NHL: Around the League 44

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Not a fully fleshed out thought but...

The idea of "Skilled 4th liners" has been a mirage and I don't think the game is better by teams having a bunch of David Kampf types who can skate well and put up 20 points a year. I think it just gets in the way of talented players being able to shine. I don't like fighting in hockey very much (it's usually staged and boring) and I definitely don't want useless goons to start cheapshotting talent again. Maybe it'd be best for the league if 4th lines were filled out by young guys on ELC's learning the game.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Anyone else tired of hearing about the miracle on ice at this point? Jesus I think that’s the only tournament USA hockey has ever played in at this point.

The Miracle on Ice is like the '85 Bears to me. The players and coaches shouldn't have to pay for drinks at any bar they go to for the rest of their lives... but yeah, clinging onto that one moment of glory across the entire fanbase just reeks of desperation to me.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Could be nothing, but Gaudreau no longer has "Calgary Flames" listed in his social media bios.

Hoping he's just trolling to f*** with everyone haha.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Not a fully fleshed out thought but...

The idea of "Skilled 4th liners" has been a mirage and I don't think the game is better by teams having a bunch of David Kampf types who can skate well and put up 20 points a year. I think it just gets in the way of talented players being able to shine. I don't like fighting in hockey very much (it's usually staged and boring) and I definitely don't want useless goons to start cheapshotting talent again. Maybe it'd be best for the league if 4th lines were filled out by young guys on ELC's learning the game.

I think the idea of the 4th line is to provide decent play for limited minutes for as little cap investment as possible. Most 4th lines are providing responsible play defensively. The good ones some energy by flipping the ice and grinding along the boards. The best 4th lines are the ones with the "skilled 4th liners" and thats coz they can provide more production than your average Scotts and Desis. But im not sure its that much different from a standard Kruger anchored line for example, coz as you say its not a huge bump in production.

The shift has been going towards some more skill away from the heavy grinders right. But its still not at the expense of responsible play. Kampf is not the conservative heavy 4th liner but he is still so responsible and works his ass off. I think ELC guys would be liabilities in a role like this and theyre better served developing that part of their game in the A or just developing their offense and confidence.

If the ELC guy is responsible and works hard to win pucks, put him there ahead of the plugs by all means. Just not many are.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Jets win another. They now occupy one of the two wild card spots with 9 more points than us (admittedly we do have 2 games in hand). Just more reason to sell.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I think we just saw a preview of the Stanley Cup Finals between Tampa and Vegas.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
So ironic that the entire year everyone was talking about Toronto’s d being the problem. In a must win game for their playoff hopes they put up 2 goals on a 42 year old Zamboni driver and lost :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawksfly2gether

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Man signing Tavares really screwed that franchise. So much cap taken by three players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad