NHL 2020-2021 season start/schedule

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
If Gary didn't know 2 weeks ago ... couldnt Gary learn new facts and make conclusions and decisions over the course of 2 weeks ? If you didnt know what the forecast is for oct 10 last week than you think no way you can know it today? Makes no sense.

Trump recovered. Crisis over.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Can totally see a 48 game season which starts on Jan 15th and ends on May 15th then two months play off done by July 15 just in time for the Olympics on NBC

Reactions: yzerman

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Assuming we play a bit into mid July before the Olympics, I think it will be around 50-60 games.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
This has probably been mentioned but I can see this scenario:

3 divisions of 8 American Based Teams
1 division of 7 Canadian Based Teams

Canadian Teams play their division rivals 7 times (6 x 7 games = 42 games)
American Teams play their division rivals 6 times (7 x 6 games = 42 games)

This gives everyone half a season and no border crossing required. Travel costs could be reduced by playing back to back in the the same city, eg Montreal plays Vancouver twice in the same weekend.

This allows for the regular season to go from January through March. Playoffs could take place in April and May with space left in June in case a break in the schedule is needed. If if the league is feeling brave they could play additional games in December across the border and then pencil in a 2 week break for when Canadian Teams get across. However I think the 14 day quarentine makes playing without fans in the stands unprofitable.

Reactions: Jaffray15

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@ColinM

Sounds like a decent idea.

With NHLPA already agreed to giving up 10% roll back and 20% escrow (total 30%), are the players getting 70% (gross) of their salaries or only 50%?

Reactions: ColinM

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
So with Jan 1st a likely start I reckon we'll see around 60 games if they go Jan - April for RS.

If they went Jan - May they could do 82 games but would be tight.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
So with Jan 1st a likely start I reckon we'll see around 60 games if they go Jan - April for RS.

If they went Jan - May they could do 82 games but would be tight.

60 is possible but I wonder about saturating the TV inventory. NBC SN and Sportsnet can only show so many NHL games an evening. I guess it would also depend on how many teams could play on back to back nights.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
60 is possible but I wonder about saturating the TV inventory. NBC SN and Sportsnet can only show so many NHL games an evening. I guess it would also depend on how many teams could play on back to back nights.

Not every game is available nationally (excluding those who watch on NHL.tv, Center Ice, etc.). As long as the REGIONAL carriers have the space, shouldn't be an issue.

I can see 6 games/week nationally in US (rather than 3-4).

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
Sportsnet has like 5 channels plus CBC to show games on.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Did you think the same about the 2020 Return To Play? I did. The disappointment continues.

They could do that again no problem. Except they won't.

The Jets could play with 10 fans. That might not pay the bills. Or the ticket price will have to go up at least double.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
"Following discussions with the NHL Players' Association and based on what we have learned and what we know and what we even still don't know, I can say that we are now focused on a Jan. 1 start for next season," said Bettman.

“Our game draws its energy, our players draw their energy off the best fans in all of sports,” said Bettman last week. That's a vital component of hockey — the playoffs just weren't the same without the buzz and roar of the crowd — but it's also a vital component of the NHL's financial health.

In-person attendance impacts 50 percent of league revenues, according to Bettman, so they won't be able to play without fans in seats for the entire season.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It is a joke. They are postponing the season´s start all the time, like the Champions Hockey League and German DEL. I would expect a more serious approach by an NHL level league.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@vorky they are postponing as the projections for being about to safely have 50%+ fans in the stands is not likely before the calendar turns.

Las Vegas is now allowing 10% (~2000) fans in T-Mobile Arena as of last week. It's a start, but a ways to go to even get to 50%. (March - 10 folks max in a group. May - 50 folks in group. October - 250 folks in group or 10% for large venues)

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
@vorky they are postponing as the projections for being about to safely have 50%+ fans in the stands is not likely before the calendar turns.

Las Vegas is now allowing 10% (~2000) fans in T-Mobile Arena as of last week. It's a start, but a ways to go to even get to 50%. (March - 10 folks max in a group. May - 50 folks in group. October - 250 folks in group or 10% for large venues)

Everyone says that ice hockey is a gate driven league but theres gotta be a chunk of each teams income that comes from tv rights. So suppose 5 options: Play the season without fans, play it with 10% fans, or 20% fans, or with 50% fans, or dont play a season at all. Which one of those would meet contract requirements with tv and at the same time cause the smallest financial loss ?

Some of u guys have probably calculated this already, thx.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Everyone says that ice hockey is a gate driven league but theres gotta be a chunk of each teams income that comes from tv rights. So suppose 5 options: Play the season without fans, play it with 10% fans, or 20% fans, or with 50% fans, or dont play a season at all. Which one of those would meet contract requirements with tv and at the same time cause the smallest financial loss ?

Some of u guys have probably calculated this already, thx.
Simply, the NHL´s financial model is too dependant on gate revenue, which is not that healthy. Look at big European soccer league in England, Germany, Spain, Italy, the UEFA CL/Europa League - if I know, all have fans restrictions but plays. All major European hockey league are playing, expect Germany. The KHL said in March that their new season will start on Sept 2 regardless of restrictions, and they started and are playing without any problems. That is a strong & dedicated approach.

Yeah, I understand the money-losing argument. But it is the duty of an owner to run his club. If he does not have money, he should sell the club to a more wealthy person.

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
If they actually start Jan 1st, doubt they play anywhere near 82 games.

Maybe we see something like ColinM's 42 game proposal due to travel restrictions or something in the 48 game range we have seen in lockout shortened years. Might only be able to do divisional opponents during the RS which isn't great but better than nothing.

Probably would mean some temporary division alignmemnts (All Canada, US West, Central and East).

If quarantine rules are still in place by next Spring, maybe they do a 2-3 week break right after the shortened RS to get teams into some designated playoff bubbles.

Would highly expect them to have expanded rosters and sizeable taxi squads. Call ups having to wait up to 3 weeks to play isn't ideal.

For playoffs, I would go first 2 rounds in divisions and then re-seed for SCSF.

Would probably take things into June before the Summer Olympics.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Why is this system not healthy? Just asking.
Generally speaking, if you are too dependant on gate revenues, you have a big problem in such times as now (COVID). Paradoxically the KHL has been a winner in the COVID pandemic while the AHL & DEL being the biggest victims so far.

Another big issue is the owners and their responsibility. Instead of searching for money in their wallet, they demand money from the governments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad