NHL: Around the League 44

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It's a really cool story but to be fair, imagine if Matthews potted like 7 goals or something and the Leafs won 12-2. Matthews likely wins the Ross because of that and a playoff bubble team gets a free win.

Reactions: d rake

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Is that their solution? That's stupid if true
I haven't actually seen anything from the league itself, but I believe that was Versteeg's take, that in the NFL if all your QBs get hurt you're not pulling someone out of the stands, you have a WR or someone that's the emergency QB.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I haven't actually seen anything from the league itself, but I believe that was Versteeg's take, that in the NFL if all your QBs get hurt you're not pulling someone out of the stands, you have a WR or someone that's the emergency QB.

I'm not sure when the emergency goalie rule was introduced but prior to that it was a skater who was the designated 3rd goalie. Is that a better way to handle it?
Personally I kinda like the stories of guys like Scott Foster and Ayres getting their 15 minutes of glory. It happens so rarely. Why not?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
My only issue with it is that the emergency goalie shouldn't be an employee of the opposing team. Because that just casts unnecessary suspicion.

So I think if you're the visiting team and you don't have an emergency option (though honestly, how hard would it be to scour the area for goalies and have a guy that watches the game from your bench/lockerroom just in each city? Hell you'd probably get volunteers knocking down your door) then use one of your skaters.

Reactions: Hawksfly2gether

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
My only issue with it is that the emergency goalie shouldn't be an employee of the opposing team. Because that just casts unnecessary suspicion.

So I think if you're the visiting team and you don't have an emergency option (though honestly, how hard would it be to scour the area for goalies and have a guy that watches the game from your bench/lockerroom just in each city? Hell you'd probably get volunteers knocking down your door) then use one of your skaters.
Riiight, the leagues pretty lucky it worked out the way it did. If he blows the lead to the organization that employs him thats kind of a tough look. Meatballs are already gunna meatball, theyd have a field day.

Apparently Haula went up to him at intermission and told him not to worry if he lets up 7 goals nobody is gunna blame him. Just go out there have some fun, enjoy the moment and we’ve all got your back. Thats a helluva move by a helluva guy.

Reactions: LDF

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I'm not sure when the emergency goalie rule was introduced but prior to that it was a skater who was the designated 3rd goalie. Is that a better way to handle it?
Personally I kinda like the stories of guys like Scott Foster and Ayres getting their 15 minutes of glory. It happens so rarely. Why not?
The rule goes back to Genesis.

Legendary story of Rangers coach Lester Patrick suiting up in 1928:
The day the coach played goalie

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Riiight, the leagues pretty lucky it worked out the way it did. If he blows the lead to the organization that employs him thats kind of a tough look. Meatballs are already gunna meatball, theyd have a field day.

Apparently Haula went up to him at intermission and told him not to worry if he lets up 7 goals nobody is gunna blame him. Just go out there have some fun, enjoy the moment and we’ve all got your back. Thats a helluva move by a helluva guy.
wow !!!! what a class act and what a speech ..... right up there with the great sports speeches.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It was a great story because the Leafs were shut down by an exceptional effort by the Canes in the third. Had the Canes been defeated by the Leafs piling it on in third, there could've been potential playoff ramifications that came from the designated Leafs emergency goalie being a dude on their payroll and who was well past his physical prime.

I see nothing wrong with mandating that emergency backups should be at least below a certain age or otherwise not on the team's payroll, especially in a market like Toronto where you can't swing a stick without hitting someone that played major junior hockey at least.

Reactions: LDF

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

You make them an employee of the league and your issue is solved.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
What do you guys think about the state of officiating in the NHL lately (past season or so to now)? Seems like a lot of public complaints are being made by players and coaches. Tippett being the latest in regards to an alleged soft call on McDavid last night that led to the Ducks winning. Tippett said the call was soft and McDavid has too many penalties committed against him that go uncalled.

I’m still in the “losers make excuses, winners overcome” camp but the refs do seem to be extra terrible the past year.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
What do you guys think about the state of officiating in the NHL lately (past season or so to now)? Seems like a lot of public complaints are being made by players and coaches. Tippett being the latest in regards to an alleged soft call on McDavid last night that led to the Ducks winning. Tippett said the call was soft and McDavid has too many penalties committed against him that go uncalled.

I’m still in the “losers make excuses, winners overcome” camp but the refs do seem to be extra terrible the past year.

It is terrible.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018

I mean even the other night I saw Quinn Hughes take a cross check from behind uncalled and it lead to a great scoring chance because he was shaken up and took him an extra second to get up. I think it’s a pretty bad look for the league when highly skilled guys are being obstructed by bottom 6 guys and it leads to scoring chances the other way. Need to let your stars shine.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
It's basically as bad as it has been since the obstruction crackdown. Missed obvious calls are as bad as they've been in years. Players don't know what is and isn't a penalty from game to game anymore.

Reactions: Crow

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Did you see the play? It was nowhere close to a penalty - it was in OT and against McDavid who gets hacked literally all game. If there was a penalty on the play, it was a dive and it cost Oilers a point. Similar to some of the phantom calls on Toews lately. The NHL officials need to have a summer school for a refresher course.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Did you see the play? It was nowhere close to a penalty - it was in OT and against McDavid who gets hacked literally all game. If there was a penalty on the play, it was a dive and it cost Oilers a point. Similar to some of the phantom calls on Toews lately. The NHL officials need to have a summer school for a refresher course.

I saw it. It was a weak call but McDavid was gassed at the end of an OT shift, impeded a guy who was going to get by him, the guy went down. Penalty.

Can’t complain about game management and missed calls if you still let things go in Overtime. McDavid or not. Previous missed calls on McDavid or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->