NHL 2020-2021 season start/schedule

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
General Motors says “hello”.

All their vehicles have been manufactured using the metric system of measurement for decades. Primarily out of necessity because many of their vehicles are comprised of parts out of multiple countries that use the metric system so rather than have their US based plants be the oddball they converted them.

So what may “suck” to some people in the US is a way of life just about everywhere else.

I dunno if that’s an island I’d want to be stuck on defending.

take a look at our road signs & let me know how speed limits & distances are calculated. We take great pride in telling the rest of the world to pound sand. Better still we can back it up.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
take a look at our road signs & let me know how speed limits & distances are calculated. We take great pride in telling the rest of the world to pound sand. Better still we can back it up.

Take a look at your analog speedometer. It has both mph and kph sets of numbers on it. Been that way for decades. There are road signs in the US that have both sets.

It's not just cars either.... I've been working on non-automotive specialized equipment from US companies for some 45 years and have to work with both standards, neither one is superior to the other

And save the flag waving. The US is not the number one at everything anymore. The metric system has been adopted in the US where it's been the most practical. Because it would be dead otherwise.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Take a look at your analog speedometer. It has both mph and kph sets of numbers on it. Been that way for decades. There are road signs in the US that have both sets.

It's not just cars either.... I've been working on non-automotive specialized equipment from US companies for some 45 years and have to work with both standards, neither one is superior to the other

And save the flag waving. The US is not the number one at everything anymore. The metric system has been adopted in the US where it's been the most practical. Because it would be dead otherwise.

Take the crown, then be the King. Not the other way around. Having two different measures on my speedometer is a nothing burger. My gas is in gallons & distances are measured in miles. Metric in the US is like soccer...nobody cares.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well, they said "there are the names for this year". Doesn't guarantee they will go back to the previous names next year. They might be sponsored by other companies next year.

and who says they actually have "division sponsors next year" there won't even be a north division next year.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
and who says they actually have "division sponsors next year" there won't even be a north division next year.

31 Thoughts podcast speculated on the POSSIBILITY that a Canadian division might continue. But pure speculation.

A lot will depend on how $$s/eyeballs/ears on this season go.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
They may not have sponsors next year. All I'm saying is the fact that they said these are the names "for this season", doesn't automatically mean they will go back to the previous names. They might, or they might go with the same sponsored names, or different sponsored names, or they might come up with entirely new names. If I were in thier shoes I wouldn't make any definite decisions about division names at this point. Why not wait until at least part way through this season to see what the reaction is, see what the TV ratings are, what the next TV contract might look like, have a better idea when restrictions on attendance and travel will be lifted, what potential naming rights might sell for in a more normal season, etc etc. No point in making anything "permanent" at this point with so much still unknown.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Barring injury, officials in Canada won't be crossing border. And to reduce travel, same officials may work 2-3 games in a row at same venue in US.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Barring injury, officials in Canada won't be crossing border. And to reduce travel, same officials may work 2-3 games in a row at same venue in US.

Oh boy that'll make for interesting hockey having home teams having to deal with the same official crew for multi games in a row.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Interesting "last minute" change to the usual LTIR planning this season is making the rounds on twitter. I'm hesitant to copy some of the links because I believe some are incorrect.

What it boils down to is it appears the NHL has made a minor tweak to the opening day roster rules. Any player who is listed on the opening day roster as of the end of training camp cannot be loaned until after the team's first game of the season. Or perhaps if they are loaned then the loan is treated as having happened in training camp, not the regular season, for cap calculations.

What does that mean? Often teams will shuffle players back and forth between the final day of training camp and first day of the season to maximize LTIR space. Regardless of whether that's a training camp LTIR or day 1 LTIR. Meaning we'd often see players listed on the opening day roster, but then loaned immediately on day 1 before any games are played.

This new rule wouldn't prevent these same LTIR maneuvers from happening. It could restrict the timing of them and cause some teams to play game 1 without their most optimal roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: nofehr

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Anyone has a link to Bettman today's press conference full video?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I've posted many details in the MOU thread, but if anyone has specific questions on how taxi squads, emergency recalls, covid lists, pro-rations, or other transition rules will work for this season I think I can answer most to all of them now.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
A player on the taxi squad being paid their AHL salary isn't going to be earning more then a NHL salary.

AHL salaries are 1/10 of NHL minimum.

Yup. We're talking at most a handful of players that fit that description. And some of them will get sent to the AHL rather then the taxi squad. C'est la vie.

It's just an interesting dynamic where a lot more than a handful of players would want to clear waivers to sit on the taxi squad on non-game days so they still get full NHL amenities, still play NHL games, and dodge escrow. It's a bit of a honey pot, but likely waivers keep it from being abused.

We are indeed seeing some unique situations of players trying to circumvent their waiver eligibility to go to the taxi squad:

Maple Leafs' Spezza will retire if claimed on waivers, agent says

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4