Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Leafs aren't going to be in a position to pick these kids. But, looking at Hlinka this is going to be one of the better years for GTA talent since 2015 which was unreal. Byfield, Perfetti, and Drysdale all have top 10 potential. Byfield and Perfetti might be in the top 5 entering the year.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Leafs aren't going to be in a position to pick these kids. But, looking at Hlinka this is going to be one of the better years for GTA talent since 2015 which was unreal. Byfield, Perfetti, and Drysdale all have top 10 potential. Byfield and Perfetti might be in the top 5 entering the year.

Perfetti my fav of the bunch

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Be positive, sure we could :sarcasm:, a couple of injuries to the right guys and most teams struggle like crazy

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Be positive, sure we could :sarcasm:, a couple of injuries to the right guys and most teams struggle like crazy
I think I'm more inclined to hope for us giving Carolina the 31st pick. Not sure I could deal with how toxic this place would be if we finished bottom 10.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think I'm more inclined to hope for us giving Carolina the 31st pick. Not sure I could deal with how toxic this place would be if we finished bottom 10.

So do I but injuries happen and if you get one to the right guy (Andersen) things can really spiral, I remember Tampa missing a few years back as an example

Things would be grim but the pick having lottery protection would make me feel a little less unhappy, we'd get a decent prospect out of it that's for damn sure

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Id rather give them pick 15 than us pick 10. This place is getting unbearable and that will be the tipping point.

I say 15 as it means we at least made the playoffs

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
So do I but injuries happen and if you get one to the right guy (Andersen) things can really spiral, I remember Tampa missing a few years back as an example

Things would be grim but the pick having lottery protection would make me feel a little less unhappy, we'd get a decent prospect out of it that's for damn sure

If the Leafs finish bottom 10 pre lottery, it means two of Matthews/Tavares/Andersen were hurt for 1/2 the season at least.

horner

May 22, 2007
Seems like a Dubas pick

Alexander Pashin RW 5'8" 154
July 28 2002
Draftsie has him 92
Future Considerations 89

MHL 17 GP 6 g 4 a 10 pts
Hlinka 4 GP 5 g 1 a 6 pts

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto

And that's not even including other likely mid to late 1st rounders, Tullio and Moore.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
wonder how far the Russian goalie will drop I know some people already have him as a top 10 pick. wonder how far he will fall with the Russian factor and being a goalie.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
wonder how far the Russian goalie will drop I know some people already have him as a top 10 pick. wonder how far he will fall with the Russian factor and being a goalie.

Pretty sure the Russian factor no longer exists.

The guy could easily be the best goalie prospect since Price, and has franchise potential. So he could very well be a top 10 pick despite it being a very deep draft.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

The real question is who pulls the trigger on him.Every team from 6-13 minus TB could use a franchise goalie.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Pretty sure the Russian factor no longer exists.

The guy could easily be the best goalie prospect since Price, and has franchise potential. So he could very well be a top 10 pick despite it being a very deep draft.

when it comes to top 10 picks I think the Russian factor is still a major factor. especially with a deep draft where you might be able to get whomever you draft in your line up the next year or following. if he has his mind made up that he wants to stay in Russia for a couple years that may deter teams to wait.
but like you said he might be the next price and teams will gamble for that

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
true enough I bet we have a few teams licking there chops with hope

I'm sure Carolina is one of them at 16 hoping they get scared to draft a goalie that high. They've built a strong prospects pool over the years and Askarov could put their already very good pool to the top of the league.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
when it comes to top 10 picks I think the Russian factor is still a major factor. especially with a deep draft where you might be able to get whomever you draft in your line up the next year or following. if he has his mind made up that he wants to stay in Russia for a couple years that may deter teams to wait.
but like you said he might be the next price and teams will gamble for that

When it comes to goalies, that is likely going to be the case regardless. Even Carey Price, who is the last top 10 goalie drafted that I can remember, went back to Tri-City for 2 years before making the Habs. Askarov probably follows the same path. KHL for a couple of years and then immediately jumps to a starting job in the NHL. I wouldn't worry about his nationality as long as the job is there for him.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
When it comes to goalies, that is likely going to be the case regardless. Even Carey Price, who is the last top 10 goalie drafted that I can remember, went back to Tri-City for 2 years before making the Habs. Askarov probably follows the same path. KHL for a couple of years and then immediately jumps to a starting job in the NHL. I wouldn't worry about his nationality as long as the job is there for him.
Agreed.

I would never use a high pick on a goalie though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
About 40% of the guys drafted between 6-10 aren't in the NHL full-time until in their draft +2. And, a decent amount are examples of guys who were rushed due to draft pedigree and not merit (Zacha, Rasmussen, Mittelstadt, Virtanen). I doubt I would draft a goalie top 10, but the couple of years thing isn't the major issue. It's just people overvalue the return of first-round picks that aren't top 5 around here.

Just looking at recent drafts here is who played their D+2 in the show

Pettersson
Mittelstadt
Rasmussen

Tkachuk
Keller
Sergachev

Zacha
Provorov
Werenski
Rantanen

Virtanen
Ehlers

Monahan
Risto
Horvat
Nichushkin

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Yup. Cuyles got a real good chance to as well.

I'm surprised nobody is mentioning Ryan O'Rourke. He didn't get any of the nice playing time Drysdale got, but now with Hollowell gone, he will.

Wouldn't be shocked if he ends up being the 3rd OHLer off of the board and a top 10 pick by the end of the year. He was that good for SSM last year.

Reactions: PacoSanchez15

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
This draft is crazy deep. Like 20-25 guys with top 10 potential. I realize that most of them are late but having at least 10 picks in this years draft is huge. Gives us a lot of options to trade up and get a guy we want or take a few guys who slip late.

Reactions: hockeynorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->