not ideal skating, and no power forwards. So I think that's a fairly risky generic player type for us, unless it's one of the higher-ranked guys dropping back unexpectedly on draft day.

I think if Askarov is there, he's a strong candidate to consider. He's a home-run swing. You don't pass him up just because of Finley and Pickard or whoever.

On D I kind of like Wallinder. I guess I will have to go off and read about some of these guys a little more seriously now, though.

I honestly think Ingram is so underrated and is going to be a force for us one day. Poile is good at nabbing goalies later but bad with forwards so I vote go all out for a forward first round. Thankfully we didn’t trade this pick!!

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Reading a few mocks and Jack Quinn seems like a good name that should be available in the 10-13 range. See some folks compare him to Forsberg.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I honestly think Ingram is so underrated and is going to be a force for us one day. Poile is good at nabbing goalies later but bad with forwards so I vote go all out for a forward first round. Thankfully we didn’t trade this pick!!
I'm a lot more cautious about Ingram, I suppose. But even if he does pan out, it can never hurt to have top assets, and when you look at those goalies that have come up like Vasilevsky, Samsonov, Sorokhin, Shesterkin... maybe once upon a time their teams didn't think they'd need them either, but it seems like Askarov could be a prospect on that order. Whether we need a goalie today or any time in the next 5 years even isn't really the point... if he turns out to be the best player in that spot in the draft, I think we'd end up happy to have the options in goal when the time comes.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Lundell is a top6 two-way centerman in the making. I'm a bit biased being a fan of his FEL team, but I think he's got 1C potential. Bit slow first step, but is strong on the puck, wins a lot of battles, has good playmaking skills and a decent shot. Yeah and he's very responsible defensively. Seems very mature for 18 year old.

He's pretty much the same size as Bonino. I think they play similarly on the boards and on the puck, with the exception that Lundell has better offensive skillset.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The Lafreniere sweepstakes part of the season is in full swing now!
And (perhaps mercifully) this part of the season will be even shorter than that play-in week. By Monday night it'll all be over.

THEN it's going to be an excruciatingly long wait until mid-October when all the real off-season work can begin. :confused:

Reactions: Kat Predator

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Honestly Askarov will probably be the BPA available if he's there when we pick, and from what I've heard he's even more hyped than Knight was last year. I think I'd warm up to the idea of him, but yeesh, it's the most Nashville pick, who knows where we'll be down the line when he's ready to play though.

Saros, while able to make a lot of great saves, will always have a disadvantage up high. He may save a lot of games for us, but he'll be the cause of important loses.

It'd be the logical move, even if we just pick him to be traded later, but I'm skittish on picking goalies that high, especially with our track record.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Lundell is a top6 two-way centerman in the making. I'm a bit biased being a fan of his FEL team, but I think he's got 1C potential. Bit slow first step, but is strong on the puck, wins a lot of battles, has good playmaking skills and a decent shot. Yeah and he's very responsible defensively. Seems very mature for 18 year old.

He's pretty much the same size as Bonino. I think they play similarly on the boards and on the puck, with the exception that Lundell has better offensive skillset.
having PTSD from legwand. anytime i hear two way center and first round, i have flash backs.

(no knock on leggy)

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I would trade the 1st overall to Ottawa for the #3 and Islanders 1st plus 3 2nds or #5 plus Islanders 1st and 4 2nds

The rumor is #3 AND #5 and I wonder if you could ask for more.

If I'm the Preds, I want to see if anyone will blow me away for #1, there are a lot of teams (Ottawa, NJ) that have a LOT of draft capital. Here's how I see it:

Preds get #1 and listen to offers. Ottawa has 3, 5, NYI's pick, 33, 46, 52, 53, 64. NJ has 7, AZ's pick, TB's, no 2nds

Laf is getting the Generational tag because he won CHL player of the year twice. Only other player to do that is Sidney Crosby. Also Laf is a wing Crosby is a center.

In my head, I equate Laf to a more playmaking Ovi who is also getting comparisons to Guy LaFleur. To be honest, I would have to be blown away for him.

Next best case is MN, WPG, or NYR get #1 and NSH's pick moves up to #11. That is the Askarov position. Preds should go into full auction mode at this pick. Once again Ottawa is in the mix, would you say yes to NYI's pick and 3 of 4 of their 2nd's? OTT is in a position to own the draft. and make someone very rich in picks.

Pick 12 is same as above, worse case is if FLA, PIT, OIL, TOR/CBJ get #1. Worst case for the Preds because they woulds be at 12, worse case for the league, 75% chance Laf goes to PIT, TOR, OIL.

EDIT: 12.5% chance at 1, 37.6% at 11, 49.9% chance at 12

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The rumor is #3 AND #5 and I wonder if you could ask for more.

If I'm the Preds, I want to see if anyone will blow me away for #1, there are a lot of teams (Ottawa, NJ) that have a LOT of draft capital. Here's how I see it:

Preds get #1 and listen to offers. Ottawa has 3, 5, NYI's pick, 33, 46, 52, 53, 64. NJ has 7, AZ's pick, TB's, no 2nds

Laf is getting the Generational tag because he won CHL player of the year twice. Only other player to do that is Sidney Crosby. Also Laf is a wing Crosby is a center.

In my head, I equate Laf to a more playmaking Ovi who is also getting comparisons to Guy LaFleur. To be honest, I would have to be blown away for him.

Next best case is MN, WPG, or NYR get #1 and NSH's pick moves up to #11. That is the Askarov position. Preds should go into full auction mode at this pick. Once again Ottawa is in the mix, would you say yes to NYI's pick and 3 of 4 of their 2nd's? OTT is in a position to own the draft. and make someone very rich in picks.

Pick 12 is same as above, worse case is if FLA, PIT, OIL, TOR/CBJ get #1. Worst case for the Preds because they woulds be at 12, worse case for the league, 75% chance Laf goes to PIT, TOR, OIL.
I was looking for quantity of picks over quality of picks. Both #3 and #5 would be quite a haul but I think Ottawa would want more in return. Predators could throw in a 2nd.
In my trade Predators get 2 1st plus 3 or 4 2nds which would give them tons of draft capital
Predators would have 2 1sts and 5 or 6 2nds with the chance to trade back up into the same spot (11th 12th) they would have been all along or acquire another 1st.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I was looking for quantity of picks over quality of picks. Both #3 and #5 would be quite a haul but I think Ottawa would want more in return. Predators could throw in a 2nd.
In my trade Predators get 2 1st plus 3 or 4 2nds which would give them tons of draft capital
Predators would have 2 1sts and 5 or 6 2nds with the chance to trade back up into the same spot (11th 12th) they would have been all along or acquire another 1st.

If Laf is as highly ranked as some are saying, 3+5+ might be the asking price

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If we get the 1st we need to just draft Laf. The only chance we had to draft someone like him was Jones. You draft him and figure out the rest later.
If the guy truly is a generational talent then you take him no matter what is offered. Ask Washington or Pittsburgh if they would trade theirs for a #3 and #5.

Reactions: Gh24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->