GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FIZZLE - Mod warning page 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Maybe put him (or someone) as the 3rd line C to start with Coyle moving up to RW?

Would definitely prefer we stay 3 deep at center but it's also an option

Would be severely disappointed if Carey was our 3rd line center next season.

I don’t see Coyle leaving the middle. Other not-so options at 3rd center are Heinen, Wagner, Kuhlman, Fredrik, Studnicka & Lauko.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Columbus was no where near as physical,maybe the first 10 min of a game but that was about it,and usually only a handful of players,St Louis did it for almost entire games and many more players were physical..

riiiiiight, ok

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Might be a good thing but this is the message I get as a fan:

'You've seen this lineup before. You've seen this team before. They're good. Tune in to watch after the trade deadline. See you then.'

For better or worse that is the message and feeling I get. Probably the most logical decision from a business standpoint. Hope it's somewhat entertaining for the STH.

Reactions: Strafer

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Might be a good thing but this is the message I get as a fan:

'You've seen this lineup before. You've seen this team before. They're good. Tune in to watch after the trade deadline. See you then.'

For better or worse that is the message and feeling I get. Probably the most logical decision from a business standpoint. Hope it's somewhat entertaining for the STH.
I hate that logic. It worked this year and I give Sweeney full credit for that, but in don't want to hear " prices were too high, etc" if this team doesn't improve.

Right now they have a hole at 2 and 3 RW. That's pretty significant. I would rather that be addressed now so the team can jell than in March. Also you may still need to add a piece in March, better one than multiple pieces.

Sweeney puts way to much stock in a very iffy prospects pool.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I hate that logic. It worked this year and I give Sweeney full credit for that, but in don't want to hear " prices were too high, etc" if this team doesn't improve.

Right now they have a hole at 2 and 3 RW. That's pretty significant. I would rather that be addressed now so the team can jell than in March. Also you may still need to add a piece in March, better one than multiple pieces.

Sweeney puts way to much stick in a very iffy prospects pool.

In a cap world contending teams need to be able to get contributions from prospects and I think that 3RW spot is the perfect place to try and do that and then see where you're at come deadline time. Do agree fully on the hole at 2RW, though. I wonder what Ferland's asking for. I'm surprised that he's still unsigned at this point

Reactions: Johnny Dangles

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
This is nice to read with the slow free agency Summer.

Boston Bruins: John Beecher could be this team’s next great American

Having seen at the Boston Bruins Development Camp, the speed at which this man moves, despite his size, you’d say he’s already looking a strong bet to fit right into the style of the modern NHL. His release didn’t look half-bad either! If he can focus on his 200-foot game in the NCAA, he’s going to eventually make his way to the NHL as the perfect long-term replacement for David Krejci.

Reactions: TCB and bbfan419

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
In a cap world contending teams need to be able to get contributions from prospects and I think that 3RW spot is the perfect place to try and do that and then see where you're at come deadline time. Do agree fully on the hole at 2RW, though. I wonder what Ferland's asking for. I'm surprised that he's still unsigned at this point
First rumor was 7x7 which I wouldn't touch him at and I think he would be a perfect fit.

I believe in working in prospects but none of our current crop of forwards have scored in Providence. I have ginev up on Senyshyn ever being a goal scorer but if he hits, drives the net with his speed and plays ok D I dont mind looking at him with Ritchie and Wagner able to fill in there in a pinch.

To bad Beecher is a college commit his size and speed could work at LW at least on the third line while they try Heinen at RW on that line.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

This year was a perfect outlier in many ways, including the type of team that won.

Expecting this to repeat itself or the perfect storm of teams eliminated prior to the Bruins playing them is not logical. They cannot simply continue building around 4th line depth and praying prospects fill the top nine holes.

If the prospect pool reflected that capability it would be one thing but the prospect hype just is not there at forward outside of one or two hopefuls, as optimistic as we like to be each year.
. Defense will be fine but goals are going to be crucial in the new era of high scoring seasons.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
This is nice to read with the slow free agency Summer.

Boston Bruins: John Beecher could be this team’s next great American

Having seen at the Boston Bruins Development Camp, the speed at which this man moves, despite his size, you’d say he’s already looking a strong bet to fit right into the style of the modern NHL. His release didn’t look half-bad either! If he can focus on his 200-foot game in the NCAA, he’s going to eventually make his way to the NHL as the perfect long-term replacement for David Krejci.

I'd like to see prospects who focus on their offensive game. THAT would be nice. Otherwise he will not be sniffing replacing Krejci.

Reactions: Estlin

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
First rumor was 7x7 which I wouldn't touch him at and I think he would be a perfect fit.

I believe in working in prospects but none of our current crop of forwards have scored in Providence. I have ginev up on Senyshyn ever being a goal scorer but if he hits, drives the net with his speed and plays ok D I dont mind looking at him with Ritchie and Wagner able to fill in there in a pinch.

To bad Beecher is a college commit his size and speed could work at LW at least on the third line while they try Heinen at RW on that line.

I know they want to keep Studnicka at C, but maybe they try to break Frederic in at wing for a year. I want him to be C full time but I’m intrigued by playing him with Coyle

Reactions: Fenian24

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Give the young guys a chance and fill the gaps at the deadline. It worked this year and it's the best strategy.

Bjork, Frederic, Kuhlman, Senyshyn, Steen, Studnicka... they all deserve a real opportunity. Not only that, if you give them some games it's a chance for them to develop and see where they're at.

If not, you pick up a guy like Toffoli, Kreider, Hoffman, Soderberg or even Taylor Hall at the deadline.

Perhaps Sweeny doesn't want to get locked into anything because he has his eye on Hall next summer. Hall grew up a Bruins fan.

Reactions: bbfan419

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

The issue is obvious: The Bruins don't know yet if Coyle is a #2RW or a #3C. This place has carved his name into stone at 3C but Sweeney isn't stupid. Ask any Minnesota fan and they will tell you that he's better at wing. He had a great 24 games at 3C for the Bruins but if you take away Johansson it might not be so pretty. We just don't know.

So you let him try both a figure it out. At the same time, you give your RW prospects a chance and your C prospects a chance. If one steals a spot it makes the answer easier.

There's no mystery to how Sweeney is going this, it's stupidly obvious.

Sure, if you can get someone to take Backes you do it but if you start trading away 1st rounders to clear a contract, you're going to pay the price down the road.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Perhaps Sweeny doesn't want to get locked into anything because he has his eye on Hall next summer. Hall grew up a Bruins fan.

I'd love to get a guy like that for free. At the same time, I dunno. The Bruins have been building and drafting around character guys for a long time now and there are a lot of stories about Hall that don't exactly fit into the Patrice Bergeron mould.

Reactions: Strafer

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I'd love to get a guy like that for free. At the same time, I dunno. The Bruins have been building and drafting around character guys for a long time now and there are a lot of stories about Hall that don't exactly fit into the Patrice Bergeron mould.

What does this mean? I’ve never heard of a thing.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
would you do 7/84 for him? that's what it will take prob.

I think that's why the trade deadline is underrated.

People always say "why give up a 1st rounder for XXXX when you can get him for free on July 1". For a guy like Hall, you can see if he fits in, what he's like, etc. That's some valuable information because if he's a bad fit, you might lose him for nothing but you saved yourself from making a big mistake.

Reactions: bbfan419

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
The issue is obvious: The Bruins don't know yet if Coyle is a #2RW or a #3C. This place has carved his name into stone at 3C but Sweeney isn't stupid. Ask any Minnesota fan and they will tell you that he's better at wing. He had a great 24 games at 3C for the Bruins but if you take away Johansson it might not be so pretty. We just don't know.

So you let him try both a figure it out. At the same time, you give your RW prospects a chance and your C prospects a chance. If one steals a spot it makes the answer easier.

There's no mystery to how Sweeney is going this, it's stupidly obvious.

Sure, if you can get someone to take Backes you do it but if you start trading away 1st rounders to clear a contract, you're going to pay the price down the road.

I'm sure I've read the opposite from Minnesota fans.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
would you do 7/84 for him? that's what it will take prob.
Fully expect it to be around there , yeah, I do it. Hall is a proven player, wouldn't cost any assets and would be effective for the entire length of that deal. UFA's get paid, if ever there was one I'd be on board for it's him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->