Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Not excited gor these Free Agents. The ones i want bruins wont get . DS will
Then say "we tried but got outbid"

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Sell me please (I want to buy in) as to why he isn't Beleskey 2.o. Everything I am hearing is exactly what Bruins fans were sold on Beleskey so I am dreading the signing.

I think Ferland is a much smarter, more complete player. He kills penalties and he steals around 40 pucks a year. Beleskey had 9 steals the year before we got him and didn’t kill penalties.

Ferland is also a good net front guy. The kind that plays with his back to the goal taking away the goalies eyes. (The kind they were looking for in the playoffs to play on that first unit.) Beleskey was a volume shooter who couldn’t create his own shot so he relied on getting set up in scoring areas.

Ferland also has a more convincing track record for producing offense. He has two productive seasons with two different teams. Beleskey had one good season and his offensive bump came from playing with Getzlaf. Ferland has shown he can produce with different line mates and in different systems.

All that said, I’ll grant you there’s a degree of risk here. I see similar risk with Anders Lee, i.e. who’s to say Anders Lee isn’t the next David Backes? Lee is going to be 29 in 3 days. So any long term deal (and that’s what it will take to sign him) is going to be for his 30-35 year old years, not his prime.

I think the key to a Ferland deal is the term. If you can get him for 4 years at $4 or $4.5 then you’re paying him when he’s 27, 28, 29 and 30.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I would love to see Adam McQuaid back here on a short-term, low money deal. Unfortunately, his role wouldn't be big enough here anymore --but damn he would have been great to have had back there against those big, cheap St Louis forwards. McQuaid hit like a truck when he was angry.
Agreed, only like Kevan Miller, McQuaid has trouble staying off the DL.

Heck, a healthy Miller would have been a difference maker against St. Louis' big, cheap forwards.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I think Ferland is a much smarter, more complete player. He kills penalties and he steals around 40 pucks a year. Beleskey had 9 steals the year before we got him and didn’t kill penalties.

Ferland is also a good net front guy. The kind that plays with his back to the goal taking away the goalies eyes. (The kind they were looking for in the playoffs to play on that first unit.) Beleskey was a volume shooter who couldn’t create his own shot so he relied on getting set up in scoring areas.

Ferland also has a more convincing track record for producing offense. He has two productive seasons with two different teams. Beleskey had one good season and his offensive bump came from playing with Getzlaf. Ferland has shown he can produce with different line mates and in different systems.

All that said, I’ll grant you there’s a degree of risk here. I see similar risk with Anders Lee, i.e. who’s to say Anders Lee isn’t the next David Backes? Lee is going to be 29 in 3 days. So any long term deal (and that’s what it will take to sign him) is going to be for his 30-35 year old years, not his prime.

I think the key to a Ferland deal is the term. If you can get him for 4 years at $4 or $4.5 then you’re paying him when he’s 27, 28, 29 and 30.

Ferland was propped up last year partially by his time with Aho. Ferland is a 3rd wheel, won't create anything on his own, needs to play with good players if you expect him to produce anything. Same thing in Calgary. High production due to his time riding with Monahan and Gaudreau.

Are we signing Ferland to play him on the top line?

Reactions: maxl7 and TCB

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Ferland was propped up last year partially by his time with Aho. Ferland is a 3rd wheel, won't create anything on his own, needs to play with good players if you expect him to produce anything. Same thing in Calgary. High production due to his time riding with Monahan and Gaudreau.

Why not? I mean, if he can play effectively with your top players than YES!

Teams always try to put big physical players up against your star players in the series and wear them down (Bergeron) and having a guy like Ferland, who is unique factor, is great for counteracting that because he will make sure he is the hammer when he is on the ice and opposing defenseman always have to be very wary of him.

He's not too tall but very, very strong --as 6'5 Watson found out.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Why not? I mean, if he can play effectively with your top players than YES!

Teams always try to put big physical players up against your star players in the series and wear them down (Bergeron) and having a guy like Ferland, who is unique factor, is great for counteracting that because he will make sure he is the hammer when he is on the ice and opposing defenseman always have to be very wary of him.

He's not too tall but very, very strong --as 6'5 Watson found out.

He doesn't make the lines better, just his own numbers by getting carried.

If you can get him for 4 million for 4 years, sure. I think he easily breaks 5 million.

Reactions: maxl7

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
It just seem the bruins haven’t had any cap space since Chara and Savard signed back in the day. I’m not being funny, it just seems it.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Yeah, big pass on Ferland. For the money he'll command and for what he brings, too much. I'd focus on Anders Lee, big Strong net front presence,offensively skilled, but more than likely unless Backes is moved, that isn't happening either.

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
It just seem the bruins haven’t had any cap space since Chara and Savard signed back in the day. I’m not being funny, it just seems it.

Those were two great signings during the the start of the PC reign.

Too me though it doesn't seem that long ago. Ill go back as far as Backes, because it wasn't a good contract and it has hampered the Bruins ever since.

Reactions: BAD BOY

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009

Isn't a "third wheel" pretty much exactly what we need? Be it with Patrice/Marchand or with Krejci/DeBrusk, we need a guy that can keep up and finish chances. We wouldn't be able to afford a special player to put there, so if a guy like Ferland can be had at a reasonable rate (4/20 or lower) he should be a very good fit here. Doubt this is where he lands though.

Reactions: Strafer

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Isn't a "third wheel" pretty much exactly what we need? Be it with Patrice/Marchand or with Krejci/DeBrusk, we need a guy that can keep up and finish chances. We wouldn't be able to afford a special player to put there, so if a guy like Ferland can be had at a reasonable rate (4/20 or lower) he should be a very good fit here. Doubt this is where he lands though.

I'm not paying a guy 5 million who doesn't make a top line better. Ferland is a 3rd liner in my eyes.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
I'm not paying a guy 5 million who doesn't make a top line better. Ferland is a 3rd liner in my eyes.
If you want a guaranteed top-6 guy in FA you’ll have to bring serious dollars, which the Bs obviously can’t do.

I agree that he’s not a slam dunk fit, but he has attributes that we (generally as a fanbase) look for to contribute in the top 9. A rotating cast of him, Pasta, Heinen and possibly Bjork/Studnicka/other prospects in the 4 “undecided” wing positions in the top 9 may be one way to go.

Not saying Ferland or bust, but he’s probably the most enticing RW option out there in FA. To me at least.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Can someone please pm me a link to the free agency coverage from Canada please?

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
My hopes today

Trade Nordstrom for a pick
Re-sign Acciari
Trade Backes and Lauzon to clear him from the books
Sign Anders Lee
Sign a goalie for Providence
Announce extensions for one of McAvoy, Carlo, Krug

I don’t think I’m being too greedy
If they signed Anders Lee I would crap my pants lol

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Why is everyone so eager to dip into free agency? Tell me the last big UFA deal that the signing team didn't regret two years into it. It's a fool's game and the GM of the Year should be looking for trades, not future cap headaches.

Anders Lee included. He's a good player but he's about to enter his decline.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Why is everyone so eager to dip into free agency? Tell me the last big UFA deal that the signing team didn't regret two years into it. It's a fool's game and the GM of the Year should be looking for trades, not future cap headaches.

Anders Lee included. He's a good player but he's about to enter his decline.
I’m sure he is. If the GM of the year makes a deal and trades the next Bobby Orr or the next Cam Neely they will say he gave up a lot . What’s he doing. It’s basically a no win situation. Gloss over it , ignore it if you want but it’s reality.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Same here but if it means wiping Backes’ contract clear then I’m willing to part with him

I'd hope Sweeney can move him without having to give up arguably his top defensive prospect.

I just see top 4 upside this year. Too me he's the top Bruins defensive prospect, many like Vaak but Im on the Lauzon train. He's had a problem staying healthy and I feel that's the only thing that has slowed him down.

If Im Sweeney Id make everyone eligible (prospect) except next years first,Lauzon,Vaak,Steen.Studnicka,Lauko and Beecher. Even if I have to move two prospects or a prospect and a pick.

Obviously Id group them in tiers.

The senators make too much sense. Chabot's familiarity with Zboril and Senyshyn being from Ottawa,as well as Dorion already stating he's willing to add a bad contract and he's looking for a veteran with leadership to help mentor Tkachuk,Chabot and White.

Its almost like he's telling the Bruins that he's willing to take Backes.

Last edited:

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Sign me up for Ferland, we need some snarl in our top 9 and he has the speed and enough scoring ability to be a difference maker, especially come playoff time.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I really don't expect anything big to happen, if lucky Sweeney adds an ok 3rd line to bring depth.

But yet another season with a weakness in the 2nd line isn't/wouldn't be fun.

Anders Lee or bust

There's a chance he's getting crazy money from Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad