NHL entry draft

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I get bitching about the pick but the fact is, we were drafting outside the top-10 and all the top forward prospects had gone before us. It's not like there were any surefire prospects who can immediately help our franchise left.

The best forward prospects left were Lundell, who's ceiling is a defensive 2C in the NHL and Jarvis who's one of the biggest boom or bust prospects in the 1st round and with our history of developing skilled forwards I'm not sold on we could've turned him into a steal in this draft.

With the 11th pick, we took the best player and the most secure prospect available and I'm happy about it. We're set in goal for the next 15 years.
You have an awful lot of faith in a kid that is playing on the other side of the world and doesn't know a thing about Nashville.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
You have an awful lot of faith in a kid that is playing on the other side of the world and doesn't know a thing about Nashville.

I do because I don't see the Russian factor as big of a problem as it once was. Sure, we haven't had much success with Russian players in our history but it's only been the last few years we've started to draft from there again after the debacle in 2012.

Those Russians who have the skill to play in the NHL rarely skip the chance to come over and make themselves known these days. We're seeing a wave of Russian goalies invading the league right now and if Askarov is good enough, he will join that group of goalies in a couple of years.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com

Oh please, how many players in the entire history of the Preds knew much if anything about Nashville before coming here? And Askarov said he is aware of the crowd here, so he's not clueless about the organization, probably only the city which is completely understandable. I bet he'll know a lot more in short order.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Oh please, how many players in the entire history of the Preds knew much if anything about Nashville before coming here? And Askarov said he is aware of the crowd here, so he's not clueless about the organization, probably only the city which is completely understandable. I bet he'll know a lot more in short order.

I'm going to guess that almost any European player doesn't know a thing about Nashville as a city. Hell most of the North American players probably don't know much about it beyond country music either.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Unless he busts, goes to the KHL or Trump and Putin decide to go at it

Joke aside, I get your point and you may ofcourse be right. But still, there are plenty of #11 picks that have turned into very good offensive players, Forsberg being one of them. As this is supposed to be a very deep draft year one also could think that the chance would be good to hit something nicer than usual.

I will enjoy having him and look forward to watching him put the preds jersey on. As long as we dont turn into the Habs :)
Forsberg was kind of a different situation. He was the top-ranked European skater in his draft year and many mock drafts had him going as high as #3 or 4. There wasn't a similar case of such a player falling to #11 in this draft.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I'm going to guess that almost any European player doesn't know a thing about Nashville as a city. Hell most of the North American players probably don't know much about it beyond country music either.
I saw an article on Rinne and he didn’t even know where Nashville was. Him and his agent had to goggle it and even afterward he was still confused why they played hockey here. Are we any different than Carolina, Edmonton, Calgary ect. Most Europeans only know LA, NY and Miami in the US

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
Forsberg was kind of a different situation. He the top-ranked European skater in his draft year and many mock drafts had him going as high as #3 or 4. There wasn't a similar case of such a player falling to #11 in this draft.

Sure but its not like he's then only #11 who have turned into a good to great player. For the preds you have Ellis and Fiala (to think of it #11 players are kind of our thing) and for other teams in recent (20 years) you have examples in Kopitar and Carter. But yea ofcourse there is no sure thing but the way we all for excited for Tolvanen at #29 we should have been extatic with a forward att #11 this deep year.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
did we really just trade all of that for Luke Kunin? I guess we really needed to shed some money

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Kunin had a fairly similar stat-line but much younger and has team friendly contract wise compared to Bonino. Looks like he's just completing his entry contract. There's got to be some American connection with Poile there.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Kunin had a fairly similar stat-line but much younger and has team friendly contract wise compared to Bonino. Looks like he's just completing his entry contract. There's got to be some American connection with Poile there.
Dumps money, makes room for Turris at 3C (assuming we can't trade him and don't want to buy him out), and gets someone that's supposed to have a great shot (Kunin).

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Kunin is only 22. Had 15 goals (all at even strength) and 31 points in 63 games. He'll probably fall off a cliff in Nashville as all forwards do, but it looks like a good trade on the surface.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad