Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

At 53, him or Korczak would be good picks. Size, toughness, not useless offensively. Anyone we get in the 2nd is a project.

I kind of have a feeling we'll end up with another top 60 pick but also don't have a lot of strong opinions this year on who we pick.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
If we can pick up a couple more mid-round picks this might be the year to take a couple goalies.

I would love to get both Sogaard and Wolf.

Sogaard faced 5-6 shots more than most of the other top goaltenders per game and still put up outstanding numbers, and Wolf put up slightly better numbers than Scott this year in roughly the same amount of minutes (regular season and playoffs included) as a 17 year old while only facing about a shot less per game.

You can offset their transitions to the Marlies/Growlers by a year as well as Sogaard is an 00' birthdate and Wolf is an 01'

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If we can pick up a couple more mid-round picks this might be the year to take a couple goalies.

I would love to get both Sogaard and Wolf.

Sogaard faced 5-6 shots more than most of the other top goaltenders per game and still put up outstanding numbers, and Wolf put up slightly better numbers than Scott this year in roughly the same amount of minutes (regular season and playoffs included) as a 17 year old while only facing about a shot less per game.

You can offset their transitions to the Marlies/Growlers by a year as well as Sogaard is an 00' birthdate and Wolf is an 01'

Save percentage tends to rise with shots against, it's not always a case of "if he does this well facing 40 shots, imagine how good he'll be facing 20". Some guys just thrive with a busy workload.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
The Maple Leafs should choose Albin Grewe.
Skilled, yet fiesty.
I also like him a lot. Hoping for either him, Nikolayev or another center, that could possibly drop to our spot. :)

Although, if there's a better player available, that's not a center, pick him - BPA.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Save percentage tends to rise with shots against, it's not always a case of "if he does this well facing 40 shots, imagine how good he'll be facing 20". Some guys just thrive with a busy workload.
Medicine Hat was a bad team. They relied on Sogaard heavily. He didn't get off to the greatest start either and got better as the season went on.

I'd take a shot at a 6'7" goaltender that already has the poise and good positioning that he does.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I also like him a lot. Hoping for either him, Nikolayev or another center, that could possibly drop to our spot. :)

Although, if there's a better player available, that's not a center, pick him - BPA.
Reese is a centre who may also be there for our pick. Another fiesty, skilled guy.

Reactions: Visnovsky

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Phillip Tomasino is an interesting get in round 2. Dynamic skater, lots of hustle, needs to add strength and learn the defensive game a bit better (he’s not bad, but if we want to project him as a C, it’ll need to get better)

He’s shooting up the draft though.

Last edited:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Who are the power forwards at or around our picks. That’s who we need to look at, if they have skating and some skill.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Who are the power forwards at or around our picks. That’s who we need to look at, if they have skating and some skill.
Grewe (not huge but plays huge....skilled, good skater)
Foote (great scorer, grinder....not a great skater)
Reese (also, not huge but plays like a power forward.....defensively good, great skater)

Maybe other people can add more..........

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Grewe (not huge but plays huge....skilled, good skater)
Foote (great scorer, grinder....not a great skater)
Reese (also, not huge but plays like a power forward.....defensively good, great skater)

Maybe other people can add more..........
Foote's skating has made significant strides though this season. At the start of the season, I just kept imagining Kerby Rychel but Foote could blossom into a decent pro

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
whats connor brown worth? would love to get another higher end pick in the draft, could we get a 2nd for him? use our 2 2nds then to get a late first is that even worth it in this draft?

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Foote's skating has made significant strides though this season. At the start of the season, I just kept imagining Kerby Rychel but Foote could blossom into a decent pro
That's good news! Also, the fact that he's still in our pick territory is good news. That is, he hasn't climbed up the prospect chart that much. If this guy's skating keeps improving, he may really turn into something. He definitely knows how to score and grind.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
whats connor brown worth? would love to get another higher end pick in the draft, could we get a 2nd for him? use our 2 2nds then to get a late first is that even worth it in this draft?

I think he's easily worth a 2nd. Depending on how high it is, we may have to add a late round pick, but he should get at least a 2nd.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think he's easily worth a 2nd. Depending on how high it is, we may have to add a late round pick, but he should get at least a 2nd.

I think we should go for it, unless brown is the piece another team wants as the "sweetner" for a marleau/Zaitsev deal

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
HockeyProspect.com has just released there brand new Black Book with their final rankings. Here are the top 10 and a link for the remaining 21.

1: Hughes
2: Kakko
3: Byram
4: Turcotte
5: Zegras
6: Krebs
7: Podkolzin
8: Dach
9: Boldy
10: Seider

2019 NHL Draft Rankings - HockeyProspect.com

Just got myself the black book, anybody that particularly interests you in the mid to late rounds this year?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just got myself the black book, anybody that particularly interests you in the mid to late rounds this year?
Haven't really looked at this draft with the same tenacity I usually do. So, I don't really have any recommendations. Might have a few by draft night.

Reactions: Kiwi

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
I have a few! Not so much a late rounder, but Ilya Nikolayev, where is he projected to go per the black book? :)

Then there are Ethan Keppen, Cole Mackay and Josh Williams.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Black book guys - can you give a little review on the book's thoughts on Ryder Donovan? On some mock lists he is as high as #32. On other ones, he's in the #70s! This intrigues me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad