NHL 2020-2021 season start/schedule

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
So Wheres Edmonton going? Red deer? Is San Jose renovations done?

SAP Center renovation doing well. IIRC cement floor should be cured enough to use in December. But with county restrictions for the next 3 weeks, camp won't be able to be held at home facilities. No announcements as to where things will happen.

Making more sense to push out

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
985B8745-DCF8-444A-A2B4-083CDC3DE534.jpeg

Easy money

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Isnt it pretty much a given that jan 1 is not happening

No deal, players will have to report, quarantine, training camp, pre season games holiday break......

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
You cant push the start that much further then Febuary if you want something that ressembles a season and normal playoffs before the Olympics.

The 2012-2013 strike-shortened season that began on January 16 should be the objective of a well done short 48 game season.

But as time moves further and further along... when you take into account the COVID-problem making everything take longer (and risk delay at any time)... time is really running short.

You cant start something anyone could honestly call a season in... say march!

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You cant push the start that much further then Febuary if you want something that ressembles a season and normal playoffs before the Olympics.

The 2012-2013 strike-shortened season that began on January 16 should be the objective of a well done short 48 game season.

But as time moves further and further along... when you take into account the COVID-problem making everything take longer (and risk delay at any time)... time is really running short.

You cant start something anyone could honestly call a season in... say march!

Good point, might need a week or 2 at end of schedule for makeup games.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Why can't they take a break for 2 weeks and then restart the season after the Olympics?

Because then you need to push back the 2021-2022 season start. And (hopefully) since it'll be a real normal season with butts in seats, the NHL wants to get there ASAP.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Cancellation legalese

That's interesting. I can see the owners' problems with revenue fall out, but they were maybe a little too optimistic about the pandemic situation at the outset thinking that it would only be a few months bump in the road.. Or a little too naive about how entitled us Americans can get.

Last edited:
Reactions: cutchemist42

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Response to Walsh

honestly this kind of finger pointing really pisses me off. i find it really hard to empathise with the players given the league is giving them an interest free loan on their salaries, and when other respected player reps point fingers like this it makes it even harder.

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
honestly this kind of finger pointing really pisses me off. i find it really hard to empathise with the players given the league is giving them an interest free loan on their salaries, and when other respected player reps point fingers like this it makes it even harder.

I think you mean that teams paid out bonuses they were contractually and legally obligated to.

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad