GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FRENZY - JULY 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm left wondering why he decided to sign the offer at all. I would have thought he commanded more, even as a RFA. Is signing a bonus-heavy, front-loaded contract at perhaps below-market-rate a bet on the lockout disrupting seasons during its duration?
It's not only lockout proof, I think athletes today have expert financial advisors, who have them thinking in actual dollars, not just the ego boost of having a high salary.

You know the old saying, "It's time IN the market, not TIMING the market?"

A 22 year old kid with $21 million is essentially set, and if invested wisely, that money can multiply exponentially, while he's still relatively young.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
NHL players like getting guarenteed money up front that is not held in escrow or tied up with the NHL. This way they immediately get their cash and can start investing it to make more. So taking less overall but more upfront may actually work out if he invests right.
It's also lock out protected. He gets paid for the potential lockout year either way.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Neither of those players was a legit top wing to play with Krejci. And they were deadline acquisitions.

You figure it out. No excuses. Maybe you can't afford it because you're wasting all of your cap space on the bottom of the roster.

This. Five years of the same language and finally a Cup lost because it wasn't addressed to keep the prospect pool deep is now a broken narrative.

Still plenty of time to make a splash but I can tell you with certainty that many GM's, agents and players are getting ready for what you just saw the guys doing on TSN: golfing.

Reactions: BMC and PlayMakers

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
how many legit top wings were moved at the deadline this year?

The only real wasted cap space right now is Backes, but that's obviously a big one. Even without him they probably can't afford that Panarin deal even if he was willing to sign here.
Highly disagree with your wasted cap space assessment.

And waiting until the deadline and then complaining about the "prices" at the deadline is exactly the problem.

You mean to suggest that teams haven't been able to add big time payers at big time salaries in the last half a decade? How many examples do you require?

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Ok I will do a Kevin Paul Dupont . Offer sheet Marner and worry about the consequences in September. I got the strategy.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Why??? The Bruins went to Game 7 of the Finals. Did Montreal even make the playoffs?

I've been critical of Sweeney before but I think he's due a large helping of benefit of the doubt now. And we know he doesn't jump every time a competitor makes a move. He's not going to feel any need to respond to this nor should he. The Bruins are still a far better team than Montreal.

I think Sweeney's only job here is to try to get rid of Backes (unlikely) and/or find another creative way to add a real winger for Krejci. But if he doesn't get either done this summer, oh well. No need to panic.

Montreal is building a good team and has a strong prospect pool. Adding Aho would be a major boost—a young, #1 C, at that. Boston has to compete with its division rivals.

I agree, though, that Sweeney's #1 job is to move Backes.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Even in the last year a lot of contracts were moved; Boston has one to move and apparently a ton of prospects and NHL ready players to make it happen.

Step up.

Bergevin in one year has made some bold moves to better his team and used the offer-sheet to accelerate the rebuild.
Well he traded Subban for Webber I don’t know if that was a great deal.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Have to assume that they made the deal so that the signing bonus is paid out almost immediately, so that it's too expensive for Carolina. How long after a player is signed can they be traded? Carolina could get more by trading Aho, but they probably have to pay out most of the year 1 money before they could trade him. Carolina is cash poor, but you can't afford to lose Aho for just a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
Produce your own talent instead trying weasel away others.I hate the offer sheet bull****

Yeah? Then Car should have paid for their own talent instead of being in a situation like this. I’d love it if the Bs got Aho like this

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
then why did you include him in this discussion in the first place? He can play in the middle 6 or in Providence. Maybe the Bruins have a 4th line logjam, but Kuhlman isn't part of it. That was part of the point of my original reply...including Kuhlman in your list only serves to bolster your argument that we have too many 4th liners making too much money. Maybe you're right, but Kuhlman is just padding those numbers & doesn't belong in this discussion. Anyway this is not worth discussing any more.

Lol fine take out kuhlman and you have 13% of your salary dedicated to 4th liners not 14%, but now we just signed another 4th liner in Gaunce from Vancouver. So right back up to 14%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->