GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FIZZLE - Mod warning page 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Don’t think we are guilty of shying away from contact we just played a really big team and ours is a little undersized.

Problem is that we doubled down on this by being reliant on the PP. We were handed G3 on a platter because St Louis just wanted to cheap shot us and we didn’t play another good game until G6 when we were facing elimination.

We could have swept them they couldn’t have swept us. We could blow them out they couldn’t beat us 5-1 or something. Yes we we’re the better team and would win more times than not if we played again. But that don’t matter if your looking for calls the whole game it goes right out the window.

I just cant accept being a team like MTL or Tornoto ever who gets pushed around. I know the team is trending that way but the last 2 cup champs and the 2011 Bruins were not that. Cant get excited about a team philosophy that cedes the physical aspect of the game

Last edited:

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I read somewhere that the Islanders thinking about doing it. Hell , I go 14-15.0 M per , you want the player that bad .... overpay. Throw a 20 million signing bonus in their too on the side. Watch Toronto still match it. So Toronto matches .. who’s up for point next . Lol
Oh man, the Isles sheeting Marner would be tremendous theater.

Reactions: Strafer

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The offer sheet should be New Jersey

They got the Cap space

They got a little rivalry developing with the Rangers

Hughes - Marner vs Kakko- Panaren

Marner is Taylor Hall replacement After this year to play with Hughes

Devils have been ass so might be a good time for Shero to try something

You give Marner 5 years or whatever gets him to RFA pay him 11-13 so will affect atleast 2 Leafs

Makes sense to me

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Fine, let's talk about Savard.

The guy came to the Bruins a year after they had 29 wins and had a gaping hole down the middle. He was a big risk but they were desperate. It worked out but I still don't get the sense that Savard is BFF with any of the current Bruins.

At that time they were taking a risk when they had nothing to lose. This team, meanwhile, was one win away from the Cup. He also plays the 1 forward position where they don't need help. If he were a center, I could see it because it won't be long before Bergeron and Krejci are done, but I think they're better off saving the cap room and waiting for Monohon, Barkov or Mackinnon to hit free agency.
Aaaand now they have a LOT to lose. Sign him to a huge contract with a NMC/ NTC and watch the locker room atmosphere turn to s**t. No thanks. Furthermore his knee(s) are bad and he had surgery on one twice IIRC in one year. Mark Stone he is not. For Stone I pay it happily!

Last edited:

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
@OV

When did Mojo say that he didnt want to stay? All that I read was that he liked here and wanted to work something out.

My point of view is that it is very arrogant from Sweeney to think everything will be fine with internal competition. There is a glaring hole in Krejci's right side and even Jake on the other one is to streaky. If it doesnt work then you have to pay deep prices at the trade deadline again? To not even speak with Mojo who played great here is a big minus for me.

I never said he didn't want to stay. Maybe he'd do cartwheels to stay in Boston.
What I said is..."For all we know". ....because we're not exactly privy to what goes
on behind closed doors......unless the player or management, or someone in the know
can tell us.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Just because Sweeney did not give and offer to Johansson does not mean the two camps did not talk.

It could have been as easy as:

Don: So whereabouts are you look at pricerange wise for your next contract.
Johansson/Agent: 5 million+
Don: That would price you out of a return to Boston. Thanks for your play this season, good luck to you.

Don could have reached out, found out that the Johansson camp was going to go for the money in FA. Or was told a number he simply was unwilling to pay. So he did not even bother offering a contract, as there would be not point then.

Noone has said anything except Sweeney saying he did not give Johansson and offer.

Besides, Marcus can make more playing in someone elses top 9.

Reactions: OV

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Just because Sweeney did not give and offer to Johansson does not mean the two camps did not talk.

Don: That would price you out of a return to Boston. Thanks for your play this season, good luck to you.

Don could have reached out, found out that the Johansson camp was going to go for the money in FA. Or was told a number he simply was unwilling to pay. So he did not even bother offering a contract, as there would be not point then.

Noone has said anything except Sweeney saying he did not give Johansson and offer.

The longer he goes unsigned, the more I like our chances to re-sign him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I just cant accept being a team like MTL or Tornoto ever who gets pushed around. I know the team is trending that way but the last 2 cup champs and the 2011 Bruins were not that. Cant get excited about a team philosophy that cedes the physical aspect of the game
Remember when the Bruins were playing missing 4 or 5 of top 8 Defenseman?

They went thru 12 Defenseman going to Lauzon after Vaakanainen got dinged for an extended period

Gave us the mid year Clifton- Lauzon pairing

Bruins kept winning

Will the Leafs be able to handle that ?

Reactions: RustyBruins72

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

They went thru 12 Defenseman going to Lauzon after Vaakanainen got dinged for an extended period

Bruins kept winning

No

Reactions: bbfan419

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Bruins kept winning

But they didnt win and toughness was a part of that which I've always been in favor of having . They've also lost 7 of the last 8 finals, this an 2013 were wasted opportunities. They have another run in them granted they get some players that can limit the hits agaisnt the skill players

Last edited:
Reactions: Tbaybruin

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Bruins kept winning

Yes and no, and I would like to see Sweeney turn some of that deep defense into a top six forward.

Last edited:

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006

Sweeney likely got a feeling where he was at. Told him that we liked the fit we would like you to stay but we got some RFA to sign and some things to do. Test things out, we don’t want to hold you back but if you give me some time we may be able to work something out. My guess is Sweeney has absolutely not ruled out mojo staying...and has made that clear to mojo camp. Without a doubt mojo has offers from other teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Yes and no, and I would like to see Sweeney turn some of that deep defense into a top six forward.
1st, top prospect, and roster player do it.... with exception of cap space which means a good core player. Or you add more assets to dump a contract.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com

Bruins kept winning

I think the revamped TOR defense is much better and deeper than folks are willing to admit. A top 6 of Reilly, Muzzin, Barrie, Dermott and Harper is arguably better (on paper) than BOS’ group.While I dislike Codi Ceci, he should be fine playing alongside Muzzin. Dermott in the bottom pairing is a luxury.

As for depth, they have a few veteran journeyman and a few young studs in the Marlies (who always seem to be good).

We need to see how this new line-up plays, but I would let be surprised if they dominate.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I like your positivity here.

I try lol. The good news is he liked his time in Boston and we're already a cup contender. I doubt he'd take a 1yr deal considering he's 28yr old, but who knows. I think a season of he and Coyle together could be something fun to watch. I mean would it be unrealistic to think they could each be 50+ point players on the 3rd line? Mojo for his career is around a 46pt player and Coyle closer to a 41pt guy. Then you got Heinen who was nearly a 50pt guy his rookie season, can he return to form and get over the 50pt mark.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Marner's loves playing in Toronto, I don't know if he would sign an offer sheet...

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I think the revamped TOR defense is much better and deeper than folks are willing to admit. A top 6 of Reilly, Muzzin, Barrie, Dermott and Harper is arguably better (on paper) than BOS’ group.While I dislike Codi Ceci, he should be fine playing alongside Muzzin. Dermott in the bottom pairing is a luxury.

As for depth, they have a few veteran journeyman and a few young studs in the Marlies (who always seem to be good).

We need to see how this new line-up plays, but I would let be surprised if they dominate.
That Toronto defense is still brutal. Certainly when compared to Boston's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad