NHL.com’s current top 16 ranking (post FA frenzy)

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
This year is going to be a crapshoot no matter what with the league playing in some form of a bubble for a 50-60 games season against the same team 3 times in a row in some weird division realignment to set another 24 team playoffs in front of no fans or 20% occupancy.

Are we really gonna be surprised when Buffalo wins it all?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How so?
Outside of Dallas, I don't see any other team that got a boost in that ranking based on the bubble playoffs. Rankings seem pretty accurate to me based on the strength of the rosters headed into next season.

Add the Islanders and Canucks to that list. Two teams that might’ve not even made the playoffs with 82 games.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I think Dallas takes a step back from their playoff bubble success. Seems like ranking them in the top 4 was solely based on that.

besides there 1-7-1 start last season, there record after was next best to Tampa during the regular season

but, with Seguin out most of the season I agree they will be lower then 4th

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Vancouver would be a lot higher than 12 if they got the playoff boost and St. Louis lower than 5. Caps and Pens wouldn't be near the top 10 either.
12 and 14 is about right for Vancouver and Edmonton. In fact, you can make an argument for any team in that 8-20 range or so. Is there really a big difference between Philadelphia and the Wild or Canadiens? There's about 5-6 elite teams, about 5-6 really bad teams and about 20 teams that are really tightly packed.
Honestly if the playoffs weren’t considered at all, I’d expect Vancouver to be below both Toronto and Edmonton, given their respective regular seasons, and the Canucks poor offseason (their roster on paper got worse).

I don’t think there’s a huge difference between many of those teams on the list due to increasing parity but there’s definitely been a bit of shuffling of the order due to the playoff results, which (IMO) is a bit unwarranted given the nature of the tournament this year, but expected nonetheless.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
People here, including the two of you, use far worse and less relevant indicators for future playoff success than the previous seasons playoffs though.
Not really sure what indicators you're talking about, because that's not true at all.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't think losing Krug sets the Bruins back nearly that far. I'd have them at third or fourth (and I hate them). I'd probably just swap them with Dallas outright.

I don't think Chara's returning. Plus Marchand and Pastrnak are out for at least the first couple of months (assuming Jan 1 start date). That may be factored in.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I don't think Chara's returning. Plus Marchand and Pastrnak are out for at least the first couple of months (assuming Jan 1 start date). That may be factored in.
Chara would be a big loss, but they’re still quite deep on that blue line and have lots of prospects. They seem to pull good defensemen out of their behinds the way your Penguins pull out good wingers.

Losing Marchand and Pasta for time doesn’t really factor in to me. They’ll be back for the playoffs, and tbh the Bruins have done consistently well during the season while missing either of those two for the past few years.

The Bruins have been so consistent the last few years I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Similar to how I view the Penguins. Complete opposite to the Leafs who have a much better roster than 13th imo, but need to put together some actual results before they should be considered for a higher ranking.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I think this a pretty good list. I see a lot of people saying the Canucks are too high due to the guys they lost, which I really don't.

-D is improved with Schmidt/Joulevi vs Tanev/Stecher. They needed to get far more mobile and did that. Tanev is a very good D, but Schmidt is a different caliber player. Stecher was a small local bottom 6 fan favorite, but people forget how bad he was for long stretches, especially last year. Whether it be Joulevi/Rafferty/Rathbone/Tryamkin we will be able to adequately replace him.

-Toffoli and Boeser played 2 games total together prior to game 2 of the Vegas series. We never really had both, just one or the other. I feel our forwards come back a better than last season based on our young guys having another offseason to train and develop. \

-Goaltending will be tougher to replicate. We went with our young guy who we've developed for the past six years who has excelled at every level over our 30 year old MVP who locked into a 6 year deal that is not moveable and buyout proof. I feel that was the right move for the long term, but will hurt to a degree in the short term. That degree of hurt depends on whether you feel you get Playoff Demko or last regular season Demko.

While the Canucks aren't dramatically improved this year, I have a hard time thinking they take a step back. They are set up to lose all of their dead weight contracts over the next two seasons, add in a few more of our prospects, and build around the young core. That is a really good spot to be in, regardless of how next season shakes out.

Reactions: Hughes Unleashed

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Flames and Hurricanes should be higher
Edmonton and Pittsburgh down a few spots

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
While these are unusual times, I think the playoffs and play ins should still be taken into account somewhat in making the rankings. It’s a pretty good test of how resilient teams are and how they respond to adversity just like in every playoffs. Edmonton losing to a team like Chicago and Toronto losing to Columbus should definitely be taken into account. Obviously people will disagree on the weight to place on that but I don’t think it should be ignored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad