GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FRENZY - JULY 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
CP..playing Devil's Advocate, is there really a NEED to move Backes? I mean can't they just see how the season goes along and then look to free up cap space during the year should they need to add big at the deadline again?

Don't get me wrong...a RW for Krejci would be great and is a clear "need", but they're still a deep team who should be tough to beat. If it proves too difficult to move Backes, just put him in Providence or the press box. Oh well.

Good question. Let's assume that everyone is correct and cap space is the new hot commodity over everything else. In that case, teams spend and move contracts to get to the floor and teams move out contracts to free up cap space.

Today, NHL teams filled a ton of space that Backes could have been moved into. Toronto pounced on Ottawa's cap space.

So my concern with Backes is twofold:

1. Backes decides that if something isn't done before the summer he will not waive.
2. No team has cap space to take him on in August or September.

Holding onto him and all the hundred or so 4th liners and bakers dozen of D protects them from injuries but ensures that the cap is spent on the current lineup and not fixing the HOLE.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
DKH early Line

1. Habs Cup Favorites
2. Leafs out of playoffs
3. Bruins won’t be good till January when Holdouts McAvoy & Carlo are back in shape

Reactions: Saxon Eric

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
8,4M not enough not to match.

The compensation is two 1st-2nd-3rd? Aho worth more.

Habs would become a playoffs team with Aho. They are 5th best in division without.

TB
Bos
Tor
Flo
Mtl
Buf
Det
Ott

EJ Hrdak made a good point saying the Canes should wait right till the last minute to match,therefore leaving the Canadians in limbo and behind the eight-ball on other FA for a week.

member 96824

No one is paying attention to the fact that it’s been over 3 hours and Krug still hasn’t been locked up. Unbelievable

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
If the cap hit is $1.075 million or less, it can be buried in the AHL and not affect the overall salary cap. Until the Bruins sign someone for more than that, can we stop panicking about every depth forward they sign? They're not going to keep more than 13 or 14 forwards on the NHL roster, so signing these players means nothing. They're not signing these guys to play in the top 9, unless they surprise us and play well in training camp.

Two-way or one-way contracts are what matters here; we all need to hope that Lindholm and company are 100% AHL bound.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Good question. Let's assume that everyone is correct and cap space is the new hot commodity over everything else. In that case, teams spend and move contracts to get to the floor and teams move out contracts to free up cap space.

Today, NHL teams filled a ton of space that Backes could have been moved into. Toronto pounced on Ottawa's cap space.

So my concern with Backes is twofold:

1. Backes decides that if something isn't done before the summer he will not waive.
2. No team has cap space to take him on in August or September.

Holding onto him and all the hundred or so 4th liners and bakers dozen of D protects them from injuries but ensures that the cap is spent on the current lineup and not fixing the HOLE.
Backes is going to be playing in Providence this year if he doesn't waive so I'm not super concerned about him blocking any potential deal.

Finding a partner is still a challenge though.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
uh Bjork, Steen, Senyshyn, Lauko, Studnicka, Frederic
Not to be overly critical, but meh.

Obviously that could prove to be a solid group, but it looks mediocre at best to me. I just wasn't sure what Ali was referring to when she said "stockpile". Anyway, we'll see if any of those guys get moved, and for any real value in return.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Wonder if someone is going in a Backes deal...

Its curious for sure and gotta give Sweeney props for trying to bolster the farm

I'm hoping for the same. Gotta keep optimistic.

Sign some AHL guys, then move some and Backes out and then jump into the offer sheet pool.

member 96824

Two-way or one-way contracts are what matters here; we all need to hope that Lindholm and company are 100% AHL bound.

Why? The only difference between and one way and a two way is the salary out of Mr. Jacobs pocket.

Not sure about you but that doesn’t really bother me

Reactions: Smitty93
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad