GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FRENZY - JULY 1st - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Unless they are in complete rebuild and you offer Vaak and a forward of their choice not named Studnicka or Beecher

Senyshyn, Vaak and Frederic would get it done I think. You are giving up a lot but you are only giving up potential for an established top 6 power forward entering the prime of his career so you are going to have to over pay.

Boston said no to trade Vaak to Ottawa for Stone, doubt they think adding more to Vaak is worth Josh Anderson. People need to lay off this kid and move on.

Reactions: lopey

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Wasn't Koko in the top 5 in KHL scoring last year or the year before? I can't see a team without a really deep prospect pool giving up a potential Panarin. I always worry about production numbers from the KHL, traditionally a lot of career AHLers put up good to very good numbers in that league.

If he was as big as Malkin or Ovi then I would think a bit higher but with his size and production it seems to be a bigger gamble.

Khoko has played 0 times for Rus at the WC, Gusev has multiple times, this year scored 16 points in 10 games.

Khokos career high in the KHL is 50 points(37 this year), Gusevs 82, then he has another 71 point season under his belt. Why are we even comparing the 2 here?

You are not going to find a guy with more potential to be an impact player at 4M than Gusev from this market.

Panarin& Dads turned out pretty well I would say, similar skill players.

Reactions: Estlin

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Boston said no to trade Vaak to Ottawa for Stone, doubt they think adding more to Vaak is worth Josh Anderson. People need to lay off this kid and move on.
I know Josh Anderson is going to produce between 20-30 goals over the next 5-6 seasons, or at least have a better NHL comparable based on his production so far. He will be physical and has size and good speed and can play in the top 6. Vaak is a prospect who may one day become an NHL regular, anywhere from a 6th D to maybe by a stretch top pairing guy.

I make the deal for Stone or Anderson or any established young NHL top 6 player and don't look back.

Reactions: bbfan419

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
I know Josh Anderson is going to produce between 20-30 goals over the next 5-6 seasons, or at least have a better NHL comparable based on his production so far. He will be physical and has size and good speed and can play in the top 6. Vaak is a prospect who may one day become an NHL regular, anywhere from a 6th D to maybe by a stretch top pairing guy.

I make the deal for Stone or Anderson or any established young NHL top 6 player and don't look back.

So 3 cost controlled prospects that could fit into the lineup this or next year for a 2/3 line forward? Stone is a 1st line player in his prime. I'd have done the Stone deal (given we don't know what else was required) but Josh Anderson is not our saviour especially for that cost.

Seny could be the same player as JA, younger and cheaper. Vaak is projected to be in at least the top 4 and on the left side, which is what we'll need soon. And Fred is a big center, something we lack outside of Bergy and Krej.

I don't trade Vaak for him, maybe Seny or Fred but not both. My opinion not trying to argue.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
We are still interested in Anderson why?

I thought he was very forgettable in the CBJ series. Was more interested in making big hits than plays, took dumb penalties, did not contribute offense much.

Didn’t notice Ferland at all in the Carolina series. I’d sooner try Wagner than sign Ferland to a 5+ mil contract.

No offense, but "I didn't notice him in that series" is a pretty weak argument. Do you think Columbus, Carolina or St Louis fans noticed Jake DeBrusk? I didn't notice him and I'm a Bruins fan. He had an extremely quiet/disappointing playoff. That doesn't mean he's a bad player or not worth investing in. Ferland has had some mammoth playoff series where he was an absolute terror. All these guys go through injuries... I'm just saying I wouldn't throw out a career's worth of evidence because you didn't notice a guy for 4 or 5 games.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Don't think they would entertain it. Cirelli is still cost controlled this year whereas Heinen is do a raise. Dealing him within the division is also scary as he almost put up 20g in a limited roll in his rookie season.
Guess you are right, just could see both these guys fitting better for the other teams.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
@BB88, @Fenian24

I always felt like the best lines were a blend of skill, speed and power. All those Chicago Cup winners, they always found a way to compliment Toews and Kane with a bruiser who could create a little chaos and go to the net, whether it was Byfuglien, Ladd or even a guy like Bickell. LA did it too, flanking Kopitar and Gaborik with Dustin Brown. Pittsburgh's recent cup winning teams are given a lot of credit for being fast but again, that top line was Crosby, Sheary and Hornqvist. Hornqvist isn't the biggest guy but he threw over 200 hits in 2017. He plays that simple, greasy game and when a guy goes to the net it draws defenders and creates space for the skill guys. Washington is one of the most skilled teams in the league and they stuck a pure banger like Wilson with two of the most talented players in the world and it helped them get a Cup. St.Louis has O'Reilly and Schenn as hitters and heavy down low bodies in their top6...

I think Sweeney acknowledged this too in his press conference the other day. He said they have this identity they're building towards (which I think is about skill and speed on the wings) and he said you don't want to lose that but at the same time you have to recognize that the playoffs are a different style and you have to able to adapt to that.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I agree that is too much and he didn't play well vs Boston, he also was just coming off a concussion and had missed 2 or 3 weeks before the series started.

This guy has scored 20 goals once in his career and has a history of dragging his linemates down. Frankly most of what you're saying about him can't be backed up empirically.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
In order to get anything good, you either have to overpay or give up assets - that's the bottom line. Unless of course you draft really well and hope a kid can be good in 2 or 3 years, but that's 2 or 3 more years that your core guys age and what shape are you in then?

Sometimes you have to be patient and other times you need to go for it. Feels like this team needs to go for it....

Reactions: Spooner st

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
@BB88, @Fenian24

I always felt like the best lines were a blend of skill, speed and power. All those Chicago Cup winners, they always found a way to compliment Toews and Kane with a bruiser who could create a little chaos and go to the net, whether it was Byfuglien, Ladd or even a guy like Bickell. LA did it too, flanking Kopitar and Gaborik with Dustin Brown. Pittsburgh's recent cup winning teams are given a lot of credit for being fast but again, that top line was Crosby, Sheary and Hornqvist. Hornqvist isn't the biggest guy but he threw over 200 hits in 2017. He plays that simple, greasy game and when a guy goes to the net it draws defenders and creates space for the skill guys. Washington is one of the most skilled teams in the league and they stuck a pure banger like Wilson with two of the most talented players in the world and it helped them get a Cup. St.Louis has O'Reilly and Schenn as hitters and heavy down low bodies in their top6...

I think Sweeney acknowledged this too in his press conference the other day. He said they have this identity they're building towards (which I think is about skill and speed on the wings) and he said you don't want to lose that but at the same time you have to recognize that the playoffs are a different style and you have to able to adapt to that.

This team has minimal amount of cap space available.

In a good situation you could add both, Ferland& Gusev. But right now it's not really likely and when I think what's the biggest issue with this team and who has the most potential to solve it it's Gusev.
That 2nd line needs to be a consistent scoring line, and Krejci is going to decline. Gusev potentially is an impact player in a similar way to Panarin& Dads and help to create a scoring 2nd line, and drive it.

It's risky but the potential on reward is high and the cap space again is very limited, and the market is extremely limited.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
No offense, but "I didn't notice him in that series" is a pretty weak argument. Do you think Columbus, Carolina or St Louis fans noticed Jake DeBrusk? I didn't notice him and I'm a Bruins fan. He had an extremely quiet/disappointing playoff. That doesn't mean he's a bad player or not worth investing in. Ferland has had some mammoth playoff series where he was an absolute terror. All these guys go through injuries... I'm just saying I wouldn't throw out a career's worth of evidence because you didn't notice a guy for 4 or 5 games.
I was wasting my breath , I tried already . Lol

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Maz saying he hopes no one offers Mcavoy an offer sheet. He should know he can't be offered sheeted not enough years. Someone call in and tell him lol. Im in Canada and don't want to pay LD lol

Reactions: Strafer

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
@BB88, @Fenian24

I agree with your ideal lines. I like having two skilled guys flanked by either a grinder or a big body.

This is why I think they may try Ritchie with Debrusk and Krejci. He isn't the ideal guy, but maybe he can disrupt the other team enough with his size to add a much needed dimension to that 2nd line. Hell, they even tried Backes on that wing during the playoffs because they clearly think size is what that line is lacking.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
This guy has scored 20 goals once in his career and has a history of dragging his linemates down. Frankly most of what you're saying about him can't be backed up empirically.
Ahhh advanced stats, yet coaches in Calgary and Carolina found some reason to play him on their top line at m,any points when he was there. Could it be he creates plays with his physical style that advanced metrics don't register?

I'll take his 20 goals and 40 points on Krecji's wing over some advanced metrics darling who never throws a hit and is as soft as butter. A couple guys like Ferland and maybe, just maybe, St. Louis doesn't win the cup last year.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
So 3 cost controlled prospects that could fit into the lineup this or next year for a 2/3 line forward? Stone is a 1st line player in his prime. I'd have done the Stone deal (given we don't know what else was required) but Josh Anderson is not our saviour especially for that cost.

Seny could be the same player as JA, younger and cheaper. Vaak is projected to be in at least the top 4 and on the left side, which is what we'll need soon. And Fred is a big center, something we lack outside of Bergy and Krej.

I don't trade Vaak for him, maybe Seny or Fred but not both. My opinion not trying to argue.
No argument, I always take the established, young player over prospects, every time. Especially if I consider him a top 6 player. Fill the bottom 6 with a few prospects or use low cost players on your fourth line so you can pay your top 6 and top 4 D.

I doubt Senyshyn ever plays more than 20 games in the NHL, I would be amazed if he ever scores more than 25 as Anderson has in two consecutive seasons. He hasn't been able to score in the minors in 2 seasons and wasn't very impressive in his last OHL season either. I like Frederic but who knows what he becomes, same with Vaak. Give me the player I know will produce with an NHL pedigree over a prospect, especially one trending like Senyshyn.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I consider MoJo a top 6 player.To the best of my knowledge, he hasn't been picked up yet. There are very few top 6 available as of now. Maybe he is working a deal with the Bruins. I hope

Reactions: bruins19

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Ahhh advanced stats, yet coaches in Calgary and Carolina found some reason to play him on their top line at m,any points when he was there. Could it be he creates plays with his physical style that advanced metrics don't register?

I'll take his 20 goals and 40 points on Krecji's wing over some advanced metrics darling who never throws a hit and is as soft as butter. A couple guys like Ferland and maybe, just maybe, St. Louis doesn't win the cup last year.

He's only scored 20 goals once. He plays less than 15 min a night. You can dismiss advanced stats all you want but they are a measure of actual events. your opinion is based on an outdated "feeling" about hockey that isn't backed up by evidence. All of his linemates performed better without him than with him in terms of production, so there isn't much evidence that he "creates space."

The rest of your opinion is based largely on your own opinion and unwavering commitment to it, despite whatever evidence is presented to the contrary.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
He's only scored 20 goals once. He plays less than 15 min a night. You can dismiss advanced stats all you want but they are a measure of actual events. your opinion is based on an outdated "feeling" about hockey that isn't backed up by evidence. All of his linemates performed better without him than with him in terms of production, so there isn't much evidence that he "creates space."

The rest of your opinion is based largely on your own opinion and unwavering commitment to it, despite whatever evidence is presented to the contrary.
Yes because I do not believe in advanced stats in hockey. I believe what I see and his last two years in Calgary I watched a lot of their games and he is the type of top 6 player the Bruins need.

I believe what I see not advanced stats, I do give them more credence in baseball but very little in hockey.

How were St. Louis' advanced stats vs Bostons last year before the finals?

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Yes because I do not believe in advanced stats in hockey. I believe what I see and his last two years in Calgary I watched a lot of their games and he is the type of top 6 player the Bruins need.

I believe what I see not advanced stats, I do give them more credence in baseball but very little in hockey.

How were St. Louis' advanced stats vs Bostons last year before the finals?

"don't believe" equals "do not understand." They are simply a measure of what happened in a game. You can agree or disagree on how predictive they are for future play, but arguing about their validity in telling us what happened in a game is as silly as arguing the score. Every one of those elite line mates you mentioned scored more points when they were away from him. Not just shot share or XG, more points when he was away.

And to answer your question, St louis and Boston were pretty even going into the series. 50.55 CF% vs 50.65, XGF% 51.82 vs 49.14. The differences are essentially meaningless and in the finals, St Louis very narrowly outplayed Boston by those same metrics. Which is to be expected in a 7 game series.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion, but this guy you've hitched your wagon to isn't all that good, hence why noone is paying him what he's asking for yet.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I consider MoJo a top 6 player.To the best of my knowledge, he hasn't been picked up yet. There are very few top 6 available as of now. Maybe he is working a deal with the Bruins. I hope
Would be nice if he was waiting for the Bruins to clear cap. Our team would be much better already if Backes is somehow shipped out and we retain MoJo.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

It makes a difference when everyone and their grandmother on this board was salivating over Anderson all year long only to finally see them in the second round and see....meh..

Is that a judgement on the player? No, too small a sample size.

Is it a judgement on posters STILL salivating over Anderson. Yes, yes it is.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

How many mammoth series has Ferland had? He's only been to the postseason 3 times in his career.

2014-2015 = 9 GP - 5 POINTS
2016-2017 = 4 GP - 0 POINTS
2018-2019 = 7 GP - 1 POINT

I'm not seeing anything special, here. His best postseason was his first in 2014/2015. Since then, a total nonfactor.

Reactions: Skelen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->