Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Nah. The Caps won because their best players were their best players. Same goes for the Blues. Same goes for the Pens 2x in a row. That's the winning formula, your best players play like your best players with help from the depth.

Blues probably even wouldn't have gotten through the 3rd round if SJ wasn't the most injured (not from forechecking lmao), but even then I hardly see their best players: Tarasenko, O'Reilly, Schwartz, Pietrangelo, and Parayko as balls to the wall forecheckers.

You can make up all the bullshit you want, but the last 2 years the heaviest teams won

Playoffs are called different than the regular season. Tampa found that out real quick

Reactions: baton elevated

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You can make up all the bull**** you want, but the last 2 years the heaviest teams won

Playoffs are called different than the regular season. Tampa found that out real quick

Meh. Tampa was clearly on auto-pilot the last two months of the season and forgot the playoffs were more intense. Doesn't help their superstar got suspended and their 2nd best (maybe most important) player got injured in game 2 and didn't play again.

The dumbest thing we can do is attempt to copy what worked for another team. Recipe for disaster. Gotta find what works for us.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Meh. Tampa was clearly on auto-pilot the last two months of the season and forgot the playoffs were more intense. Doesn't help their superstar got suspended and their 2nd best (maybe most important) player got injured in game 2 and didn't play again.

The dumbest thing we can do is attempt to copy what worked for another team. Recipe for disaster. Gotta find what works for us.

In history how many 5'9 players made the NHL, let alone won the cup?

That's something that works for no one

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
In history how many 5'9 players made the NHL, let alone won the cup?

That's something that works for no one

If you are talking Kucherov he's listed at 5'11".

Your proposed task would be difficult as most NHL heights are exaggerated (speaking from personal experience of having met many).

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Impact players? yep, pretty much that's all I can think of and it's over 15 years I think.

This year's playoff scoring leader (and former Cup champ) is 5'9".

Guy tied for third in scoring (current Cup champ) is 5'10".

Guy in 7th (former Cup champ) is 5'9".

Conclusion: you really don't have to go that far back.

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Is he? Well there goes that then, guess it's just MSL.

Marchand?

Either way, does it matter? If you did this same exercise in the 80s and replaced "5'9" with "Russian", your conclusion would be that it's pointless trying to get Russian players. I would hope our management is more concerned with what kind of players are going to win the 2020 cup, not which ones won in 2007.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Marchand?

Either way, does it matter? If you did this same exercise in the 80s and replaced "5'9" with "Russian", your conclusion would be that it's pointless trying to get Russian players. I would hope our management is more concerned with what kind of players are going to win the 2020 cup, not which ones won in 2007.

If everything that happened in the past is irrelevant, then how are you going to project the future?

That's not how science is conducted. Get with the times man.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If everything that happened in the past is irrelevant, then how are you going to project the future?

That's not how science is conducted. Get with the times man.

Small players barely got drafted in the mid 2000s, obviously there's not going to be many that win cups if there aren't many in the league to start with.

Are you really going to lecture me about science while pretending correlation = causation?

Give me a specific reason why a cup winner can't have small players. What is the way in which the small player prevents an otherwise cup-capable roster from winning a cup?

Obviously if all things are equal, bigger players are more useful. Good luck getting a 6'4 guy with Ennis's skillset to play on your 4th line for a mil though.

Reactions: Raymoondo

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Small players barely got drafted in the mid 2000s, obviously there's not going to be many that win cups if there aren't many in the league to start with.

Are you really going to lecture me about science while pretending correlation = causation?

Give me a specific reason why a cup winner can't have small players. What is the way in which the small player prevents an otherwise cup-capable roster from winning a cup?

Obviously if all things are equal, bigger players are more useful. Good luck getting a 6'4 guy with Ennis's skillset to play on your 4th line for a mil though.

Are you kidding me? Correlation and causation?

You cant think of why a players size matters in one of the most physical league of sports in the world.

If you didnt know, a hit from a 220 lb player is going to severely impact your body. Especially if you are smaller. That over an 82 game season and playoffs is often too much for most small players to handle.

There is a reason small players are not common in the league. They need to be far better than a larger player to compensate for their shortcomings.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Are you kidding me? Correlation and causation?

You cant think of why a players size matters in one of the most physical league of sports in the world.

If you didnt know, a hit from a 220 lb player is going to severely impact your body. Especially if you are smaller. That over an 82 game season and playoffs is often too much for most small players to handle.

There is a reason small players are not common in the league. They need to be far better than a larger player to compensate for their shortcomings.

Tyler Ennis seemed to be fine towards the end of the year when he scored his hat trick in March.

A 4th line that's built to score against slower 3rd/4th lines can work. Let your big names go against the other team big names and expect your bottom 6 to out-score theirs. A big 4th line that can go against a top line and let your top guys face 2nd pairing competition can work too, but you're more controlled by the other coach's deployment.

Small players didn't make sense in a clutch and grab league. We are no longer in a clutch and grab league. It's a viable strategy to keep your bottom 6 filled with cheap productive players and let your top-6 do the heavy lifting.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Tyler Ennis seemed to be fine towards the end of the year when he scored his hat trick in March.

A 4th line that's built to score against slower 3rd/4th lines can work. Let your big names go against the other team big names and expect your bottom 6 to out-score theirs. A big 4th line that can go against a top line and let your top guys face 2nd pairing competition can work too, but you're more controlled by the other coach's deployment.

Small players didn't make sense in a clutch and grab league. We are no longer in a clutch and grab league. It's a viable strategy to keep your bottom 6 filled with cheap productive players and let your top-6 do the heavy lifting.

I'm guessing you dont watch the playoffs. Its basically the clutch and grab era

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
So people have a problem with a guy being 5'9 but have no problem with guys that are 5'11?

Lol, do people really think 2 inches (!!!) makes a difference?

Height means nothing. You need to have some weight on you. Only time height matters is when it comes to goaltenders and dmen because the extra reach is nice have.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
If you use anomalies and outliers as your reference, you aren't conducting any scientific method, just biased opinion.

The overwhelming majority of players are much larger

Again, if you were referencing Kucherov, he's listed at 5'11". Also again, I'd put money that most NHL heights are off by as much as two inches. That's based on standing beside many of them and knowing my own height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad