NHL 19 Information/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
If Frostbite was coming, they would announce it to get people off their backs
Possibly or they could be waiting because if they announce it then they have a deadline to meet. As it is now we don't know anything about their timetable for implementing Frostbite for the NHL series. That seems to be the way they like it, LOL. I think it's much more likely that they're working on it and it's not been going so well so they're hush hush about it.

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
Boggles my mind why they bring in BS like pond hockey lol. I won't even test it out once. All I care about is realism. Proper ratings, puck physics, etc, etc. Game play. Also, F*** HUT, etc lol
The new gimmick this year is improved skating. I'm sure they had a meeting and said how can we showcase this? Pond hockey is your answer...

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Possibly or they could be waiting because if they announce it then they have a deadline to meet. As it is now we don't know anything about their timetable for implementing Frostbite for the NHL series. That seems to be the way they like it, LOL. I think it's much more likely that they're working on it and it's not been going so well so they're hush hush about it.
Every other sports game platform has moved over to it. It can’t take this long even with a skeleton crew. It hasn’t moved over because they don’t plan on doing it.

c4rdsh4rk

Sep 17, 2007
they need to quit cutting out the stuff true hockey gamers want and bring back things like adjustable attributes in eashl to customize a player beyond the color of his f***ing laces.

adjustable attributes, levelling up with experience and performance, and adjustable game views. all things that were in the final iterations of last gen but removed from the horrible new gen which has likely only brought the franchise closer to its death.

who wouldve though this guy would still be in charge of this game... ea's front office sucks balls.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Every other sports game platform has moved over to it. It can’t take this long even with a skeleton crew. It hasn’t moved over because they don’t plan on doing it.

Only FIFA and Madden use it.

UFC, NBA, NHL all use the older Engine.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Only FIFA and Madden use it.

UFC, NBA, NHL all use the older Engine.
UFC gets released like once every 5 years. NBA Live is a joke of a game that has no purpose other then to pick up sales from people obsessed with basketball and willing to buy both live and 2k

Reactions: BogsDiamond

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
UFC gets released like once every 5 years. NBA Live is a joke of a game that has no purpose other then to pick up sales from people obsessed with basketball and willing to buy both live and 2k

And NHL, in EA's eyes, is closer to NBA Live and UFC, than it is Madden or FIFA

Reactions: BogsDiamond

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I wasn't arguing that.

You said every other sports game they have is on Frostbite. That is not the case.
The games that matter are. I’m not sure if nba 2k18 is on frostbite, but it’s either on that or a similarly state of the art engine.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The games that matter are. I’m not sure if nba 2k18 is on frostbite, but it’s either on that or a similarly state of the art engine.

The latest change NBA 2K has seen was the implementation of the Real Motion tech in NBA 2K18, which the NHL series is getting for NHL 19. (Fifa got the real motion tech in 2018, Madden is also getting it this year).

You act like NHL is a game that technically should matter though.

Fifa 18 sold over 14 million copies between the Xbox One and PS4, and an additional 1.72 million copies between the NS, PS3, Xbox 360, and PC.

Madden 18 sold over 1.5 million copies on the Xbox One alone, and another 2.54 million copies for the PS4.

NHL 18 didn't even sell 900K copies total.

NHL 19 could have frostbite, perfect AI, a perfect GM mode, and story driven career mode, and it still wouldn't crack 2 million buys in all likelyhood. The best modern game is considered to be NHL 10. That game only did 1.23 million copies sold. Coming off of that game, NHL 11 only got 90,000 extra buys, settling in at 1.32.

I'm a massive EA NHL critic, but the NHL series doesn't make them that much money. It's never going to get the production support Madden and FIFA do.

Jul 10, 2010
okay my biggest pet peeve is how the ultimate team and stepmodes like draft champions include the EURO cards. Im playing NHL and want to play with guys im familiar with. I dont want random euro guys ive never heard of on my team.

Madden doesnt have this problem and i think its why it draws me in more. I recognize every player

The inclusion of these guys also saturates the player ratings as most of these euro guys clog up the 70-79 range. if you elimate them and make the 4th liners 70-75 you can differ the ratings better to make players feel different based on overall.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Not sure if this is old or not...

From the first aarticle comes these 2 confirmations;

NHL remains one of the two EA sports franchises to delay the transition to Frostbite, but even that is perhaps to NHL's benefit, as FIFA in particular has experienced only marginal gains while struggling with optimization issues. NHL producer Sean Ramjasingh says of the Frostbite Engine, "We're still evaluating. It's not easy getting on a new engine, it's kind of like a console transition. We're monitoring FIFA and Madden and learning about the successes and challenges they've had."

and

In introducing these elements, it's clear that NHL is shooting for something akin to NBA 2K. But Ramjasingh says there will be no in-game microtransactions. "Nothing is monetized because we want it to be diverse."

NHL 19 Hands-On: NHL May Suddenly be Poised to Become EA's Best Sports Sim

Six Changes That Make NHL 19 The Most Promising Hockey Game Of The Generation

Last edited:

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland

Read the articles and wow, "most promising hockey game of the generation"

Everyone know by now nothing is revolutionary about the skating. It is the the same formulations as every year, this new small tweak will bring a completely new feel to the game blabla. Sure NHL is not a big market but it is not like it is getting bigger by bullshittin the existing fanbase year after year. Other sports games succeeds to reach the non-traditional countries. If it weren't for my love of the sport hockey and the NHL if would not come close to this game.

Reactions: Frosty415

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The league I was part of put rules in place to make trades be more realistic and you had to determine your "3 core" players and you couldn't trade them for a number of seasons.. there were also rules for FA signings and things like that.. it was very no-nonsense and a very well organized league. The Bluth Company (RIP)

Thanks! Still the coolest internet/video game thing I've eve done. I'm glad it was so fun for so many of us

Reactions: That Habs Fan

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Didn't buy last years and was the first time not buying since I was a kid. Already purchased this years as I want Vegas in there. Only going to buy next year's if they change things up.

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
The latest change NBA 2K has seen was the implementation of the Real Motion tech in NBA 2K18, which the NHL series is getting for NHL 19. (Fifa got the real motion tech in 2018, Madden is also getting it this year).

You act like NHL is a game that technically should matter though.

Fifa 18 sold over 14 million copies between the Xbox One and PS4, and an additional 1.72 million copies between the NS, PS3, Xbox 360, and PC.

Madden 18 sold over 1.5 million copies on the Xbox One alone, and another 2.54 million copies for the PS4.

NHL 18 didn't even sell 900K copies total.

NHL 19 could have frostbite, perfect AI, a perfect GM mode, and story driven career mode, and it still wouldn't crack 2 million buys in all likelyhood. The best modern game is considered to be NHL 10. That game only did 1.23 million copies sold. Coming off of that game, NHL 11 only got 90,000 extra buys, settling in at 1.32.

I'm a massive EA NHL critic, but the NHL series doesn't make them that much money. It's never going to get the production support Madden and FIFA do.

Off topic to a degree, but I believe that first NHL games (NHLPA, 92, 93?) outsold Madden. Unreal.

Also, if you look at the sales EA's MVP series brought in, it makes one wonder why EA is losing money trying to shove Live down our throats when there's an untapped market on the XB1 just waiting to spew money.
MVP on the XB would sell over 1M copies easy.
In other news, since adding it to their BC list, there are more people playing Fight Night Champion online than UFC.
EA seems to be neglecting a lot of titles that apart may seem small, but together generate a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad