GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FRENZY - JULY 1st - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I fixed that for you. They do not need another miniature forward with speed and skill that is unproven, they have enough of those. Get a legit top 6 winger with some b****. Move Heinen, LTIR Backes or move him and sign MacAvoy and Carlo. That would turn what has so far been another GM of the year disaster into an ok off season.

Skill is absolutely what this team needs in the top6. Guy like Ferland improves the midd6 but he doesn't make the 2nd line go. He's a complimentary player to a line.

At cheap I'll take him on the roster but as I said he's a complimentary player.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Skill is absolutely what this team needs in the top6. Guy like Ferland improves the midd6 but he doesn't make the 2nd line go. He's a complimentary player to a line.

Allegedly Ferland wants to get paid like a top line guy though. Probably not a deal Sweeney makes and good for him. How much would we all like Ferland if he was getting 6+ a year? It would be Jimmy Hayes all over again except on a grander scale.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

They need somebody in the top 6 who does the hard, dirty work, go to the net, bang in the corners, initiate contact in place of getting hit.

Do think that the perfection line would have struggled like it did in the finals if they had a Ferland, Anderson or Wilson to go to the net and create some some space, to help simplify the game instead of just looking for pretty passing plays or extra moves by Pastrnak that St. Louis just shut down?

More skill is great, I would love a Benn, Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Landeskog or Malkin in the top 6 but those players cost 8m+, get a gritty tough forward with some skill to complement your skill guys so you aren't shut down by teams with big D's or who hit you as soon as you try to stick handle through them.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

5/6 of the Bruins top six is skilled.

I would agree, they need some size up front. They got f***ing pasted all over the ice to the point where they were legit scared to get hit. All of them.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Allegedly Ferland wants to get paid like a top line guy though. Probably not a deal Sweeney makes and good for him. How much would we all like Ferland if he was getting 6+ a year? It would be Jimmy Hayes all over again except on a grander scale.
I have said as much as I like Ferland there is no way I pay him that, he also should never be mentioned in the sentence as Hayes, evah.

I'm sure his contract demands are why Ferland is still available, if they come down to a reasonable 3-4M a year for 4/5 years I would want GM of the year to be all over it. Move Heinen and Moore and you have Ferlands contract. Carry 21 players and you have his contract covered.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I have said as much as I like Ferland there is no way I pay him that, he also should never be mentioned in the sentence as Hayes, evah.

I'm sure his contract demands are why Ferland is still available, if they come down to a reasonable 3-4M a year for 4/5 years I would want GM of teh year to be all over it. Move Heinen and Moore and you have Ferlands contract. Carry 21 players and you have his contract covered.

He is better than Hayes, but Hayes sucked for his 2.3 mill a year. Ferland at 6 mil relatively speaking would be in that same territory. Not as bad but not close to worth the salary. Maybe Backes is a better comp, but either way, we agree you can't give the guy that kind of deal. I'd be happy with him at 3 or 4 a year also.

Reactions: bbfan419

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

He is also a complimentary player who has played on the Gaudreau-Monahan line in Calgary and the Canes top line in the state where it is legal to marry your first cousin, so he can play with and compliment skilled players quite well.

Reactions: BBruins and Strafer

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
They need somebody in the top 6 who does the hard, dirty work, go to the net, bang in the corners, initiate contact in place of getting hit.

Do think that the perfection line would have struggled like it did in the finals if they had a Ferland, Anderson or Wilson to go to the net and create some some space, to help simplify the game instead of just looking for pretty passing plays or extra moves by Pastrnak that St. Louis just shut down?

More skill is great, I would love a Benn, Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Landeskog or Malkin in the top 6 but those players cost 8m+, get a gritty tough forward with some skill to complement your skill guys so you aren't shut down by teams with big D's or who hit you as soon as you try to stick handle through them.

Nice post and I agree with everything except putting ferland in with the likes of Anderson and Wilson. I just don't see it with him over a long haul anyways,I could be wrong but for what it'll take to get him in Boston. I'll pass.

Reactions: bbfan419

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
We are still interested in Anderson why?

I thought he was very forgettable in the CBJ series. Was more interested in making big hits than plays, took dumb penalties, did not contribute offense much.

Reactions: JCRO

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

I thought he was very forgettable in the CBJ series. Was more interested in making big hits than plays, took dumb penalties, did not contribute offense much.
Because he is a potential 30 goal scorer who hits, fights, and plays a physical game. He had a bad series vs Boston, Pastrnak was terrible vs St. Louis, do we still want to keep him?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
He has potential to be elite but he could still fail here. I wouldn't put a huge question mark as a guy who could save the off-season.

He has elite talent,worth taking a shot on. There's a lot of love around here for Puljujarvi. I would much rather take a shot on Gusev, only problem would be fitting him in under the cap and coming to an agreement with him and Vegas for his rights.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Didn’t notice Ferland at all in the Carolina series. I’d sooner try Wagner than sign Ferland to a 5+ mil contract.
I agree that is too much and he didn't play well vs Boston, he also was just coming off a concussion and had missed 2 or 3 weeks before the series started.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass

He hits , does take penalties a lot because he hitting people. Can score. Plays hard...Former wing like K.Primeau type, I take him in a minute if he’s on the block. But he’s not . Plus I don’t know what package the bruins can come up with if he was. Only 10.2 in space ,it’s a bind.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Didn’t notice Ferland at all in the Carolina series. I’d sooner try Wagner than sign Ferland to a 5+ mil contract.

Not saying you aren't onto something with Ferland, but also not sure we should base our player evaluations on one series. There were multiple series this spring where Bergeron, Marchand and Pastrnak were close to invisible, to a man. And DeBrusk took almost the entire spring off (injury excuse or not). We wouldn't agree if Carolina fans felt any of those guys were overrated would we?

Reactions: Strafer

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

I agree. It's unfortunate with all their prospects to bargain that they had a couple chances to improve their top 6 grit with Ryan O'Reilly leaving Buffalo for St. Louis (we all know how well that turned out) and even (while not gritty) Taylor Hall traded for "cheap".

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Ask McAvoy and Chara if they think Anderson had a bad series. Sure he didn't tear it up offensively but he created pressure on the fore-check and delivered some nice hits forcing the Bruins defenders to move the puck quicker, which lead to transition problems. I'll take him in a heartbeat and if he was a Bruin last playoffs there would be another Stanley Cup Banner getting ready to be raised in the Garden, but I have a funny feeling Columbus knows what they have and aren't trading him any time soon.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I don't think that you can trade a player who is injured? Isn't Moore considered injured until/unless he returns from shoulder surgery?!?!

you can trade injured players but other teams are allowed to do a physical before a trade is finalized. few years ago Edmonton traded some 4th liner to LA who was injured.... LA protested and Edmonton had to include something to get the trade to go through

but of course LTIR guys are traded all the time... so you can definitely trade injured players.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I agree. It's unfortunate with all their prospects to bargain that they had a couple chances to improve their top 6 grit with Ryan O'Reilly leaving Buffalo for St. Louis (we all know how well that turned out) and even (while not gritty) Taylor Hall traded for "cheap".
Hall is actually pretty physical, one of the reasons he is hurt so much. Hopefully he finally becomes a Bruin next year.

Couldn't see Buffalo trading O'Reilly in division, but considering how clueless that team is they may have.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I've been trying not to post here about free agency just yet because truthfully I wasn't too happy with the lack of moves, but I knew this was a kneejerk reaction. I don't think our front office has done anything recently for us to not trust them. We clearly have a lot of bottom 6 talent right now and I believe they will bring the same philosophy into this season as they did last season - they will try to fill all the holes to start the year internally, once they have found who fits where and what needs to be filled again they will hopefully be active in the trade market to fill that hole again.

Now, it's also a long offseason ladies and gentlemen, there is a ton of time for additional signings/trades to be made before the season starts.

My wish list before the season starts is clear cap space and hopefully take a run at Dzingel/Johansson/Ferland to fill one of the holes we have. I feel like Dzingel and Debrusk on the same lines would cause some fits for other teams.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
With the departure of Panarin, Duchene and Dzingel from Columbus, I'd say that trying to pry Josh Anderson from the Blue Jackets is even more futile.
man I just realized Columbus had the worst possible outcome this summer. Went all-in at the deadline giving up a ton of assets just to win one playoff series & see their 4 big UFAs walk for nothing. There's no way they make the playoffs this year, right? & now they've given up picks that would have helped them recoup some of those losses. just brutal management.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
man I just realized Columbus had the worst possible outcome this summer. Went all-in at the deadline giving up a ton of assets just to win one playoff series & see their 4 big UFAs walk for nothing. There's no way they make the playoffs this year, right? & now they've given up picks that would have helped them recoup some of those losses. just brutal management.
Blue Jackets had never even won a series in their franchise's history. At some point I think you just have to say "f*** it" and go for it. Best player they've had in their franchise's history in Panarin, arguably the best goalie in the league, biggest deadline acquisition, etc. I think it's something the fan base probably appreciated more at the end of the day than just throwing in the towel yet again. Hindsight is always 20/20, but that building went nuts on the Jackets' run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad