Prospect Info: NHL 2017 Entry Draft - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
Dax and other's who are low on Hague, I'm wondering if you can provide some context as to the reasons why. I get that picking another tall defenseman brings up thoughts of Logan Stanley and to some indicates a trend in draft strategy that people don't like but I don't think it's fair to paint the two with the same brush.

To me, Hague has shown he can productive offensively, leading OHL draft eligible defenseman in goals and second among 1st year draft eligible Dmen in points (in the OHL). He put up shots at an elite level and while some may disagree I think that his skating and decision making are adequate for a player in the late first range, especially when you consider that his skating is considered the weak point in his game by detractors.

I wouldn't like it for the Jets to trend towards always targeting massive defenseman but there is sufficient evidence of some correlation between size and success in the NHL (even if NHL GM's overestimate the extent of that correlation). When you put into play that Hague has offensive production consistent with a draft position in the late first and as a topper he's big and physical, I don't understand the hate.

I think it's possible to dislike the idea of the Jets focusing on drafting large Dmen and still think that Hague is a reasonable pick at 24.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Here are the rest of their picks:

1. NJ: Nico Hischier
2. Philly: Nolan Patrick
3. Vegas (traded from Dallas): Nick Suzuki
4. Colorado: Cale Makar
5. Vancouver: Kailer Yamamoto
6. Dallas (traded from Vegas): Casey Middlestat
7. Arizona: Ryan Poehling
8. Buffalo: Miro Heiskanen
9. Detroit: Klim Kostin
10. Florida: Gabe Vilardi
11. Los Angeles: Cody Glass
12. Carolina: Owen Tippett
13. Winnipeg: Kole Lind
14. Tampa Bay: Timothy Liljegren
15. Vegas (Traded from Islanders): Eeli Tolvanen
16. Calgary: Michael Rasmussen
17. Toronto: Keith Petruzzelli
18. Boston: Elias Pettersson
19. San Jose: Kristian Vesalainen
20. St. Louis: Martin Necas
21. Rangers: Jaret Anderson-Dolan
22. Edmonton: Cal Foote
23. Arizona: Jonah Gadjovich
24. Vegas (Traded from Columbus): Juuso Valimaki
25. Montreal: Pierre-Olivier Joseph
26. Chicago: Lias Andersson
27. St. Louis: Ostap Safin
28. Ottawa: Nic Hague
29. Dallas: Robert Thomas
30. Nashville: Erik Brannstrom
31. Pittsburgh: Morgan Frost

:laugh: So, according to these guys we still get Valimaki. Hope they are right. That would be hilarious. :laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
My goals for Chevy this offseason was to see him get a goalie+top4 -prospect. I believe the team would have been in great shape after that.

With the 24th I guess I'm looking at Vaakanainen/Jokiharju/Bransstrom now. Don't know the other D-prospect in that range so well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Dax and other's who are low on Hague, I'm wondering if you can provide some context as to the reasons why. I get that picking another tall defenseman brings up thoughts of Logan Stanley and to some indicates a trend in draft strategy that people don't like but I don't think it's fair to paint the two with the same brush.

To me, Hague has shown he can productive offensively, leading OHL draft eligible defenseman in goals and second among 1st year draft eligible Dmen in points (in the OHL). He put up shots at an elite level and while some may disagree I think that his skating and decision making are adequate for a player in the late first range, especially when you consider that his skating is considered the weak point in his game by detractors.

I wouldn't like it for the Jets to trend towards always targeting massive defenseman but there is sufficient evidence of some correlation between size and success in the NHL (even if NHL GM's overestimate the extent of that correlation). When you put into play that Hague has offensive production consistent with a draft position in the late first and as a topper he's big and physical, I don't understand the hate.

I think it's possible to dislike the idea of the Jets focusing on drafting large Dmen and still think that Hague is a reasonable pick at 24.

Good post.

Hague is a very different prospect than Stanley.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
True. If I recall though, Hague was a big PP producer and 5v5 primary scoring wasn't as impressive?

Back end of first is fine though.

Not really. 6 of 18 goals on PP, and 16 of 46 points on the PP. I think he was 3rd among OHL D in even strength goals.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Okay, revving up for the draft...

I am officially on the Brannstrom and Vaakanainen bandwagons. Anyone else?

Swiftt

Jul 3, 2016
Winnipeg

Can someone give me a quick scouting report on these two? Seems like they are both projected to go around our new pick. Vaakanainen with only 6 points in 41 games really doesn't look as impressive as Braanstrom's 23 points in 19 games. I understand they played in different leagues. Is one a more defensive defenceman and one more offensive minded?

Which would we rather have?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Can someone give me a quick scouting report on these two? Seems like they are both projected to go around our new pick. Vaakanainen with only 6 points in 41 games really doesn't look as impressive as Braanstrom's 23 points in 19 games. I understand they played in different leagues. Is one a more defensive defenceman and one more offensive minded?

Which would we rather have?

A couple of good scouting summaries:

https://jetsnation.ca/2017/06/07/nation-network-prospect-profile-23-erik-brannstrom/

https://flamesnation.ca/2017/06/04/nation-network-2017-prospect-profile-31-urho-vaakanainen/

McKenzie has Vaakanainen ranked at #22 overall.

Hockeyprospect.com has Vaakanainen ranked at #11 overall, for what it's worth. Shows how topsy-turvy the 1st round might be.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

"Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbour,Hell no!!"

I am with you Whileee either one of those guys would put a smile on my face. Yes when 13 rolls around tomorrow night I am going to be bummed if someone amazing falls to us (Glass, Petterrson etc) but short of that we should be able to get a very tidy asset at #24.

So my wish list A) flip #24 for Raanta or B) pick up one of those very good D prospects. There are also some high end forwards that might be there too. All in all this is not too bad.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Hague is also apparently a really good character guy.

I bet he doesn't last until #24.

If he does, he'd be okay.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
By the way, Garret ranked Hague at #19.

Here's a snippet...

"Using the SEAL scoring model, Hague was the sixth most productive first-time NHL draft eligible defender.

Another positive signal of future success was that Hague produced elite shot production numbers while consistently line matching against the other team’s best."

https://jetsnation.ca/2017/06/09/nation-network-2017-prospect-profile-19-nicolas-hague/

On Conor Timmins who Bobby Mac says will go in that range:

Timmins scored more at 5-on-5 than draft class compatriot Nicolas Hague despite lower level QoT and higher level QoC.

https://jetsnation.ca/2017/06/01/nation-network-2017-prospect-profiles-39-conor-timmins/

Reads like the kind of jack of all trades D man that the Jets have taken in the past. The Morrissey / Trouba type.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A couple of good scouting summaries:

https://jetsnation.ca/2017/06/07/nation-network-prospect-profile-23-erik-brannstrom/

https://flamesnation.ca/2017/06/04/nation-network-2017-prospect-profile-31-urho-vaakanainen/

McKenzie has Vaakanainen ranked at #22 overall.

Hockeyprospect.com has Vaakanainen ranked at #11 overall, for what it's worth. Shows how topsy-turvy the 1st round might be.

Yea if you look at the comments by "all" the scouts in the Black Book on Vaakanainen it can't help but leave you excited about that option. I love D men that have really high IQ's and he fits that bill.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yea if you look at the comments by "all" the scouts in the Black Book on Vaakanainen it can't help but leave you excited about that option. I love D men that have really high IQ's and he fits that bill.

Vaakanainen would make me very happy. Might prefer him to Valimaki, all things considered. I posted something like that a couple of weeks ago, and suggested that maybe the Jets should trade back and target players like Vaakanainen and Brannstrom and even Thomas (who I really like).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That "stats geek" Garret had Valimaki at #16 and Hague at #19. Does that mean that if we select Hague instead of Valimaki we only lost the value of 3 draft pick slots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad