NHL 2020-2021 season start/schedule

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I don't know what quarantine involves exactly. I've been locked in my apartent by myself for 15 days now. I went to the lobby once to check the mail and take out the garbage. I think I broke quarantine.

What do you think the players are doing for 2 weeks. Is Xmas dinner with your family quarantine?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I don't know what quarantine involves exactly. I've been locked in my apartent by myself for 15 days now. I went to the lobby once to check the mail and take out the garbage. I think I broke quarantine.

What do you think the players are doing for 2 weeks. Is Xmas dinner with your family quarantine?

Generally you can stay within your household if there are no high-risk individual, but you can't have visitors.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
The European players need 2 weeks to quarantine, the American players who play in Canada need 2 weeks quarantine, Canadian players going to certain US markets need 2 weeks quarantine, if this doesn't start until after Christmas, then late January or February first is the earliest start date,
Unless you tell those players no Christmas for you.

How exactly will they not have Christmas? They can quarantine with their families. A larger group than that is not be advisable anyhow.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
How exactly will they not have Christmas? They can quarantine with their families. A larger group than that is not be advisable anyhow.

I’ve explained it twice, how do they start on January 15, Player X , flies to Calgary from the US, December 27th, quarantines for 14 days, that’s now January 10 before he can join teammates, or start skating again.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I’ve explained it twice, how do they start on January 15, Player X , flies to Calgary from the US, December 27th, quarantines for 14 days, that’s now January 10 before he can join teammates, or start skating again.

No, player X (and family) flies to US on December 15 or so, quarantines 14 days with family (wife, kids), celebrates Christmas. Ready for camp January 1.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

They don't need to wait until Dec 27th to quarantine. They can fly with their families as soon as a plan is put in place and quarantine over Christmas.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They don't need to wait until Dec 27th to quarantine. They can fly with their families as soon as a plan is put in place and quarantine over Christmas.

Ya that would work, but with a short season and kids in school , I can see a lot of families this year staying home. That's their choice I guess.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
Anybody have any idea on rules there may be pertaining to a potential taxi squad, relating to the cap?

Can team "X" simply bury a player on the taxi-squad to become cap compliant?
(I realize to eventually activate said player, they would need to make the numbers work)

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014

Is the NHL paying for it? My family is 25 people. Maybe some NHL players have large families and they don't have restictions about getting together where they live. Maybe it's not a problem but I wouldn't bet on it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Anybody have any idea on rules there may be pertaining to a potential taxi squad, relating to the cap?

(I realize to eventually activate said player, they would need to make the numbers work)

As of now the normal cap rules and callups are in place like every previous year. Nothing different has been agreed to.

Reactions: Ciao

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Is the NHL paying for it? My family is 25 people. Maybe some NHL players have large families and they don't have restictions about getting together where they live. Maybe it's not a problem but I wouldn't bet on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were similar opt-out options for players as in playoffs. At which point this case is likely rare enough that players can just choose to opt out of the whole season or report partway through if that's what they really prefer. I doubt there would be any opt outs though. More likely players spend time with distant family/cousins/aunts/uncles/parents (if allowed) before they leave for camp, then be able to spend christmas with their wives/kids in quarantine.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

Which NHLer has 23 kids?

If this means that extended families cannot spend xmas together, they shouldn't be this year anyhow, especially if some of them are elderly.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

As of now the normal cap rules and callups are in place like every previous year. Nothing different has been agreed to.

True. But my guess is they may limit the taxi squad to players on ELS deals and/or those with NHL contract values under $1m. (THerefore, you couldn't bury contract on taxi squad and get the $925k cap relief.)

Some teams won't need a taxi squad (San Jose, Vegas/Henderson, Winnipeg/Manitoba, Toronto, Montreal/Laval all have their farm teams close enough they won't need a taxi squad, realistically).

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
We have seven kids and five grandchildren, and large extended families beyond that. My wife is one of nine; I'm one of six.

We will all be sticking to our immediate households at Christmas. None of the large gatherings we usually holds, due to public health risks.

I don't see any reason for anyone to have 25 people at a Christmas gathering.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
True. But my guess is they may limit the taxi squad to players on ELS deals and/or those with NHL contract values under $1m. (THerefore, you couldn't bury contract on taxi squad and get the $925k cap relief.)

Some teams won't need a taxi squad (San Jose, Vegas/Henderson, Winnipeg/Manitoba, Toronto, Montreal/Laval all have their farm teams close enough they won't need a taxi squad, realistically).
It could be something as simple as using the normal assignment/callup/waiver rules, but the players don't actually have to report to the AHL team, and they can practice with the NHL team. Doesn't seem that complicated. All the salary cap rules and such are unchanged, the player just isn't required to report to the AHL team, even though they are technically on the AHL roster.

They will have to do something - considering they are currently talking about a mid January season start for the NHL and a February start for the AHL. They would need to make some type of accomodation, at least temporarily, for those players who are sent down, but the AHL team isn't operating and the facilities are closed.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad