GDT: NHL/BRUINS - FREE AGENT FIZZLE - Mod warning page 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Pasta

ANTHONY!
Aug 20, 2006
The Granite Town in The Granite State
I think the revamped TOR defense is much better and deeper than folks are willing to admit. A top 6 of Reilly, Muzzin, Barrie, Dermott and Harper is arguably better (on paper) than BOS’ group.While I dislike Codi Ceci, he should be fine playing alongside Muzzin. Dermott in the bottom pairing is a luxury.

As for depth, they have a few veteran journeyman and a few young studs in the Marlies (who always seem to be good).

We need to see how this new line-up plays, but I would let be surprised if they dominate.

Their defense is better for sure, but at the cost of Kadri, having those three centers was a huge advantage they had to give up (Kadri is a great 2C and they hand him centering a third line with nylander).

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
I think the revamped TOR defense is much better and deeper than folks are willing to admit. A top 6 of Reilly, Muzzin, Barrie, Dermott and Harper is arguably better (on paper) than BOS’ group.While I dislike Codi Ceci, he should be fine playing alongside Muzzin. Dermott in the bottom pairing is a luxury.

As for depth, they have a few veteran journeyman and a few young studs in the Marlies (who always seem to be good).

We need to see how this new line-up plays, but I would let be surprised if they dominate.

McAvoy
Carlo
Krug
Grizz
Clifton
Chara
Miller
Moore
Kampfer
Uhro V

The Bruins have more overall depth on D.. The forwards .. Leafs. Goaltending...Bruins.
Coaching... Bruins

Both over 100 point teams. IMO. Until the games are played on the ice this coming year, we have no idea if it jells.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Their defense is better for sure, but at the cost of Kadri, having those three centers was a huge advantage they had to give up (Kadri is a great 2C and they hand him centering a third line with nylander).

Alexander Kerfoot is a very solid 3C. I don’t thing Dubas (or Babcock) are concerned about their C depth.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

I don't see their defense being much better at all. They're biggest weakness was letting in goals. They added Ceci and Barrie, who both get scored on a lot. More than Hainsey, Gardiner, and even Zaitsev.

They lost there top two penalty killing defenseman. Dermott is out with an injury and for part of the season. Ben Harpur is an AHLer. There veteran depth are a bunch of guys who should be in the AHL, and their "young studs" are completely unproven.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I don't see their defense being much better at all. They're biggest weakness was letting in goals. They added Ceci and Barrie, who both get scored on a lot. More than Hainsey, Gardiner, and even Zaitsev.

They lost there top two penalty killing defenseman. Dermott is out with an injury and for part of the season. Ben Harpur is an AHLer. There veteran depth are a bunch of guys who should be in the AHL, and their "young studs" are completely unproven.

Tyson Barrie is underrated. He had some tough years in COL, but he was good last year at both ends of the ice. A top pairing of Reilly and Barrie skating 30 mins a night gives TOR something most teams do not have.

Reilly was a top 3 defender last year.

For me it comes down to Ceci. He came out as a two way guy with OTT in his first few seasons. He struggled the last few years. Playing next to a guy like Muzzin - two big D with a long reach - and they can skate for 24+ mins a night...that could make it tough for teams. If we are looking at the bottom pair...it is that #6RD that is pretty weak. I don’t think that skater sees more than 10 mins a night either way. However, a kid like Liljegren could step in and make a difference. The Bruins saw this with plenty of younger players, some with minimal pedigree.

So, while the depth is relatively thin, the top 5 with Dermott is very strong, in my opinion.

I hope they suck, though!

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Claude now has Weber and Chiarot who both have size and 1 is a stay at home Dman. Can Chara really be effective a whole season as a #1 to match this pair? Bruins will need to acquire some size on D IMO, just like they need size in the top 6

Reactions: bbfan419

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
Lots and Lots of chatter this morning about a Marner offer sheet from the Islanders at 12.5 mil.

I'll believe it when i see it.

It'd be great to see Lou have the last laugh with the team that dumped him.
His contract may have been up but I personally believe he wanted to stay.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
A $12.5m offersheet to Marner would doom the Leafs. Heck, even at $10.5m offersheet would put them in an uncompetitive position because of the cap.

And if they let him walk, they'd be a non-playoff team without their own 1st rounder.

Reactions: Strafer

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
A $12.5m offersheet to Marner would doom the Leafs. Heck, even at $10.5m offersheet would put them in an uncompetitive position because of the cap.

And if they let him walk, they'd be a non-playoff team without their own 1st rounder.

Leafs IMO are not team to be concerned about until they win a 1st round series. They aren't physical, they choke, their D is terrible, and their forwards are easily handled by a top pairing D in big games.

TB, Washington are much more complete legit teams, Leafs are pretenders that play like 8th seed when the playoffs start. What they do matters little

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Leafs IMO are not team to be concerned about until they win a 1st round series. They aren't physical, they choke, their D is terrible, and their forwards are easily handled by a top pairing D in big games.

TB, Washington are much more complete legit teams, Leafs are pretenders that play like 8th seed when the playoffs start. What they do matters little

I agree 100%. The only reason the series was close was because the Bruins played like garbage and Kuraly was out. Nothing about that team fears me.

But if you were stuck in Toronto and stuck listening to the idiot Toronto media fawning about them all the time, you'd want them to implode too.

Reactions: OV and bbfan419

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Tyson Barrie is underrated. He had some tough years in COL, but he was good last year at both ends of the ice. A top pairing of Reilly and Barrie skating 30 mins a night gives TOR something most teams do not have.

Reilly was a top 3 defender last year.

For me it comes down to Ceci. He came out as a two way guy with OTT in his first few seasons. He struggled the last few years. Playing next to a guy like Muzzin - two big D with a long reach - and they can skate for 24+ mins a night...that could make it tough for teams. If we are looking at the bottom pair...it is that #6RD that is pretty weak. I don’t think that skater sees more than 10 mins a night either way. However, a kid like Liljegren could step in and make a difference. The Bruins saw this with plenty of younger players, some with minimal pedigree.

So, while the depth is relatively thin, the top 5 with Dermott is very strong, in my opinion.

I hope they suck, though!

Rielly is not a top 3 defenseman. He is a #1 whose offense is perfect for, and bolstered by, the Toronto offense.

Barrie is a lesser Krug.

Dermott will be good in time but right now he is a 3rd pairing defenseman. Muzzin once was great but now just good.

Ceci is terrible. Harpur is terrible. Their own fans and media don't have the great excitement for Liljegren they once had.

It's a defense much like last year in that it will create offense and transition but is even worse at preventing goals than last year.

If they lose Marner... that is a team that could miss the playoffs.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I agree 100%. The only reason the series was close was because the Bruins played like garbage and Kuraly was out. Nothing about that team fears me.

But if you were stuck in Toronto and stuck listening to the idiot Toronto media fawning about them all the time, you'd want them to implode too.

I just hope we don't use Toronto as a team to measure our success against as they've never had any. Not a contender to be feared the slightest bit.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Rielly is not a top 3 defenseman. He is a #1 whose offense is perfect for, and bolstered by, the Toronto offense.

Barrie is a lesser Krug.

Dermott will be good in time but right now he is a 3rd pairing defenseman. Muzzin once was great but now just good.

Ceci is terrible. Harpur is terrible. Their own fans and media don't have the great excitement for Liljegren they once had.

It's a defense much like last year in that it will create offense and transition but is even worse at preventing goals than last year.

I think there's a good chance they miss the playoffs with Marner. They barely made it last year and slumped hard down the stretch. They also never faced any real injury adversity. Plus they're going to be starting Hutchinson for +20 games and I don't think the players have a lot of faith in Babcock right now.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com

Barrie is a lesser Krug.

I meant Reilly was top 3 in the league last year...not a top 3 defender on the depth chart.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I meant Reilly was top 3 in the league last year...not a top 3 defender on the depth chart.

You gotta be watching a lot of TSN to believe that nonsense. The Bruins have lit him up in the playoffs two years in a row.

What kind of 'top-3' defenseman doesn't play the penalty kill? Especially when they're getting lit up like the Leafs were against Boston. Oh wait, they actually tried it and he played 4:27 total on the PK in the series and was on for 3 goals against. Even worse: Last year he only played 2:39 on the PK in the series and was still on the ice for three goals against -- that's just 23 seconds per game!

In the past two playoffs, Reilly was on for 18 goals against versus the Bruins in the playoffs... That's more than almost any Bruin defenseman in the entire playoffs this year (Carlo led with 20 GA, but 8 were on the PK).

It's not just the playoffs either... Rielly was on the ice for 92 goals against at even strength last year. Krug was on for 54, Carlo was on for just 33.

You can only find a handful of NHL defensemen who were on the ice for more even-strength goals against last year than Rielly, and most of them were on some terrible teams.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
his 10 career playoff points in 10 years are pretty forgettable. He plays for Toronto which is the only reason he gets discussed.

I mean he's only been to the playoffs 4 times because the leafs. And never made it past the first round so not a huge sample size.

10 points in 19 games. Compare that to his replacement Kerfoot. 5 points in 18 playoff games. Kerfoot had one more point in last years playoffs than Kadri. He played 10 more games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad