NHL.com’s current top 16 ranking (post FA frenzy)

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
How are the Flyers ahead of the Islanders when the Islanders beat them in the playoffs?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Also had 1 more loss in 1 fewer game.

I absolutely think they should be ranked higher into next season but they were not the best team in the West last year.

Colorado had a slightly better winning percentage. St. Louis had a slightly better points percentage. The wins, losses and points are all splitting hairs.

What's not splitting hairs is the goal differential. Colorado gave up the same number of goals but scored 14 more. They were the better team.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Colorado had a slightly better winning percentage. St. Louis had a slightly better points percentage. The wins, losses and points are all splitting hairs.

What's not splitting hairs is the goal differential. Colorado gave up the same number of goals but scored 14 more. They were the better team.

Whoops I mixed up winning and points percentage.

Either way, I’m predicting the Avs to win the Central, but the goaltending does worry me if I’m a fan. That seems to be their only somewhat weakness right now.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
You can make that argument for Saad but Toews is at worst a #4.
Toews played behind two strong dmen and also in the most defensive system in hockey, yet still had a very poor playoffs

I really dont see Toews being anything better than a 4th, otherwise NY doesnt move him and instead signs him for much cheaper than a Leddy/Boychuk

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
They were 3rd in the league and just added a top 6 forward and a top 4 defenseman?
I don't know how many wins adding Saad and Toews does to that roster - I wouldn't be surprised if it's a somewhat lateral move or maybe only help on the fringes.

I think the biggest issue is what they didn't address - goaltending.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The Canucks over the Oilers/Leafs/Flames is a pretty brutal take considering who they lost this offseason. Markstrom carried them.
You forget that Holtby is still an elite goalie who’s now working with one of the best goalie coaches. Sure he’s had a couple bad years but nothing says he won’t do just fine in a 1A/1B roll

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Canucks over the Oilers/Leafs/Flames is a pretty brutal take considering who they lost this offseason. Markstrom carried them.
I think it’s pretty reasonable although all are very close. The Canucks were by far the best of the four in the playoffs and none of the four of them improved significantly this off season.
I think the Oilers goaltending will be a big weakness this year. They certainly tried hard to upgrade it this off season after going with Smith as the starter in the play ins. It’s clear that neither the coach or the GM has much confidence in Koskinen.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Toews played behind two strong dmen and also in the most defensive system in hockey, yet still had a very poor playoffs

I really dont see Toews being anything better than a 4th, otherwise NY doesnt move him and instead signs him for much cheaper than a Leddy/Boychuk
Because they're in cap hell and no one would take Boychuck/Leddy?

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I don't know how many wins adding Saad and Toews does to that roster - I wouldn't be surprised if it's a somewhat lateral move or maybe only help on the fringes.

I think the biggest issue is what they didn't address - goaltending.
:dunno::dunno::dunno:. Their biggest issue is their goalies got injured, those two are more than capable when they're healthy. It's not like Grubauer has a history of injuries, he was fine last season.
upload_2020-10-23_21-4-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-23_21-3-56.png
    upload_2020-10-23_21-3-56.png
    21 KB · Views: 4
  • upload_2020-10-23_21-4-7.png
    upload_2020-10-23_21-4-7.png
  • upload_2020-10-23_21-4-11.png
    upload_2020-10-23_21-4-11.png
  • upload_2020-10-23_21-4-11.png
    upload_2020-10-23_21-4-11.png
Reactions: Kaizer

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The caps weren’t really overrated before - they were dominant and underperformed in the playoffs

In my eyes if they had been able to get past the Pens all those years they would probably have more than 1 cup by now. For whatever reason that team always gave them fits. lol

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

“It couldn’t possibly have been a bad move, because of it was they wouldn’t have done it.”

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
Oilers in top 16? Every year we do this, every year... They did not address any of their issues and are in fact worse defensively.

They were on pace to finish in the top ten last year before the stoppage... Why doesn’t it make sense for them to be in the top 16 next season? If your referring to Klefboms subtraction making them worse defensively, it hasn’t been decided either way if he’s playing next year or not. Unless you have some inside info on the subject?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I don't agree with the Vancouver got worse sentiment. They added Schmidt to their D and he's an upgrade. Plus, they have some young D coming up that will make the D corps deeper.

Demko / Holtby is a good pairing in goal.

They didn't really lose all the much upfront and also have some young players that could help out.

Think they'll be about the same.

Calgary got better simply by adding Markstrom.

A Canadian division will be extremely competitive.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Oilers in top 16? Every year we do this, every year... They did not address any of their issues and are in fact worse defensively.
Oilers haven’t had a D man score 50 points in a season since 2009. No one on their D has even a 40 point season on their career except nurse who had 41 points once. We addressed something we’ve been trying to address for 10 years with Barrie.

Oilers also badly needed a 3C since chiarelli dumped Strome for nothing. Turris gives them a veteran guy who gives them some depth scoring.

Oilers 3 biggest needs to address this offseason were.

#1 A top 4 D....check
#2 Upgrade in net....X
#3 3C....check

I’ll take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad