NHL 2020-2021 season start/schedule

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Despite rumours to the contrary, I’d be stunned if they do an 82 game season.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
VGK President Bubolz had zoom meeting with STH this afternoon.

He mentioned that NHL camp should start about November 17, with season starting December 1.

What I have heard is they want the regular season to begin on Black Friday ( November 27th) - NBC likes that slot

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
With the planned season start 66 games would be good amount to make the season end when it usually does.

One inter-conference game between teams, something like
Atlantic hosts Pacific
Metropolitan hosts Central
Central hosts Atlantic
Pacific hosts Metropolitan

Reactions: OddyOh

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Given the state of everything and what we are seeing from the league that is playing games in their home cities ( MLB )... I'm not convinced there even will be a next NHL season.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
I'm sure there will be a 20-21 season since there's enough TV money to make it worth their while. But I think playing in bubbles will be needed. Maybe they could play in 5 or 6 bubbles across Canada. Or better yet have 1 bubble per division based on where COVID is at its lowest.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I'm sure there will be a 20-21 season since there's enough TV money to make it worth their while. But I think playing in bubbles will be needed. Maybe they could play in 5 or 6 bubbles across Canada. Or better yet have 1 bubble per division based on where COVID is at its lowest.
I'm starting to change my mind about the origins of the novel Coronavirus. You Canadians have hatched a brilliantly devious plan to reel North American hockey back into Canada where it belongs. :thumbu:

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all

I've proposed bubbles based on what region of North America each team is from

Eastern - All American teams in Eastern Conference except Columbus and Detroit
Central - All American teams in Central Time Zone plus Columbus and Detroit
Western - All American teams in Mountain and Pacific Time Zones
Canadian - All Canadian teams

All bubbles would be in Canada. It would be the first NHL season to take place entirely in Canada since 1923-24.

Bettman may have to realize that 82 games is not realistic.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
I'm starting to change my mind about the origins of the novel Coronavirus. You Canadians have hatched a brilliantly devious plan to reel North American hockey back into Canada where it belongs. :thumbu:

Mwahhahahahah....

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax

All bubbles would be in Canada. It would be the first NHL season to take place entirely in Canada since 1923-24.

It always interested me that Ottawa wasn't considered for a bubble. With rink in Suburban rather than Urban core the players who hoteled near by would be better able to social distance, if they left their hotel rooms. But perhaps that's the point.

I'm also curious as to whether the players would even want an 82 game season. Without ticket revenue, they are in for a massive paycut so why bother with a full season.

Reactions: Rob

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It always interested me that Ottawa wasn't considered for a bubble. With rink in Suburban rather than Urban core the players who hoteled near by would be better able to social distance, if they left their hotel rooms. But perhaps that's the point.

I'm also curious as to whether the players would even want an 82 game season. Without ticket revenue, they are in for a massive paycut so why bother with a full season.

National TV deal $$ is reduced for playing less games.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It always interested me that Ottawa wasn't considered for a bubble. With rink in Suburban rather than Urban core the players who hoteled near by would be better able to social distance, if they left their hotel rooms. But perhaps that's the point..

Are there enough hotel rooms in Kanata? They have to use 2 hotels as is in Toronto and Edmonton. Otherwise then you have to have players stay 40 minutes away, which isn’t much of a bubble.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Are there enough hotel rooms in Kanata? They have to use 2 hotels as is in Toronto and Edmonton. Otherwise then you have to have players stay 40 minutes away, which isn’t much of a bubble.

I'm not sure how many hotel rooms would have been needed, but a quick check of google points to Holiday Inn and Homeward Suites just off the 417.

But again I don't know what the logistics were of getting the entire hotel.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

One thought it is to just have four locations in Canada - one for each division - where all the games are played with no inter-divisional games. Maybe adjust the conferences so that the location's team is in the division. Like if Montreal is the location for the Metro division, have them switch divisions with Carolina or Columbus.

Don't start out with a bubble. But if that becomes problematic, you can switch to a bubble.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I'm not sure how many hotel rooms would have been needed, but a quick check of google points to Holiday Inn and Homeward Suites just off the 417.

The NHL has a certain standard for hotels it stays at and those hotels don't meet the criteria. The only hotel west of downtown that does is the Brookstreet in north Kanata.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Is there money to be made playing 82 games with no fans in the stands and the barely any money from US tv, not mentioning the US/canada border is still close with blue jays having to play all their home games in the USA

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri

NHL teams dont stay in Holiday Inn...

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
If the NHL keeps up the testing regimen and is flexible about postponing games if they need to, I guess they could have a full 82 game season. Maybe add two weeks to the end of the season as flex time.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

A friend of mine mentioned he heard the NHL and NBA were considering bubbles to start next season. While I am sure they are considering it, I do not see it happening. 1) I do not think the players would agree to get bubbled for an entire season. Especially those with families. They could allow families in the bubble, but would be a problem with players with school-age children. 2) I do not think with the schedule it would be practical to use only 1 rink. They would need to be in areas with more than 1 NHL sized arena within a reasonable drive of the hotels. NYC area has MSG, Barclays (yeah right), Prudential, Nassau Coliseum. Not sure if Brendan Byrne (old Devils arena at the Meadowlands) could be used. Toronto has the Leafs arena and Ricoh, but not sure league would be ok with Ricoh. I guess you could use Staples and the Honda Center in LA/Anaheim. Any other areas that have similar set-ups? I think they would insist on NHL size rinks for the cameras. Every now and then I will get a daily pass for AHLtv and watch a few games and the camera angles are often terrible, same when I would watch some junior games on a certain site that gets edited out on here that is now defunct. I could be completely wrong, but I just don't see a bubble happening for a regular season.

Reactions: OddyOh

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Many schools and colleges are not "re-opening" physically, staying virtually. So, families could be kept together in a bubble.

But I just don't see the appetite for players to restart bubble life.

It's also crazy expensive (to league) to operate bubble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->