NHL 2020-2021 season start/schedule

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

And yet, the ECHL has a bunch of player transactions.

If this "the NHL/NHLPA paying close attention to how other hockey leagues around the world" is true. Then they should look at the KHL, which is coping with the COVID the best of all hockey leagues in the globe.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA

And yet, the ECHL has a bunch of player transactions.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that. The teams that opted out last week were signing players up to the day before they opted out. Those players are now free agents for this season, and the teams that intend to play in December are signing some of those players. All ECHL contracts are day to day anyway, so they can cut those players during or after camp if the season starts, or declare them all free agents if the team opts out or the season is cancelled at any point.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
When is the Allan Walsh picture coming out with a sword in Donald Fehr, like the MAF one he did ( which should of been fined for at least imo)

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

NHLPA is considering crying foul and filing a unfair business practice if the NHL cancels the 20-21 season... And i thought it was within the CBA that the NHLPA agreed to that allowed the NHL to cancel a season?

And i think given the virus mess, the NHL should be allowed to cancel a season since this isn't your typical labor dispute.

Last edited:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

NHLPA is considering crying foul and filing a unfair business practice if the NHL cancels the 20-21 season... And i thought it was within the CBA that the NHLPA agreed to that allowed the NHL to cancel a season?

And i think given the virus mess, the NHL should be allowed to cancel a season since this isn't your typical labor dispute.

The crux of the PA's argument is the league cannot implement a lockout during the CBA.

I don't see how cancelling the season is the same as a lockout.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Outside counsel for the NHL or NHLPA is the best gig if you can get it. Millions in billables every year like clockwork.

Reactions: nofehr

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Both the NHL and NHLPA could argue that the language in the CBA favours its side.

Article 5 of the CBA says the league is within its rights, “to determine when, where, how and under what circumstances it wishes to operate, suspend. ...” a season.

Article 7, however, says the NHL cannot lock out players.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Both the NHL and NHLPA could argue that the language in the CBA favours its side.

Article 5 of the CBA says the league is within its rights, “to determine when, where, how and under what circumstances it wishes to operate, suspend. ...” a season.

Of course "lockout" isn't a defined term in the CBA, because why ever. Here comes the battle of the dictionaries.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Of course "lockout" isn't a defined term in the CBA, because why ever. Here comes the battle of the dictionaries.

The issue is the players may argue that cancel season due to the virus mess = lockout.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
How can owners say they want to cancel the season because of the pandemic yet those same owners will have a basketball team playing games

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
This is getting really interesting now.
Labor disputes.
Possible cancelled season, and maybe court hearings about it.
Lots of lost money.
Could it be that the league and the players will yet kill the goose that laid the golden egg?

Only the NHL could find a way to mess this up so bad.

I blame the owners in the first place for not having foresight enough last summer to realize that their hopes of the future didn't merit the kind of CBA extension they signed.

Then, I would blame the players for not realizing that if they demand a full season's salary, they will bankrupt a few teams.

Isn't money greed a great thing to watch?? (popcorn)

Reactions: Mightygoose

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
This is getting really interesting now.
Labor disputes.
Possible cancelled season, and maybe court hearings about it.
Lots of lost money.
Could it be that the league and the players will yet kill the goose that laid the golden egg?

Only the NHL could find a way to mess this up so bad.

I blame the owners in the first place for not having foresight enough last summer to realize that their hopes of the future didn't merit the kind of CBA extension they signed.

Then, I would blame the players for not realizing that if they demand a full season's salary, they will bankrupt a few teams.

Isn't money greed a great thing to watch?? (popcorn)

Don't blame this all on the NHL and that the the nhl will be forced to pay a full season in a middle of a virus mus and its the doom and gloom of the NHL...

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Making things more complicated is Article 5 and section 17 of the player contracts make it clear individual teams might elect to suspend operations even if the league as a whole doesn’t.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Don't blame this all on the NHL and that the the nhl will be forced to pay a full season in a middle of a virus mus and its the doom and gloom of the NHL...

Hey,
I blame the whole thing on the virus.

I'm just saying that the BOG was not very wise in signing that CBA extension.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

Good to see insights from outside/more impartial lawyers. Thanks for sharing.

Current drama is not unexpected, all part of negotiation tactics. Things will turn out just fine have no worries. Meanwhile enjoy that soap opera.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3