Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Good list. I think somebody will take a shot at Prokop though because he's a 6'4" right shot. I would replace him with Daws ( being a 2nd year draft eligible guy, didn't look great at the WJC), or Kasper Puutio.

In a weak year, I think someone takes a shot at Daws. He's big and arguably the best goalie in the CHL this year. One tournament isn't taking him from 2nd round to undrafted. He also wasn't atrocious, just not amazing.

Puutio was close to making the list, but he is playing on a weaker team with decent underlying numbers so I'd give him another chance. Prokop underwhelms me a little bit right now.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Alright quick recap on the Prospects Game.

Highlights
#CHLKTP Highlights: Team White (5) – Team Red (3) – Ontario Hockey League

Goalies
Disclaimer: I am not a goalie expert, but I can typically tell obvious flaws/strengths.

Daws did not play today for some reason. Gould got the entire game for Team Red. TBH, I think it's the type of performance that would strike him from a lot of Draft Boards... including mine. Besides giving up 5 (technically 6 since one was called back on an offside) goals, he just never looked competent in net at all. Awful positioning, gave up easy goals on both the blocker and glove side, choppy mobility... Besides the big body, which is negated with a really deep crouch anyways, I am not sure there is anything to really like.

Hlavaj was better than Gould, but I was hoping for something a little bit better from him. It was more or less what I saw at the WJC, which is probably not good enough for a D+1. He had more or less the same kinds of issues as Gould: choppy mobility, a slightly awkward crouching stance, a little bit of trouble tracking the puck... But there is some upside with his athleticism.

Both lived up to their billings as guys from this game who could go undrafted.

Garand was by far the best. Easily the best positioning, very athletic, strong at tracking the puck and recovering, mobile, etc.. The issue with him is always going to be that he is small (6'0"), and while he does stay upright with a more upper body crouch, he looks really small in net. That being said, I think someone takes a chance on him just like Calgary did with Dustin Wolf. He may even go a little bit higher than Wolf did, but he is still going to be taken in the later rounds more likely than not.

Defense
I don't know if it is because these guys can't defend, there is just so many offensively talented guys, or it is hard to put a cohesive defensive system together for one game when most of these guys have never played together, but man was defense really choppy from both teams. A ton of guys blowing assignments and leaving guys wide-open while they are either standing still in no-man's land or chasing the puck with 2 of their team mates. It was bad from both sides, and it was an issue that plagued most guys, so it's really hard to tell who was good and who was bad. Forwards were even worse at defending.

I think the best and simplest way of summarizing it is more or less the guys live up to where they are generally slotted on most Mock Drafts.

Drysdale was easily one of the most impressive guys back there. Even when he got beat, he was able to recover so well and shut down even the top guys like Perfetti. Definitely living up to his billing as the top defender in the class.

Schneider, Guhle and O'Rourke looked solid. Not amazing, but solid. Any of them should make their teams happy in the 20's or 30's, and one or more of them could even slip into the teens due to the weaker defensive crop. I liked Poirier's offensive upside, but his defense will need some work. The one guy who really impressed me was Lukas Cormier. Poirier probably still has the most offensive upside outside of Drysdale, but Cormier can make a serious claim for that spot. Moves the puck extremely well, he's packed his 5'10" frame, plays physical, and is solid defensively. He was projected to go late 2nd or early 3rd, and I would definitely take him with either of our picks in that round, but if that game is any indication, he could be out of our reach.

Prokop and Nickl were invisible, but they made a few nice plays with the puck. Prokop still has terrible WHL numbers which may hurt him, but those two looked like 3rd or 4th rounders.

The remaining guys: Sedoff, Puutio, Sebrango, and Thompson. All of them made some seriously costly errors at some point during the game. A few resulted in goals. I can't blame them for everything, because the forwards sucked at defending too and the goalies (especially Gould in Sebrango and Puutio's case) were trash at times, but they all may have been scratched off of some boards after this game.

Forwards
I'm not really going to point out everyone. There were some guys who were invisible, like Quinton Byfield, and some guys who really shined, like Lafreniere. I don't think too many forwards really helped their stock. They either played to about the standards of their expected draft position, or disappointed.

The biggest disappointment for me (outside of Byfield for being totally invisible) was easily Antonio Stranges. Made two cocky puck handling moves that resulted in him coughing up the puck and leading to two goals against. That alone may have kicked him down boards, because that is supposed to be what he is good at. Cuylle was another one. Missed easy defensive coverages and never really did anything except fight Sebrango. I never had this guy pegged as a 1st rounder, but he has all of the markings of those power forwards who can leverage their bodies in the juniors to be successful, but can't even hack it in the AHL once everyone is about as big as them. His skill looks like mid-round at best, and he has a lot of work to do in a lot of key areas.

Foudy, Bourque, Sourdif, Neighbours, Wiesblatt, Ponomaryev, and Pytlik did not have the types of games I expected out of players expected to go in their respective ranges. They were not awful, but for guys who are expected to receive 1st round consideration, they certainly did not play like it.

Tyson Foerster, the forward I would say helped his stock the most, l0oked better. However he was also playing with Connor Zary (who looked like he should have been a top 15 pick) and Lafreniere so he didn't do it all himself. Evangelista, Coe, Jarvis (at times) and Greig also impressed me to some degree.

horner

May 22, 2007

Highlights

Goalies
Disclaimer: I am not a goalie expert, but I can typically tell obvious flaws/strengths.

Daws did not play today for some reason. Gould got the entire game for Team Red. TBH, I think it's the type of performance that would strike him from a lot of Draft Boards... including mine. Besides giving up 5 (technically 6 since one was called back on an offside) goals, he just never looked competent in net at all. Awful positioning, gave up easy goals on both the blocker and glove side, choppy mobility... Besides the big body, which is negated with a really deep crouch anyways, I am not sure there is anything to really like.

Hlavaj was better than Gould, but I was hoping for something a little bit better from him. It was more or less what I saw at the WJC, which is probably not good enough for a D+1. He had more or less the same kinds of issues as Gould: choppy mobility, a slightly awkward crouching stance, a little bit of trouble tracking the puck... But there is some upside with his athleticism.

Garand was by far the best. Easily the best positioning, very athletic, strong at tracking the puck and recovering, mobile, etc.. The issue with him is always going to be that he is small (6'0"), and while he does stay upright with a more upper body crouch, he looks really small in net. That being said, I think someone takes a chance on him just like Calgary did with Dustin Wolf. He may even go a little bit higher than Wolf did, but he is still going to be taken in the later rounds more likely than not.

Defense
I don't know if it is because these guys can't defend, there is just so many offensively talented guys, or it is hard to put a cohesive defensive system together for one game when most of these guys have never played together, but man was defense really choppy from both teams. A ton of guys blowing assignments and leaving guys wide-open while they are either standing still in no-man's land or chasing the puck with 2 of their team mates. It was bad from both sides, and it was an issue that plagued most guys, so it's really hard to tell who was good and who was bad. Forwards were even worse at defending.

I think the best and simplest way of summarizing it is more or less the guys live up to where they are generally slotted on most Mock Drafts.

Drysdale was easily one of the most impressive guys back there. Even when he got beat, he was able to recover so well and shut down even the top guys like Perfetti. Definitely living up to his billing as the top defender in the class.

Schneider, Guhle and O'Rourke looked solid. Not amazing, but solid. Any of them should make their teams happy in the 20's or 30's, and one or more of them could even slip into the teens due to the weaker defensive crop. I liked Poirier's offensive upside, but his defense will need some work. The one guy who really impressed me was Lukas Cormier. Poirier probably still has the most offensive upside outside of Drysdale, but Cormier can make a serious claim for that spot. Moves the puck extremely well, he's packed his 5'10" frame, plays physical, and is solid defensively. He was projected to go late 2nd or early 3rd, and I would definitely take him with either of our picks in that round, but if that game is any indication, he could be out of our reach.

Prokop and Nickl were invisible, but they made a few nice plays with the puck. Prokop still has terrible WHL numbers which may hurt him, but those two looked like 3rd or 4th rounders.

The remaining guys: Sedoff, Puutio, Sebrango, and Thompson. All of them made some seriously costly errors at some point during the game. A few resulted in goals. I can't blame them for everything, because the forwards sucked at defending too and the goalies (especially Gould in Sebrango and Puutio's case) were trash at times, but they all may have been scratched off of some boards after this game.

Forwards
I'm not really going to point out everyone. There were some guys who were invisible, like Quinton Byfield, and some guys who really shined, like Lafreniere. I don't think too many forwards really helped their stock. They either played to about the standards of their expected draft position, or disappointed.

The biggest disappointment for me (outside of Byfield for being totally invisible) was easily Antonio Stranges. Made two cocky puck handling moves that resulted in him coughing up the puck and leading to two goals against. That alone may have kicked him down boards, because that is supposed to be what he is good at. Cuylle was another one. Missed easy defensive coverages and never really did anything except fight Sebrango. I never had this guy pegged as a 1st rounder, but he has all of the markings of those power forwards who can leverage their bodies in the juniors to be successful, but can't even hack it in the AHL once everyone is about as big as them. His skill looks like mid-round at best, and he has a lot of work to do in a lot of key areas.

Foudy, Bourque, Sourdif, Neighbours, Wiesblatt, Ponomaryev, and Pytlik did not have the types of games I expected out of players expected to go in their respective ranges. They were not awful, but for guys who are expected to receive 1st round consideration, they certainly did not play like it.

Tyson Foerster, the forward I would say helped his stock the most, l0oked better. However he was also playing with Connor Zary (who looked like he should have been a top 15 pick) and Lafreniere so he didn't do it all himself. Evangelista, Coe, Jarvis (at times) and Greig also impressed me to some degree.
Thanks for the report

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Thanks for the report

Five players who raised their NHL Draft stock at Top Prospects Game - Sportsnet.ca

Jack Quinn, Jeremie Poirier, Connor Zary, Kasper Puutio, and Tyson Foerster. Based on where I had them already, Quinn, Poirier and Zary didn't really "raise their stock" for me. Foerster definitely did though. I still don't think Puutio had that great of a game. Maybe he made some stops that I did not catch, but I saw him mess up a few times and he was generally mediocre at the other times. Unless his stock was in the toilet by Sportsnet, he really played like a guy who could be worth a shot in the 4th or 5th round at best from what I saw... Which is about where I had him to begin with.

Lukas Cormier was much more deserving.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

Highlights

Goalies

Defense

Forwards

I have watched one Sudbury game on Tv, a couple of the team Canada games and a bit of the prospects game so far and I have yet to come away impressed with Byfield. He doesn't stand out as a 2nd overall pick at all.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If leafs win the third ovr selection, who would they take?

I'm a big fan of Drysdale personally. I'd take him at #3. This might feel like a positional need pick but it isn't. We could have the best defensive group in the league and he'd still be my favourite.

Perfetti, Stutzle and Raymond seem like the 3 that are favourites for the #3 spot though from what I've read. All are pretty damn good prospects as well. Marco Rossi is up there as well and would not be surprised if he's #3 on some draft lists.

Last edited:
Reactions: FireBabcock

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
From Bob McKenzie based on what scouts have been saying about the 2020 Draft (paraphrased):

"Everyone is saying this is a really deep draft, but from what I have been hearing from scouts is that besides the Top 10, this draft is nothing special."

I'd like to see who is in his top 10, because besides the guys in my top 8 (Lafreniere, Byfield, Drysdale, Stutzle, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Askarov) and Perfetti, who has had a good enough month to challenge Holtz or Askarov for a spot in the top 8, I am not sure anyone else is on their level. Probably Zary, Quinn, or Mercer round off the top 10, but they aren't special.

Reactions: nuck

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
If Noel Hoefenmayer entering the draft again this year or is he a FA? Could be the first defensemen to approach 100 points since Ryan Ellis.

Would love to get him on a deal like Brazeau. Max AHL deal where he would make the same amount as he would on an ELC anyways in the AHL/ECHL ($60,000).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If Noel Hoefenmayer entering the draft again this year or is he a FA? Could be the first defensemen to approach 100 points since Ryan Ellis.

Would love to get him on a deal like Brazeau. Max AHL deal where he would make the same amount as he would on an ELC anyways in the AHL/ECHL ($60,000).

He's a FA who apparently went undrafted/unsigned because his skating and defensive ability is bad.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
He's a FA who apparently went undrafted/unsigned because his skating and defensive ability is bad.
Yea its not great but he would still be worth a flyer I think. Could be T.J. Brennan, or could be something half decent. As long as it doesn't cost an ELC I'd try to get him here.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Still hoping that we can move Barrie to get a 1st in this draft.

Will be really bummed to go 2 consecutive drafts without one, even though it looks like we got a draft steal in Sandin last year.....

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Will be really bummed to go 2 consecutive drafts without one, even though it looks like we got a draft steal in Sandin last year.....

It's a mediocre draft. Anything outside of a top 15 pick is not going to be spectacular.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Why would we move a defensemen who has 20 points his last 27 games?

We aren't rebuilding. Unless the end game is using that piece for a better RHD why would we make our team worse?

Reactions: stickty111

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's a mediocre draft. Anything outside of a top 15 pick is not going to be spectacular.
I'm not a huge fan of this draft, but outside rare exceptions such as 2015 and 2003, the odds of hitting on players don't seem to change much outside the top 10 or so picks. I'm not saying to trade Barrie for picks, but I don't think the odds of hitting on a player in the 15-31 range really changes significantly from year to year. The major difference in draft quality tends to be with the premium high picks. I mean, compare the 2012 draft to the 2013 draft, one was known to be weak at the time, and the other was supposed to be very deep. Once you remove the top 10 picks, you can make an argument 2012 is better than 2013. Now, the top 10 of 2013 was so strong, that most teams left with something great if they were drafting there (MacKinnon, Barkov, and Jones are foundational pieces, Monahan is a 1st line center, everyone outside of Nicushkin is a top 6 forward or top 4 D).

I'm pretty much of the belief that post 10 to 15 overall (hard to pick a specific cut-off point), that all draft picks are essentially equal in value from year to year unless you hoping on something being a significant outlier of a class. Just because once you get into that range, most players are at best a 60/40 proposition, and by the beginning of the second its basically 25/75 against you at best.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I see Bob's list has Daws at #60

How would people feel about us taking him with our 2nd or 3rd this year? I've got some doubts but I'd like to see some options of people who may have seen him in the OHL

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I see Bob's list has Daws at #60

How would people feel about us taking him with our 2nd or 3rd this year? I've got some doubts but I'd like to see some options of people who may have seen him in the OHL

Is he considerably better than Scott/Woll? I'd rather spend trade the 2nd + for a young goalie like Georgiev etc that can play in the NHL. Having 3 goalie prospects all ready for AHL action seems like a lot.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Comments starting to bubble up about this draft actually being somewhat weak, or at least average, instead of "strongest draft everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" is certainly making me feel better about not having a pick.

Reactions: Saint Blue

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Comments starting to bubble up about this draft actually being somewhat weak, or at least average, instead of "strongest draft everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" is certainly making me feel better about not having a pick.

And if Muzzin stays not having a pick last year is meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad