Prospect Info: NHL 2017 Entry Draft - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Okay, revving up for the draft...

I am officially on the Brannstrom and Vaakanainen bandwagons. Anyone else?

Two guys I'm definitely looking at Whileee.

Getting one of those guys really would be great. I value HockeyProspect.com very highly, and they have Vaakanainen at 11 and Brannstrom at 16 (Valimaki at 17).

If we end up with one of those 2 I'll be happy.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Cullen has a more nuanced approach to draft pick value

IMG_3404.jpg

http://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Timmins has been one of my favorites for a while so I'd be happy there for sure..

Any of Brannstrom, Hague, Foote, Timmins, or Vaakanainen definitely seem like they could be on the table now.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Two guys I'm definitely looking at Whileee.

Getting one of those guys really would be great. I value HockeyProspect.com very highly, and they have Vaakanainen at 11 and Brannstrom at 16 (Valimaki at 17).

If we end up with one of those 2 I'll be happy.

Didn't they have a nice, full colour PDF of the top 100 prospects or something like that? I can't seem to find that now in a Google search.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Robert Thomas seems like the type of player the Jets would look at. Another Little Clone. Two other centers would be Josh Norris who seems to be climbing and Shane Bowers from the USHL

2 Big Wingers like Robertson and Ratcliffe are also possibilities

Ryan Poehling might be there too.

For D Connor Timmins,Nic Hague,Callen Foote and Vaakanainen would be in that next group

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
The trade back means a centre like Pettersson or Suzuki won't (likely) fall into the Jets' laps, but they could still nab one of these D:
Foote
Hague
Timmins
Valimaki
Vaakanainen
Brannstrom

None would make me sad though I favor the bottom 4.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Robert Thomas seems like the type of player the Jets would look at. Another Little Clone. Two other centers would be Josh Norris who seems to be climbing and Shane Bowers from the USHL

2 Big Wingers like Robertson and Ratcliffe are also possibilities

Ryan Poehling might be there too.

For D Connor Timmins,Nic Hague,Callen Foote and Vaakanainen would be in that next group

I'm a big fan of Thomas. I think he could really blossom in the next couple of seasons. He has good wheels, plays a smart offensive game, and is rock-solid defensively.

Haven't seen as much of Norris, but he's a big riser. I'm less enthusiastic about Robertson or Ratcliffe.

Don't know what to think about Poehling or Bowers, but I have confidence in the Jets' US-based scouts. They've killed it with forwards in previous drafts (Roslovic, Foley, Appleton).

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I would be pretty happy with Poehling or Norris. I thought Poehling was good at the u18s and Norris was maybe slightly better there. Norris is going to Michigan next year so there is that connection too.

I like Thomas think he is underrated and I kind of think he will be gone by then. But he was great in the playoffs for London

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I still think they can land one of Brannstrom, Vaakaneinen, Foote, Timmins, and a very very outside shot at Valimaki at #24.

I don’t think it matters if their LHD/RHD, the D prospect pool is full of question marks right now. Whoever they draft is 2-3 years away, might be looking at a Buff or Myers replacement, and definite LHD replacements by then. This is all assuming Trouba is still here to and not traded for an equal D

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I still think they can land one of Brannstrom, Vaakaneinen, Foote, Timmins, and a very very outside shot at Valimaki at #24.

I don’t think it matters if their LHD/RHD, the D prospect pool is full of question marks right now. Whoever they draft is 2-3 years away, might be looking at a Buff or Myers replacement, and definite LHD replacements by then. This is all assuming Trouba is still here to and not traded for an equal D

Yeah at this point we need both but with the question marks surrounding Enstrom the left side is still the weakest.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
On Conor Timmins who Bobby Mac says will go in that range:

https://jetsnation.ca/2017/06/01/nation-network-2017-prospect-profiles-39-conor-timmins/

Reads like the kind of jack of all trades D man that the Jets have taken in the past. The Morrissey / Trouba type.

I really like this aspect.

His high intelligence leads to minimal mistakes and he is one of best zone exit defenders (again: from my eye-test, not my company’s numbers) in the CHL. Timmins gets the puck out of the defensive zone fast, often, efficiently, and rarely with any mistake or unnecessary hesitation.

I've been on Timmins for a while. It was a little hard to justify taking him at 13, but I would not have objected.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah at this point we need both but with the question marks surrounding Enstrom the left side is still the weakest.

Agree. If somehow liljegren falls (i really dont see it) that would be amazing. I also had TBL taking a Dman however with the Sergachev pickup I am not so sure anymore.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

No, it wasn't something you had to buy, it was free. I should have just saved a copy at the time, but didn't think of it. Maybe it wasn't Hockey Prospects. It was all nicely laid out, with photos, stats, brief write-up. I seem to recall Dax commenting that he would like to produce something like it for his planned site. But thanks anyway.

Peter Tagli Eddie

All 3 of them?
Apr 14, 2009
Last time the Jets picked #23 was 1980. They chose a defenceman from the Toronto Marlboros (OHA). His name? Moe Mantha Jr.

Peter Tagli Eddie

All 3 of them?
Apr 14, 2009

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Last time the Jets picked #23 was 1980. They chose a defenceman from the Toronto Marlboros (OHA). His name? Moe Mantha Jr.

They're picking 24th. Big difference! :sarcasm:

Well, whatever. I can't change the past yet, so might as well sit back, relax and see how the first round unfolds. One thing that would make me go ka-ching is if Vegas picks Rasmussen at 13. I will think, there but for the Grace of God... :laugh:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Any thoughts on taking Jake Oettinger? I have mixed feeling on this as goalies are somewhat unpredictable to draft, and I'd prefer we got one (with a proven track record) via trade

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I wonder if Foote is their guy. He's pretty big, pretty solid, good scoring, has pedigree, plays in the W. Anybody know how his grades are? Haha

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Any thoughts on taking Jake Oettinger? I have mixed feeling on this as goalies are somewhat unpredictable to draft, and I'd prefer we got one (with a proven track record) via trade

I've moved into the "take a goalie" camp now, Oettinger or DiPietro. Look, somebody has to draft them, and I think drafting is the only shot we have at getting an elite level goalie like Price or Holtby some day. Seems very unlikely we would get one through free agency or trade. What Chevy gets this summer (if anything) could be a step up from the status quo, but I have hopes for better than average to good.

Downsides: Well, hoodoo. And the fact that I'm old enough I may not live to see him play for the Jets. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad