GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FRENZY - JULY 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Montreal is building a good team and has a strong prospect pool. Adding Aho would be a major boost—a young, #1 C, at that. Boston has to compete with its division rivals.

I agree, though, that Sweeney's #1 job is to move Backes.

Not arguing that Montreal would improve with Aho but they're still behind Toronto and TB in this division. Boston, on paper at least, is still trying to match the talent level in those two places, or it would seem, build teams that can beat them as they did Toronto again this year.

I can't get worked up over this move by Montreal. Good for them. The league ought to see more offer sheets...keep GM's honest and active. I like it.

Reactions: Estlin

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Other teams see it..Lot of old school G Ms who will now not want to deal with habs in future wait n see.Canes are a serious team right now and will match that do not worry.
Tom Dundon committed 250M to bail out the AAF in February, a week ago he filed suit to try and get 70M back. He may be rich but he ain't that rich to match this. The idiots are losing a non idiot who is looking to go from Raleigh to St. Catherine street.

AAF investor Tom Dundon seeks $70 million back, claims misrepresentation in bankruptcy filing

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Why can't we just offer Anders Lee a contract for 7 x $7M and solidify our top 6 for the next 2 years before Krejci moves on?

No doubt Backes will be moved, just trying to find someone who will do it...that's probably driving Sweeney and Neely crazy right now. If Horton's cap can be moved, anyone can.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
8,4M not enough not to match.

The compensation is two 1st-2nd-3rd? Aho worth more.

Habs would become a playoffs team with Aho. They are 5th best in division without.

TB
Bos
Tor
Flo
Mtl
Buf
Det
Ott

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Even in the last year a lot of contracts were moved; Boston has one to move and apparently a ton of prospects and NHL ready players to make it happen.

Step up.

Bergevin in one year has made some bold moves to better his team and used the offer-sheet to accelerate the rebuild.

CP..playing Devil's Advocate, is there really a NEED to move Backes? I mean can't they just see how the season goes along and then look to free up cap space during the year should they need to add big at the deadline again?

Don't get me wrong...a RW for Krejci would be great and is a clear "need", but they're still a deep team who should be tough to beat. If it proves too difficult to move Backes, just put him in Providence or the press box. Oh well.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
If the cap hit is $1.075 million or less, it can be buried in the AHL and not affect the overall salary cap. Until the Bruins sign someone for more than that, can we stop panicking about every depth forward they sign? They're not going to keep more than 13 or 14 forwards on the NHL roster, so signing these players means nothing. They're not signing these guys to play in the top 9, unless they surprise us and play well in training camp.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
If the cap hit is $1.075 million or less, it can be buried in the AHL and not affect the overall salary cap. Until the Bruins sign someone for more than that, can we stop panicking about every depth forward they sign? They're not going to keep more than 13 or 14 forwards on the NHL roster, so signing these players means nothing. They're not signing these guys to play in the top 9, unless they surprise us and play well in training camp.

Its more fun to panic....even if its not a real panic situation.

Reactions: BMC

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
They are clearly building up their forward depth in Providence.

Leads me to believe they may be getting ready to finally dip into that stockpile
you gotta think so. The Lindholm signing makes no sense to me if it's to play in Boston unless they're doing something nobody sees coming like trading Coyle.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Carolina would be better off signing and trading him
Get an established player and a first rounder

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
It sucks that Aho signed an offersheet. I thought a Krejci++ for Aho swap would have made a lot of sense for both teams. Let's see what Sweeney has up his sleeve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad