NHL 2020-2021 season start/schedule

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
I doubt, the NHL season starts any time soon. Look at the KHL, team after team after team are losing players to COVID, and I doubt, it'll be any different in the NHL. KHL teams can substitute ill players with VHLers and MHLers, but I doubt, NHL teams will be able to do the same, considering the AHL season is probably not going to happen.

Baseball just finished up a 60 game schedule. Several teams had covid outbreaks but the majority of teams did not. I think the nhl teams are going to have to carry extra players on the active list in case of a positive test. The real saviour to baseball is the ability to play double headers where the outbreaks did not make the season last a whole bunch of extra days.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Baseball just finished up a 60 game schedule. Several teams had covid outbreaks but the majority of teams did not. I think the nhl teams are going to have to carry extra players on the active list in case of a positive test. The real saviour to baseball is the ability to play double headers where the outbreaks did not make the season last a whole bunch of extra days.

Another factor is that a lot of MLB players act like spoiled brats who don't think they should have to take any extra precautions in their lives to make sure they can perform their jobs. I think NHL players would handle that part of it much better. Hell, even NFL players so far have done good.

The biggest hurdle with the NHL for starting next season is being able to sell tickets. They don't have mega TV deals like the NFL and MLB, who could play in empty stadiums indefinitely and not suffer much of a loss. There are NHL teams who would lose money if they played without fans in arenas.

Furkmyster

May 5, 2007
Manitoba
The Canadian/US border closure will be the biggest hurdle to starting next season. When that opens up, we will likely be at a stage where buildings can have fans again, until then, I have my doubts. No way the players will want to be in various bubbles for the next 6-7 months to play a regular season.

Reactions: Stumbledore

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Another factor is that a lot of MLB players act like spoiled brats who don't think they should have to take any extra precautions in their lives to make sure they can perform their jobs. I think NHL players would handle that part of it much better. Hell, even NFL players so far have done good.

The biggest hurdle with the NHL for starting next season is being able to sell tickets. They don't have mega TV deals like the NFL and MLB, who could play in empty stadiums indefinitely and not suffer much of a loss. There are NHL teams who would lose money if they played without fans in arenas.
Guessing every NHL club has an owner, so it is the responsibility of the owner to finance his team. They are wealthy enough to survive a few months.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Guessing every NHL club has an owner, so it is the responsibility of the owner to finance his team. They are wealthy enough to survive a few months.

Okay, but that's not how owners think, and that's not how it's going to happen if they cannot sell many tickets.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada

Baseball also is less straining on the body unless you are either a pitcher or catcher. There is hardly anybody contact and not a constant speed game. You also get longer breaks in between your shifts and the equipment is much lighter. Players can even leave the bench for short breaks when not defending on the field. They also have a much bigger bench so if someone is tired or not playing well they can get replaced. Hockey players seldom get that kind of break.

As far as the infection breakout chance I agree probably does not change that much from one sport to another because the infection between players interacting on the bench and in the locker room will be quite similar.

Should bubble not used to protect the players, I think NHL needs to address the biggest concern for players either themself or have wife or kids already with serious pre-existing health conditions who if infected may suffer badly, die, or suffering from ongoing slow recovery. These players most likely will opt-out playing for the season unless they can be tested twice a day each game/practice day and have a good isolation arrangement available immediately both on the road and at home.

Most players are responsible people and will take precautions to avoid risky behaviors that may expose themselves to the virus. Most of them have close friends on the team and the last thing they want is to be responsible for harming their teammates and their families. There may a few exceptions but if they are doing anything risky, I am sure that the teammates and coaches will quickly find out and correct these behaviors.

I still think the biggest issue is the Canadian-USA border nonessential travel policy and I do not think that realistically the Canadian government can make special exemptions for hockey players without loosening the restriction for other non-essential businesses travelers and families that have been separated by the border especially when there is no bubble to restrict the player's activities. Maybe the only way they can get around to do this is to have the players from USA teams located in high infection rate cities signed off legal documents making them liable to pay large fines should they get caught breaking strict protocols during their stay in Canadian cities that may lead to undesirable consequences such as holding or participate in large private parties (as in the case of superspreader). On top of that NHL can also police their own by posing severe suspensions and team fines for not supervising their players properly.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The Canadian/US border closure will be the biggest hurdle to starting next season. When that opens up, we will likely be at a stage where buildings can have fans again, until then, I have my doubts. No way the players will want to be in various bubbles for the next 6-7 months to play a regular season.

I’m going to slightly disagree and say the biggest hurdle is fans in the arenas.

If fans are barred or heavily limited in arenas then the border issue becomes at best a secondary problem. The NHL economy is driven by gate revenue.

I do agree bubbles for a regular season aren’t an option.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m going to slightly disagree and say the biggest hurdle is fans in the arenas.

If fans are barred or heavily limited in arenas then the border issue becomes at best a secondary problem. The NHL economy is driven by gate revenue.

I do agree bubbles for a regular season aren’t an option.
I agree, that the NHL needs fans in the stands and not just 4-5K of them. I doubt the ones who would go to the game are sitting in club seats.

NHL TV money is nothing compared to the NBA. NHL gets like $600 mill per season from Rogers and NBC. That is $20 mill per team. Contrast to the NBA which got $24 billion over 9 years for their TV rights. So, they are doing $2.67 billion per year. Around $90 million per team. That is more than the NHL salary cap in TV money alone.

I want to be optimistic, but it's a long ways away from normal for the NHL. If you have a salary of $5 mill next season, it's going to be a shortened season, so around 1/3 gone right there. Followed by 20% Escrow and 10% deferral. Prorated season means salary drops to $3.33 million less Escrow and salary deferral for another $1 mill. $2.33 mill before taxes. So, you come away with what like $1.25 million or something after a 50 or so game season and playoffs?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Nevada just increased # of folks allowed to gather from 50 to 250. (And in large venues, such as T-Mobile, up to 10% of capacity.)

(With social distancing too)

(Increased from 10->50 in May.)

A ways to go before even 25% of capacity could be filled.

(My guess is that most teams need 50%+ before they can cover most costs.)

Reactions: Stumbledore

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm in the camp that no fans on the stands is the biggest challenge. The economics of a season without gate revenue seem very tenuous.

Even if the league can convince local authorities to allow it in some markets (and I definitely do not want my elected officials prioritizing NHL hockey over much more important things), there's no guarantee it will stay. If cases surge, you're back to being shut down again.

That said, the NHL doesn't have to make money this year. They just need to lose less playing than not playing (and even then, a slightly greater loss playing may still be worth it just to stay relevant).

Reactions: yzerman

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
I think soon we will start seeing things about partial attendance in hockey arenas. It seems that NFL teams are being allowed to hold a limited capacity of fans and MLB is gonna have limited fans for at least the world series and i believe the LDS as well.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I want to be optimistic, but it's a long ways away from normal for the NHL. If you have a salary of $5 mill next season, it's going to be a shortened season, so around 1/3 gone right there. Followed by 20% Escrow and 10% deferral. Prorated season means salary drops to $3.33 million less Escrow and salary deferral for another $1 mill. $2.33 mill before taxes. So, you come away with what like $1.25 million or something after a 50 or so game season and playoffs?
Thanks for doing that math. You've now convinced me I ain't signing for less than $20M base annual salary.

Reactions: Venial Cyn

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
That's flat out wrong. And it's not even close to what Bettman said. If Gary didn't know 2 weeks ago when the season might start then he can't possibly know it today.

If Gary didn't know 2 weeks ago ... couldnt Gary learn new facts and make conclusions and decisions over the course of 2 weeks ? If you didnt know what the forecast is for oct 10 last week than you think no way you can know it today? Makes no sense.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
That's flat out wrong. And it's not even close to what Bettman said. If Gary didn't know 2 weeks ago when the season might start then he can't possibly know it today.
The tweet says players were told to be prepared for camp to start on Nov 15. Could just be the team just being proactive and telling players essentially "if you have something you need to do, get it done by mid November, because we don't know when we are starting, but we don't want to be delayed starting camp because you guys aren't ready to go"

Reactions: yzerman

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3