NHL.com’s current top 16 ranking (post FA frenzy)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think it’s pretty reasonable although all are very close. The Canucks were by far the best of the four in the playoffs and none of the four of them improved significantly this off season.
I think the Oilers goaltending will be a big weakness this year. They certainly tried hard to upgrade it this off season after going with Smith as the starter in the play ins. It’s clear that neither the coach or the GM has much confidence in Koskinen.

Last year season save percentage:

Koskinen - .917 save percentage
Smith - .902 save percentage

Demko - .905 save percentage
Holtby - .897 save percentage

Yet the Canucks are the ones with powerhouse goaltending? They were trending to miss the playoffs with Markstrom hurt, a COVID miracle paused the season for them letting them into the bubble.

I think Vancouver has serious question marks in net, Demko was hot for a handful of games in the bubble but had very poor actual season numbers and Holtby hasn't been great for a while now.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Yet the Canucks are the ones with powerhouse goaltending? They were trending to miss the playoffs with Markstrom hurt, a COVID miracle paused the season for them letting them into the bubble.

I think Vancouver has serious question marks in net, Demko was hot for a handful of games in the bubble but had very poor actual season numbers and Holtby hasn't been great for a while now.
I never claimed they had power house goaltending. Demko looks like the future though and management obviously has confidence in him. He played well when it counted most.
It’s no secret that Edmonton was desperate to upgrade their goaltending this off season after starting Smith because they lacked confidence in Koskinen. The GM and coach obviously don’t see their goaltender as a strength.
I think it’s fair to say both teams have questions in net.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Demko also was thrown into the regular season basically knowing that he WAS the goalie, he had time to mentally prepare for the playoffs... very different mental scenarios

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Demko actually started the season strong. Suffer a concussion in practice and after he got back he never got his game back.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Amazing ranking if i'm being honest. I think it's only fair to give preferential treatment to some teams who did really well in playoffs (ie Dallas, Vancouver, Islanders) while also still respecting recent winners despite a misstep in the last playoffs (Pens, Caps, Blues).

I don't think I'd agree with this list if I had to predict who ends up the top 16 - but in terms of being favorites I think it's very well done.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Demko also was thrown into the regular season basically knowing that he WAS the goalie, he had time to mentally prepare for the playoffs... very different mental scenarios

The Canucks were in a tailspin prior to the break, something like 6-9-2 before COVID stopped the season, they had a pretty good chance of missing the playoffs I think with Markstrom injured.

This is the NHL, you don't get the luxury of "mental reset" time on demand. Demko had an awful regular season save percentage and the team was drowning with Markstrom hurt. Holtby was just flat out terrible last season.

I'm just saying Vancouver has serious question marks in net, their goaltending duo's numbers are flat out awful in the actual season last year before COVID stopped it. .905 for your starter and .897 is terrible.

The Oilers probably will need to upgrade in net in-season at some point, probably circle back to Darcy Kuemper or Raanta from Arizona, but Vancouver has big question marks in net too.

Last edited:

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
You forget that Holtby is still an elite goalie who’s now working with one of the best goalie coaches. Sure he’s had a couple bad years but nothing says he won’t do just fine in a 1A/1B roll
It’s all an illusion until we see the results. Holtby has been trash the past couple of seasons and imo he will stay trash. Horrible contract.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Oilers in top 16? Every year we do this, every year... They did not address any of their issues and are in fact worse defensively.

We finished 9th in points last year, I don't see why being ranked in the top-16 is a stretch.

And Holland addressed a few of our needs this offseason. We got out puck-moving RD in Barrie, and our 3C in Turris.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
I never claimed they had power house goaltending. Demko looks like the future though and management obviously has confidence in him. He played well when it counted most.
It’s no secret that Edmonton was desperate to upgrade their goaltending this off season after starting Smith because they lacked confidence in Koskinen. The GM and coach obviously don’t see their goaltender as a strength.
I think it’s fair to say both teams have questions in net.

Edmonton went after Markstrom but besides that target, Oilers focus was upgrading their backup goalie. Koskinen has a great year and was one of the better goalies in the league. the statement that the GM and Coach dont see their goal-tending as a strength is a bit of a reach. I'd rather have Koskinen than holtby or demko. Smith is brutal though

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Edmonton went after Markstrom but besides that target, Oilers focus was upgrading their backup goalie. Koskinen has a great year and was one of the better goalies in the league. the statement that the GM and Coach dont see their goal-tending as a strength is a bit of a reach. I'd rather have Koskinen than holtby or demko. Smith is brutal though
Not really. The coach started Smith in the play in against the Hawks. It’s clear he had zero confidence in Koskinen. And the Oilers were rumoured to be in on a number of goalies this off season including Markstrom on a massive deal. I think it’s fair today that the GM doesn’t see Koskinen as anywhere close to Markstrom give the contract that he reportedly offered him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We finished 9th in points last year, I don't see why being ranked in the top-16 is a stretch.

And Holland addressed a few of our needs this offseason. We got out puck-moving RD in Barrie, and our 3C in Turris.

Pens haven't finished outside of the top 10 in forever, yet that doesn't stop HF from thinking being ranked 10th is somehow way too high for them.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Pens haven't finished outside of the top 10 in forever, yet that doesn't stop HF from thinking being ranked 10th is somehow way too high for them.

Yeah, the recency bias on here is pretty funny.

And the Pens added Kapanen in the offseason, and a full season of Zucker and a healthy Crosby + Malkin will help as well.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Not really. The coach started Smith in the play in against the Hawks. It’s clear he had zero confidence in Koskinen. And the Oilers were rumoured to be in on a number of goalies this off season including Markstrom on a massive deal. I think it’s fair today that the GM doesn’t see Koskinen as anywhere close to Markstrom give the contract that he reportedly offered him.

is that why Koskinen played 3 of the 4 games in the play in? Saying Tippett has zero confidence in koskinen is a massive assumption and reach. coaches are famous for starting with the vet over the better player in playoffs. its the same reason they started Russell over Jones. does that mean Tippet has zero confidence in Jones?

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
is that why Koskinen played 3 of the 4 games in the play in? Saying Tippett has zero confidence in koskinen is a massive assumption and reach. coaches are famous for starting with the vet over the better player in playoffs. its the same reason they started Russell over Jones. does that mean Tippet has zero confidence in Jones?
Yes, Koakinen played after Smith crapped the bed. The bottom line is you don’t start your backup in the most important game of the year if you have confidence in your starter. Obviously the coach has no confidence in Koskinen.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Yes, Koakinen played after Smith crapped the bed. The bottom line is you don’t start your backup in the most important game of the year if you have confidence in your starter. Obviously the coach has no confidence in Koskinen.

last year smith and koskinen split the starts. they were considered a 1a and 1b. And i'd argue and elimination game is more important than a game 1..... I'm really surprised you keep hammering this over-reactive assumption as you usually have measured comments on this forum. Its possible Tippet thought Smith could play like he did in the prior years playoffs AND still have faith in koskinen. you have zero insight into how the oilers are thinking and if you look at the number koskinen had a great year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

It's not really that ... Koskinen had 0 playoff experience, Smith had a ton of it and was good in the previous season's playoffs being probably Calgary's best player in that Avs series. Tippett has a history with Smith so he went with the guy with more experience.

It was a bad call in the end, but it's not like there was no thought put into it.

Koskinen isn't a superstar, but he is underrated on this board. His numbers were very solid last year, playoffs dipped, but things can skew in a tiny sample size, the Oilers by bad luck had 4 goals go off their own player into their own net in 4 games, that's unusually bad luck, it's hard to blame the goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I know they won a cup and they were an awesome team while doing it, but the Capitals are now back to being over-rated.

How are they overrated?

People seem to forget they finished 41-20-8 THIS SEASON, and that was with Rierden as their coach.

How they did against the Islanders after 4 months off is irrelevant when being compared to their previous 69 regular season games.

They finished 3rd in the NHL with someone I would not consider a good coach. They just hired Laviolette, a huge upgrade in the coaching department, and are playing with primarily the same roster.

If you're saying they're overrated, they are beginning to become underrated if anything. They should still be a top-5 team in the league next season.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
They're very young, they were the best team in the Western Conference in the regular season, and it took major injuries for them to lose in OT of game 7 against the Conference Champions.

Do you think the Leafs should be ahead of them or something?

Pretty much this.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Canucks are too high

That was my first thought on the surface but key pieces are still climbing the ladder for them and getting Schmidt really helps stabilize their defense.

I think the Oilers will be better and Calgary looks better than them on paper but they seem to find a way to under achieve.

One team missing form the list for me is the Jets.

I think they made some really good moves in the offseason.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If we are basing this strictly on off season moves Toronto should be ahead of both Vancouver and Pittsburgh, so should Calgary

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
I think this a pretty good list. I see a lot of people saying the Canucks are too high due to the guys they lost, which I really don't.

-D is improved with Schmidt/Joulevi vs Tanev/Stecher. They needed to get far more mobile and did that. Tanev is a very good D, but Schmidt is a different caliber player. Stecher was a small local bottom 6 fan favorite, but people forget how bad he was for long stretches, especially last year. Whether it be Joulevi/Rafferty/Rathbone/Tryamkin we will be able to adequately replace him.

-Toffoli and Boeser played 2 games total together prior to game 2 of the Vegas series. We never really had both, just one or the other. I feel our forwards come back a better than last season based on our young guys having another offseason to train and develop. \

-Goaltending will be tougher to replicate. We went with our young guy who we've developed for the past six years who has excelled at every level over our 30 year old MVP who locked into a 6 year deal that is not moveable and buyout proof. I feel that was the right move for the long term, but will hurt to a degree in the short term. That degree of hurt depends on whether you feel you get Playoff Demko or last regular season Demko.

While the Canucks aren't dramatically improved this year, I have a hard time thinking they take a step back. They are set up to lose all of their dead weight contracts over the next two seasons, add in a few more of our prospects, and build around the young core. That is a really good spot to be in, regardless of how next season shakes out.

Do you play the trumpet?

Having read a number of your posts in the last few days, you’re a terrible homer.

And Juolevi is f***ing garbage.

Canucks got worse.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
How are they overrated?

People seem to forget they finished 41-20-8 THIS SEASON, and that was with Rierden as their coach.

How they did against the Islanders after 4 months off is irrelevant when being compared to their previous 69 regular season games.

They finished 3rd in the NHL with someone I would not consider a good coach. They just hired Laviolette, a huge upgrade in the coaching department, and are playing with primarily the same roster.

If you're saying they're overrated, they are beginning to become underrated if anything. They should still be a top-5 team in the league next season.

They were 5th in points last season, and the rank has them at 6th. They aren't underrated, but posts like this are why people think they're overrated. The irony.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Anyone think Leafs are in the top 10 now?

Top 10 is a really tough sell after a disappointing season and play in round. Sour feelings on the team from a lot of people.

I think the team did a nice job addressing some areas of concern on defence, physicality, and veteran leadership, but it isn’t enough to warrant a top 10 position until they go out and do something.

I don’t think there will be 7 Eastern Conference teams better than Toronto this season, but nothing this team does really surprises me.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Do you play the trumpet?

Having read a number of your posts in the last few days, you’re a terrible homer.

And Juolevi is f***ing garbage.

Canucks got worse.

Nah, I'm pretty objective to be honest. You may disagree with some of my posts, and that's fine, but you do not know how things will play out any better than I do. I am a big fan of the Canucks, and I'm a big fan of what Benning has done this offseason to set us up for the next couple seasons. Just because I don't have a firey hate for him like many around here, doesn't make me a homer.

The gap between Schmidt and Tanev is far greater than the gap between Stecher and Joulevi/Chatfield/Rathbone/Rafferty. Our D is far more mobile now than it's been in the past 10 years, which was the biggest need to fix this offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad