NHL.com’s current top 16 ranking (post FA frenzy)

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
They were 3rd in the league and just added a top 6 forward and a top 4 defenseman?

Other teams added stuff too.

but although I’m saying this I am not asking the question he is and I already know what is so good about the Avs I just think Vegas should be a spot ahead.

and Toews already a top four dman? Arguable . Saad is also not making some teams top sixes. Hed barely make buffalos top six. Olofsson might be the real deal he had injuries and if he is saad would be on our third line and point is buffalo isn’t in the top sixteen (rightfully so) and you guys are ranked second overall which you believe is righthfully so. So to call him a top six forward might be a stretch...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, IMO it's hard to put the Capitals and Penguins in the top 10 now.

Top 3 is consensus.

Pens have finished:
2019-20 - tied for 7th
2018-19 - tied for 7th
2017-18 - tied for 10th

They've shown every year the past 3 seasons that they're in the top 10, at least during the regular season. And IMO, they've improved their roster this off-season, even if it cost them a lot.

So I don't think them being rated at #10 is all that hard to project.

Reactions: wetcoast and HabsQC

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Other teams added stuff too.

but although I’m saying this I am not asking the question he is and I already know what is so good about the Avs I just think Vegas should be a spot ahead.

and Toews already a top four dman? Arguable . Saad is also not making some teams top sixes. Hed barely make buffalos top six. Olofsson might be the real deal he had injuries and if he is saad would be on our third line and point is buffalo isn’t in the top sixteen (rightfully so) and you guys are ranked second overall which you believe is righthfully so. So to call him a top six forward might be a stretch...
Again, how is a 20g (actually paced for 29-30g last season), 50pt forward not a top-6 forward? Explain to me why this player, a 50-55 point player essentially his entire career, is not a top-6 winger. Your argument "Buffalo has 4 better wingers than Brandon Saad" is not an argument that means anything to anyone, I hope you know this.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
you mean at best a #4
Lol, he's actually a top pairing based on analytics but I won't go that far
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F85741ae4-effe-4cf3-b27a-ff212a1431ff_1460x940.png

Reactions: MardyBum

vshun

Sep 21, 2016
I am not Caps fan but with Laviolette as a coach I think they vault to top contender.

Lightning, whom I like, on the other hand probably has fatigue now plus about to lose some key depth pieces.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Lol, he's actually a top pairing based on analytics but I won't go that far
Nah, it says he has elite results both offensively and defensively, BUT his minutes aren't very difficult, nor does he play enough to be considered top pairing. He's a very good 2nd pairing Dman who gets a bit sheltered but it's nothing egregious - it's really just because he's very good offensively and Trotz is smart using his other defenders who aren't as offensively talented but are better at playing D. Pelech and Pulock are legit shutdown Dmen, so they take the tough minutes while Toews gets the offensive minutes with Barzal because he has the puck skill and offensive instincts.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Stars, Capitals and Flyers too high. Hurricanes, Leafs and Jackets too low.

I can live with Leafs rated lower than Canucs, even tho I do think Leefs have the better team.

Jackets I'm sure are rated too low: they have extremely solid D, with best D pair in hockey and two good (1a/1b) goalies. CBJ not only beat tampa last year, but imo they gave them the best run for their money this year.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Caps have won the division, what, 5 years in a row now? Something like that?

I don't see how they could be justified outside the top 10.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Imo, not a bad idea to throw the four best Canadian teams out there, jumble them together so there's minimal pissy rants outside of homers. :laugh:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Overreaction to the playoffs.

How so?
Outside of Dallas, I don't see any other team that got a boost in that ranking based on the bubble playoffs. Rankings seem pretty accurate to me based on the strength of the rosters headed into next season.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
How so?
Outside of Dallas, I don't see any other team that got a boost in that ranking based on the bubble playoffs. Rankings seem pretty accurate to me based on the strength of the rosters headed into next season.
I think Vancouver probably did. Some teams probably got knocked down because of the bubble playoffs too (Edmonton).

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think Vancouver probably did. Some teams probably got knocked down because of the bubble playoffs too (Edmonton).

Vancouver would be a lot higher than 12 if they got the playoff boost and St. Louis lower than 5. Caps and Pens wouldn't be near the top 10 either.
12 and 14 is about right for Vancouver and Edmonton. In fact, you can make an argument for any team in that 8-20 range or so. Is there really a big difference between Philadelphia and the Wild or Canadiens? There's about 5-6 elite teams, about 5-6 really bad teams and about 20 teams that are really tightly packed.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I don't think losing Krug sets the Bruins back nearly that far. I'd have them at third or fourth (and I hate them). I'd probably just swap them with Dallas outright.

Penguins still underrated, but there's a whole lot of question marks around them. Beastmode Malkin? Matheson? Overall health again? I'd bump them up one or two spots.

I'd post some generic screeching about the Leafs, but they massively underperformed last year so who the hell knows.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think Dallas takes a step back from their playoff bubble success. Seems like ranking them in the top 4 was solely based on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->