NHL 2020-2021 season start/schedule

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Does anybody think covid could delay Seattle's entry into the NHL for whatever reason?

Arena construction is still expected to be completed on time. Otherwise, don't see why Seattle would not start in 21-22 which will likely be delayed anyway should 20-21 end in July before Summer Olympics.

Reactions: Dave Ayers

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
And throw away that kind of money?
It isn't always about money, which in fact causes more problems than it solves.

The safety of everyone, including players plays a huge role too.

There has to be some consequence for playing during a non-traditional timeframe. The NHL has had to cancel an entire season before.

Plus isn't a pandemic worse than a lockout?

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Anybody that thinks NHL is playing less than 70 games with local and national TV contracts as well teams hoping to lose less money with some of fans in stands is fooling themselves. I could see NHL waiting till February-March if it means fans in stands for entire season. You would easily to a conference only schedule of 74 games where is

42 games in division (6 games against each division opponent)
32 games against teams in other teams in the conference (4 games against each other team within the conference)

That’s probably the best schedule NHL can have imo, obviously the Canadian border is a problem and Olympics would be an problem if SCF runs past mid-July. I think both issues can worked around especially it’s not a slam dunk Olympics happen for a myriad of reasons.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Anybody that thinks NHL is playing less than 70 games with local and national TV contracts as well teams hoping to lose less money with some of fans in stands is fooling themselves. I could see NHL waiting till February-March if it means fans in stands for entire season. You would easily to a conference only schedule of 74 games where is

42 games in division (6 games against each division opponent)
32 games against teams in other teams in the conference (4 games against each other team within the conference)

That’s probably the best schedule NHL can have imo, obviously the Canadian border is a problem and Olympics would be an problem if SCF runs past mid-July. I think both issues can worked around especially it’s not a slam dunk Olympics happen for a myriad of reasons.
The NHL isn't going to create a schedule and just hope the Olympics dont happen. That would be setting themselves up for a major disaster with NBC. They are going to make all of their plans with the assumption that the Olympics are going ahead as planned and will create a schedule based on that assumption. To do anything else is too big a risk for the NHL and their relationship with NBC. There isn't enough time to play a 70 game season with a full playoffs before the end of July, a 50-60 game schedule is more realistic.

Reactions: eddygee and LeHab

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
The NHL isn't going to create a schedule and just hope the Olympics dont happen. That would be setting themselves up for a major disaster with NBC. They are going to make all of their plans with the assumption that the Olympics are going ahead as planned and will create a schedule based on that assumption. To do anything else is too big a risk for the NHL and their relationship with NBC. There isn't enough time to play a 70 game season with a full playoffs before the end of July, a 50-60 game schedule is more realistic.

No business is that stupid and survives. Theyre gonna have a sked with the olympics, without olympics, partial olympics, sked with 80 games, 70 games, 60 games. Theyre gonna have a ton of skeds and discard or add more as more stuff happens and more things get known. When its time, NHL will pull one sked outta the hat and itll be the right one. Thats how a successful business plans and adjusts and survives. Otherwise u end up like Century21, Nieman, Penny, BrooksBro, etc.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

I never said that they would, I’m saying NHL will have around 70-74 game schedule Olympics or not, but that Olympics being cancelled would be very beneficial to them in terms of not cramming a schedule to end in mid-July. NHL is a business in the end of the day, even if they are playing games under %50 capacity, that along with TV contracts they lose less money that way then a shorter schedule. I agree 82 isn’t realistic, but doesn’t they are willing to cram at 70 imo.

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
No business is that stupid and survives. Theyre gonna have a sked with the olympics, without olympics, partial olympics, sked with 80 games, 70 games, 60 games. Theyre gonna have a ton of skeds and discard or add more as more stuff happens and more things get known. When its time, NHL will pull one sked outta the hat and itll be the right one. Thats how a successful business plans and adjusts and survives. Otherwise u end up like Century21, Nieman, Penny, BrooksBro, etc.

Though I doubt we see a full season, I do agree they will probably run several models ranging from 40 games and upwards.

Can't see it being as little as baseball ended up %-wise (37%) as they just don't have the benefit of a good TV contract.

Reactions: Venial Cyn

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It isn't always about money, which in fact causes more problems than it solves.

The safety of everyone, including players plays a huge role too.

There has to be some consequence for playing during a non-traditional timeframe. The NHL has had to cancel an entire season before.

Plus isn't a pandemic worse than a lockout?

And yet players have a right to earn a living and guess what loss season = players earn less. No way in world NBA throws away 3 billion dollars.

Reactions: rojac

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
And yet players have a right to earn a living and guess what loss season = players earn less. No way in world NBA throws away 3 billion dollars.

You probably mean NHL not NBA. Without fans they won't do more than 1.5 billion in revenue. That means they can only operate at a loss. They might still operate but don't bet on it.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I'm sure even if the season is lost the NBA and NHL would still allow players to be paid full salaries. Again, extenuating circumstances prevail.
The recently adjusted CBA allows for a fixed cap for a couple years with adjusted escrow due to the pandemic, but there is still a relationship between hockey revenue and salaries, and a season with no revenue is going to affect salaries. I haven't read the whole thing, and I haven't seen anyone else comment on any specific clauses about a cancelled season or reduced games, but they would have to follow the rules laid out in that agreement.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: Inside the tough, tense early days of NHL free agency

Friedman reports Canadian NHL teams considering relocating AHL franchises if necessary.
30. This depends on what happens with the border, but there is talk that Canadian-based NHL teams with U.S.-based AHL affiliates are considering moving them north of the 49th for the 2020–21 season. That’s Calgary/Stockton; Edmonton/Bakersfield; and Vancouver/Utica. It makes sense, because a quarantine period would mean you can’t call up players. Not sure if those teams would be based out of the NHL buildings or centralized, but it is something these three organizations must prepare for.

Would make sense with the border issue. Toronto/Toronto, Montreal/Laval, Winnipeg/Manitoba, Ottawa/Belleville already on the same side of the border.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
And from his bonus thoughts
During the pandemic pause, I read The Ride of a Lifetime by Disney CEO Robert Iger. It’s a great book and wholeheartedly recommended. Iger was preparing to retire and enjoy life, but felt a responsibility to lead his company through this point in time. There’s a comparison to be made with Commissioner Gary Bettman. At some point, you have to figure Bettman saw himself getting his last CBA done and, eventually, easing towards retirement. Now, like every other business leader, he (and Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly) are working hard to save their industry.

The duo just navigated through one impossible-looking challenge (a playoff bubble), which succeeded beyond expectation. But there’ll be zero rest as they try to figure out another.

Bettman announced at the draft that Jan. 1 is the new “target” for the start of the 2020–21 season. A few sources I’ve spoken to think Jan. 15 is a possibility. Vegas owner Bill Foley told the Las Vegas Review-Journal’s David Schoen he believes Feb. 1 is a more realistic goal, with a 48- or 56-game season. Foley added that T-Mobile Arena needs 40 per cent capacity “to be economically” viable.

This is going to be like herding cats because the challenges from market to market are going to be different. Some teams will care more about playing this year than others. Some teams will be able to have more fans than others. Bettman will want to play enough games to end the current U.S. TV deal and start the next one. The NHL and NHLPA have begun discussions on next season, but I think the challenges of preparing for the bubble will pale in comparison to those of preparing for next year. I do not envy this task.

Vegas is currently allowed 10% capacity for large (arena/stadium/theatre) venues as of October. It's a ways to go before they get to 40%.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
So a 48 game season+playoffs that runs from mid-Januaryish to late June? If the NHL plans to have a full (16 teams, best of 7 series') playoffs then the only realistic option is a 48 game season. That's probably for the best, would hurt short-term financially but that's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Round 1 of the 2020 playoffs (not the play-in) started on August 11th, the Lightning won the cup on September 28th. That's 48 days. If the NHL is aiming for a July 1st end date (Tokyo Olympics are slated to begin July 23rd) that means the playoffs would have to start May 14th 2021. So the NHL regular season would run from roughly January 15th (just a guess) till May 12th? That's 117 days or 16.7 weeks. That's roughly 3 games a week per team, which is doable IMO. If the NHL plans to extend the season until July 15th to allow more room for the playoffs then they could feasibly start early February as Foley mentioned. If the NHL wanted to do a 60 game season then teams would play 3-4 games a week, or a game every two days. Would be taxing but with the lack of travel due to divisional bubbles (or less travel) I think it's feasible as well.

Only issue then is lack of money from gate revenue, but I read somewhere that the NHL's TV contract could cover the loss of money from gate revenue in a shortened season. I'm not familiar with the TV contract itself so I don't know how true that is.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
We kind of already have the basis of how long a 48 game season from mid January would run based on 2013. Puck dropped on January 19th with the Cup being awarded June 24th (game 6). That was with more traditional playoff scheduling of 2 days off and such between games at points (happened in Cup Final) for TV. I think this is what the NHL would be aiming for. Not sure how much more they can condense the regular season given that season was already packed in a ton in terms of games.

I'd also like to think the NHL would want the playoffs wrapped up by July 1st for their initial schedule. You'd want to factor in 2-3 weeks of time at the end of the scheduled playoffs and before the Olympics start in case there's outbreaks and games need to be rescheduled and such. Having the initial schedule of everything run to mid July with no margin for error is a disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad