NHL entry draft

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I do enjoy having a good heel so I would actually be sad to see you go. Still pretty weak not to be willing to backup your absurd predictions. Want to make a more friendly bet then? Username change or something?
Most that disagree with me end up in the end being wrong. Cases in point Chris Mason never like his game. Carter Hutton hated is game here and hes been worse in Buffalo, Many of the half assed wingers over the years that were fan favorites yet were boat anchors as players in Nashville starting with Tootoo. Dan Ellis was another hot name I did not care for even that lttle worm Scott Walker who people just drooled over until he made the statement that the NHL could contract and move the team from Nashville. Then there are the retread players like Hartnell, Mason, Hamhuis who many wanted to come in failures all. Then how about Wayne Simmons or Turris and even Johansan all sub par but posters want to hate me for telling you like it is. Thats fine the bottom line is this organization will not move forward the way Poile has pieced the team together. His overpayment for big names that just come here to die. Gone are the days when he signed Paul Kariya, Steve Sullivan Jason Arnott, JP Dumont. This roster now is unimpressive and the only central division team worse are the Wild. I do not like it but thats where it is. So hate on me all you like but this team is a wreck right now.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Really sticking your neck out there saying you won't post again if the guy they just gave a new contract and full NMC to is traded. Keep making conservative bets like that and you're going to make Marsha Blackburn look liberal.
Ohhhhh I do not like Marsha Blackburn either. Shes a power hunger politician. When she was in the state house she was great but once she was elected to the House she caught the DC bug and nopw that she is in the senate she has it even worse. I think she has asperations of a cabinet set or a VP run under Pence.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I hate drafting goalies early because they are so unpredictable developmentally. It is truly one of the hardest areas to scout.

I hated the pickard pick, Finley pick, Jeremy smith pick...Any goalie in the top 2 rounds really miffed me.

With that said, this kid has talent. I will give him a chance. The move was to move up in the draft and get the player you wanted, rather than to wait. When you wait, you take who is on your board. IT was clear he was a target. I wonder how high the Predators had him rated. He may have been a top 5 player on their board. In which case, they played their hand perfectly.
I always like your posts. You got a good head on your shoulders. It's hard to guess how this pans out... I just have a hard time getting over how much I hate this pick. Lundell being available makes it tougher to swallow all the more.

Reactions: Enoch

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yeah until he decides not to come to the US or that he wants to play for us. Then you can watch that value sink into nothing.

And if he does come here? It'll never happen until it does. If we're going to be a professional sports team we're going to be shooting for the moon sometimes and eventually it will pay off.

Yeah we just have Russian running all over the place around here. :rolleyes:

Do you think in 2004 anyone would be able to point out Alexander Ovechkin from a random line-up? We've come a long way since he was drafted and came back to Russia. And another thing, Askarov is not Radulov. We have no idea what his interests are and how he'll like Nashville.

You

Jul 1, 2010
Most that disagree with me end up in the end being wrong. Cases in point Chris Mason never like his game. Carter Hutton hated is game here and hes been worse in Buffalo, Many of the half assed wingers over the years that were fan favorites yet were boat anchors as players in Nashville starting with Tootoo. Dan Ellis was another hot name I did not care for even that lttle worm Scott Walker who people just drooled over until he made the statement that the NHL could contract and move the team from Nashville. Then there are the retread players like Hartnell, Mason, Hamhuis who many wanted to come in failures all. Then how about Wayne Simmons or Turris and even Johansan all sub par but posters want to hate me for telling you like it is. Thats fine the bottom line is this organization will not move forward the way Poile has pieced the team together. His overpayment for big names that just come here to die. Gone are the days when he signed Paul Kariya, Steve Sullivan Jason Arnott, JP Dumont. This roster now is unimpressive and the only central division team worse are the Wild. I do not like it but thats where it is. So hate on me all you like but this team is a wreck right now.
I was with you when you were talking about how our backup goalies were backup goalies, but Kyle Turris is the best center in the NHL. Apologize.

Reactions: Byrddog

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
There are a TON of really skilled forwards still available, it’s making me really excited for tomorrow
And a couple D I really like too... but who am I fooling, they will probably be the next 2 picks. A forward or two might survive through, though... :crossfing

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I really dislike drafting a goalie that high, but I think it's more that this team just makes me sad. We've majorly regressed, our roster is looking a fair bit worse than prior seasons (which already were trending the wrong way). I think we're basically a #7/#8 seed again going forward and our contracts and roster make-up (and probably financial constraints) offer no way to significantly change that.

A 1st round goalie that is at least 2-3 years away (even if he does pan out) is just the icing on the cake. I know few players still on the board would habe been any different, I guess I was just foolishly hoping for...something drastically hopeful for the here and now.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I really dislike drafting a goalie that high, but I think it's more that this team just makes me sad. We've majorly regressed, our roster is looking a fair bit worse than prior seasons (which already were trending the wrong way). I think we're basically a #7/#8 seed again going forward and our contracts and roster make-up (and probably financial constraints) offer no way to significantly change that.

A 1st round goalie that is at least 2-3 years away (even if he does pan out) is just the icing on the cake. I know few players still on the board would habe been any different, I guess I was just foolishly hoping for...something drastically hopeful for the here and now.

A lot can change in 2-3 years, hell even 4-5. Five years ago could you have seen that we wouldn't have Shea Weber and we'd make the finals without him in just two seasons? Or that Josi would be the first Predator with a Norris?

By the time Askarov is here, or is ready to be a starter or is a franchise goalie the team can easily have gone from rebuilding to contending. Maybe he comes in at the perfect time.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
A lot can change in 2-3 years, hell even 4-5. By the time Askarov is here, or is ready to be a starter or is a franchise goalie the team can easily have gone from rebuilding to contending. Maybe he comes in at the perfect time.
That's the bleakest part right now though. Lot of our core will be on the decline in that timeframe. Unless we manage to jettison some of those contracts and do a great job with our drafting/development, we're due for the major rebuild right about this kid coming online. Even if he's extraordinary we'll be wasting his RFA years with a crappy team and who knows whether he'll want to stick around beyond that. I know that's a whole lot of speculation, but that's about the timeline we always figured we had with this group.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011

My thoughts but more elegantly stated.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Imagine drafting a goalie. After all remember Finley, Pickard, Rinne, Oh, there’s that. Poile and the Preds did actually draft the best player the Preds have ever had; one who brought the franchise to the lofty heights it has attained.

Why do we just remember Finley and Pickard? Maybe drafting a goalie this high is suspect but you’ve got to find one cause you’ve got to have one.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
That's the bleakest part right now though. Lot of our core will be on the decline in that timeframe. Unless we manage to jettison some of those contracts and do a great job with our drafting/development, we're due for the major rebuild right about this kid coming online. Even if he's extraordinary we'll be wasting his RFA years with a crappy team and who knows whether he'll want to stick around beyond that. I know that's a whole lot of speculation, but that's about the timeline we always figured we had with this group.

Yeah, it sucks, but look at both St. Louis and Washington. Those cores were so maligned on here...but they stuck with it and came back to win the cup. Does it suck that Granlund and Turris didn't live up to expectations and wasted a prime year or two of our core? You bet, but we still have a good core and right now Josi and Ekholm are the only two above 30.

What if everything aligns for us. Duchene started off great here, what if him and Trenin/Tolvanen/Tomasino click and he posts another 70 point season on the second line? We saw what JOFA line did when Arvidsson was 100% again. Both those lines click at the same time and Fabbro gains more experience and we're right back in the running.

There are so many variables, I'm just going to be happy with our pick. Highest rated goalie of the draft, highest rated goalie in a decade. There's a chance he won't make it, I know, but there's also a chance he'll be a franchise player, and at 11 we shouldn't complain. We shouldn't even have been drafting at 11.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Another thing. I think drafting a goalie in the first round every decade should be fine. I'm not going to be pissed about this pick, if, in 2-4 years we pick another goalie in the first round then I think we can be pissed.

I don't remember '99 too much so I'm gonna say that one was unforgivable. It sucks. We should not have drafted Brian Finley that high.

2008 though, we had a top 10 pick in addition to Pickard, choosing the best rated goalie absolutely made sense there. We went into a rebuild with a top 10 rated NA skater the top rated goalie in the draft and a top 10 rated Euro skater in Josi. That's smart drafting even in 2/3rds of them didn't pan out the way we wanted them to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad