Prospect Info: NHL 2017 Entry Draft - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Continued from: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2224331

Some posts from the last thread:

So what's Montreal got up their sleeves? The other two teams make sense.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-...y-before-stanley-cup-final-game-4/c-289787964

Patrick said he'll next travel to meet with the Montreal Canadiens, New Jersey Devils and Philadelphia Flyers before he goes home to Winnipeg later this week. He'll be examined by each team's medical staff during the visits. A sports hernia limited him to 33 games this season, but he was cleared by doctors to participate in all the fitness testing at the combine.

Wonder if the Habs are making a move for the 3rd overall pick? They've been after a 1C for awhile now. Seriously doubt Patrick falls that far though. Or maybe the Habs are thinking about going into a rebuild and have some sort of big trade worked out with NJ or Philly.

Price to Philly E5

The price would be really steep and if it was the Devils one would assume it is for futures (Sergachev ++)

hahaha it's possible, Philly does need a goalie. If the Habs wanted to kick off a rebuild snagging a top 2 pick would be a quick way to start it. You'd think Price could command more than that though?

It has to be the Stars if anyone. I mean you'd think the stars would be having their doctors look at him too in case he falls to #3?

Maybe there is a vet or package of vets going to Dallas for 3OA. Weber maybe?

I didn't mean to imply that would be a 1 for 1 deal. If it happens it's likely to involve more pieces.

Unlikely though

Well, wasn't it Philly that offer sheeted Shea Webber 5 years ago? Just spit balling here.

RandomJetsFan

Apr 19, 2014
manitoba
There a chance that this kid Dylan Samberg is snatched up by the jets in the 3rd round? If there's I hope not who is the best choice in the 3rd round?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There a chance that this kid Dylan Samberg is snatched up by the jets in the 3rd round? If there's I hope not who is the best choice in the 3rd round?

I personally have Samberg closer to our 2nd round pick value wise so yea if he fell to us in the 3rd I would be over the moon.

RandomJetsFan

Apr 19, 2014
manitoba
I would love to have him in the jets system even though he is committed to university its like 4 years instead of the 3 years before signing any contract right?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I would love to have him in the jets system even though he is committed to university its like 4 years instead of the 3 years before signing any contract right?

Not ever player completes four years of university. Not sure where 3 years comes from.

See: Trouba Copp Connor Roslovic Poolman etc.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I got it from the chl they have 3 years of jr before they go pro if they go the full jr term or did I misunderstand that

Most players play four years of junior. Most are drafted after their second year. Some go back for one or two more after being drafted even if they sign a contract and some play in the NHL right away.

NCAA is a different animal

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I got it from the chl they have 3 years of jr before they go pro if they go the full jr term or did I misunderstand that

I am not too sure what this means, but I'll break it down.

When an NHL team selects a player out of the CHL they have two years to sign them. Does not matter what age they are drafted at. Not sure where 3 years comes from, but teams only have two years after drafting them to get them under contract (whether they age out of CHL or not).

So that means for players that are not late birthdays they will likely play 1 or 2 years in CHL before the draft (depending on whether they start in CHL at 16 or 17). Then most players will complete 2 more years of junior before going pro. A select few players with pro potential do go back for their overage year, which could be a fifth season of CHL hockey. So yes in theory a player can go back for 3 years of junior post draft but theres a few factors to consider. One is that if the team did not sign them after two years they are entered back into the draft. If undrafted they are UFA. It's very rare that a player that this happens to becomes an NHL player (but not impossible see Jake Muzzin). The other is that the team did sign them but despite being eligible to play pro they were returned to junior. Once again that likely means their NHL potential is basically nothing (but not impossible again see Ryan Callahan). On the whole though, players that return for 3 years junior post draft are almost always no longer viable NHL prospects.

For players that are late birthdays (born between Sept 16 and Dec 31) their draft year is a year later. So for them most will have 2 or 3 years of CHL experience when drafted. They then go back for only 1 more year before being eligible to turn pro. Again a small number would return for an overage year (in this case being their 2nd year after being drafted) but not many.

For NCAA players, NHL teams have until August 15th following their graduating class to sign players. So in general players are drafted either going to college or after their first year of college. Meaning the teams retain those players rights for 4 years (if just entering college) or 3 years (if first season of college is already complete). Now if the player spends an additional year in junior (generally the USHL or Canada Junior A leagues) before entering college the same clause applies. So teams may retain a players rights for 5 or even 6 years (if the player spends two years in junior before going to college ala Poolman). However for those players that do do that they have the option become UFA 4 years after they are drafted. This is to keep it consistent to 4 years of protection for college players.

RandomJetsFan

Apr 19, 2014
manitoba
Thank you i get it now I'll just stick to cheering and swearing at my tv and keeping my fingers and toes crossed for the playoffs :)....and just for the sake of saying it one more time lol

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I know the USHS isn't very good, but what's the deal with this kid?

Andrew Maynard
D man - 6'1, 181lbs
He scored 71 goals (104 points) in 27 games played.
The rest of the team combined for 72 and nobody else topped a point per game.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=360070

Second highest points per game total by a 17 year old D in the history of the USHS.
The best ever was former Jet, Deron Quint.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
On an unrelated note, the Jets have a history of taking older players out of the US.

If they go that route, some potential targets include:

Denis Smirnov, LW
19 yo., 5'10, 185 lbs.
Ranked 167th among NA Skaters by CS.
One of the top producers in the NCAA last year (16th).
47 points in 39 games.
Lead Penn State in scoring by 9 points.

Patrick Khodorenko, C
18 yo., 6', 207 lbs
18 points in 35 games.
Plays with Mason Appleton and tied for 3rd in team scoring.

Joe Duzak, RD
19 yo., 5'10, 179 lbs
21 points in 29 games
Most productive per game D man for Mercyhurst Univ.
Shredded the USHS before that.
5th in per game scoring among NCAA draft eligibles (including forwards).

Other NCAA names to watch: Carson Meyer RW, Josh Wilkins C, Colt Conrad C, Luke McInnis LD, Brandon Biro LW

The Jets have gone fairly heavy on the USHL too. Mario Ferraro, LD could be an interesting target.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I know the USHS isn't very good, but what's the deal with this kid?

Andrew Maynard
D man - 6'1, 181lbs
He scored 71 goals (104 points) in 27 games played.
The rest of the team combined for 72 and nobody else topped a point per game.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=360070

Second highest points per game total by a 17 year old D in the history of the USHS.
The best ever was former Jet, Deron Quint.

Probably because of the inferior league he plays in.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
On an unrelated note, the Jets have a history of taking older players out of the US.

If they go that route, some potential targets include:

Denis Smirnov, LW
19 yo., 5'10, 185 lbs.
One of the top producers in the NCAA last year (16th).
47 points in 39 games.
Lead Penn State in scoring by 9 points.

Patrick Khodorenko, C
18 yo., 6', 207 lbs
18 points in 35 games.
Plays with Mason Appleton and tied for 3rd in team scoring.

Joe Duzak, RD
19 yo., 5'10, 179 lbs
21 points in 29 games
Most productive per game D man for Mercyhurst Univ.
Shredded the USHS before that.
5th in per game scoring among NCAA draft eligibles (including forwards).

Other names to watch: Carson Meyer RW, Josh Wilkins C, Colt Conrad C, Luke McInnis LD, Brandon Biro LW

Khoderenko was one of those superstar 12 to 15 year old players. He was a very high WHL bantam pick but went the college route instead. He never quite lived up to the early hype though.

Conrad I have seen many times at Wheat Kings camp and I know they really tried to get him to come there. Pretty skilled quick player

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Probably because of the inferior league he plays in.

That is no doubt a big part of it, but he tore it up at an unprecedented rate.

I stumbled across him when I was looking at Middlestadt's stats. Qual comp would be be all over the place in that league, but it was interesting to me that Maynard put up goals (2.63/game) at a higher rate than Middlestadt put up points (2.56/game).

Not saying he's an awesome prospect or anything, just thought the historic scoring rate and connection to Jets 1.0 was interesting.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That is no doubt a big part of it, but he tore it up at an unprecedented rate.

I stumbled across him when I was looking at Middlestadt's stats. Qual comp would be be all over the place in that league, but it was interesting to me that Maynard put up goals (2.63/game) at a higher rate than Middlestadt put up points (2.56/game).

Not saying he's an awesome prospect or anything, just thought the historic scoring rate and connection to Jets 1.0 was interesting.

How can you pass up Deron Quint 2.0?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Mittlestadt played for Eden Prairie in the Minnesota High School league. A much more high end league then the Illinois High school league. He also played in the USHL this year and at the Ivan Hlinka past summer. He has played with higher level peers then Maynard has.

The Illinois league would be a AA caliber league for the most part. Really hard to judge a player there. He does look like a good player. He isn't committed anywhere yet, he might get drafted in the USHL draft and he hasn't been picked up by any OHL team either.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Mittlestadt played for Eden Prairie in the Minnesota High School league. A much more high end league then the Illinois High school league. He also played in the USHL this year and at the Ivan Hlinka past summer. He has played with higher level peers then Maynard has.

The Illinois league would be a AA caliber league for the most part. Really hard to judge a player there. He does look like a good player. He isn't committed anywhere yet, he might get drafted in the USHL draft and he hasn't been picked up by any OHL team either.

Like Midget AA APHA Rangers? :yo:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Quint still owns the 3rd highest point total in the history of that league.
111 g, 58 a for 169 points in 21 games.
That's 8.05 points per game!

It took Crosby and Parise near 60 games to put up those kind of totals.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/leagu...=&teamname=&nation=&nationname=&age=&order=TP

Those are some crazy point totals, but I'm guessing NHL scouts are going to want to see him against real competition (USHL or NAHL) before they even think about drafting him. Illinois typically has their best players on AAA travel teams (Mission, Fury and Young Americans, most notably), so that's got to be some pretty weak competition he's playing against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad