NHL 19 Information/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
I hope they finally get it right 10 years after attempting to implement it.
Couldn't agree more. Last year's iteration was truly painful to play. Hardy even resembled hockey. I'm about as jaded as an NHL fan can be and I'm getting pumped about what I've seen and heard about 19.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
You can definitely tell when you get lucky enough to get a couple players who know what they doing and can actually setup and sustain offense in the zone. But those are very far and few in between.

Yeah, the difference is ridiculously definitive, but you just cannot find those players. It doesn't happen. If you do, they already have clubs. Recruiting more guys for your own club is so hard unless you either get super lucky or if you already have buddies to play with. But I'm talking about finding talented players. Your buddies might not be good, or etc.

I wish they'd like, ban LG and leagues like that because the average and above average players usually play there, but it'd spread out the talent pool of normal club way more if they disbanded it. Maybe I'm being stupid by saying that.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Watched TacTix video today about the RPM trailer

“Anyone who wanted Frostbite should be happier with this”

lirl

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Frostbite is a graphics engine, to be fair.

It goes beyond graphics.

A software development toolset for game creators - Frostbite
Our workflows and runtimes are highly configurable and cover all disciplines of development including Audio, Animation, Cinematics, Scripting, Physics, Destruction, Rendering, VFX, and more.

The difference between the old Ignite engine (which was found mostly in older generation console games) vs. Frostbite is rather noticeable, to say the least.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
I will say this after pausing the RPM video I am impressed at how the blues d man that Mcdavid burns on the last goal is skating and using his edges. Good to see that by the looks of it this is not just being applied to the puck carrier. The only thing I’m waiting on is some animation of a skater like Milan Lucic. He should lug himself around the ice rather than guilde and accelerate with a ton of crossovers. He and Mcdavid play on the same team so there should be an immediate difference felt when switching between those two players.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
I forget what year's version of the game it was, but I recall testing to see the skating speed and difference between a slug like Raitis Ivanans and Anze Kopitar in practice mode. There was virtually no difference between the two. I even tried handling the puck with both players doing rushes from end to end, no difference.

I guess that's expected when just about every ****ing player is rated 80+ overall.

The rating system is pure lazy trash. From last gen to current gen they literally just bumped all the 70-75 stats to 80 and gave everyone 85 balance and checking.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
Yeah, the difference is ridiculously definitive, but you just cannot find those players. It doesn't happen. If you do, they already have clubs. Recruiting more guys for your own club is so hard unless you either get super lucky or if you already have buddies to play with. But I'm talking about finding talented players. Your buddies might not be good, or etc.

I wish they'd like, ban LG and leagues like that because the average and above average players usually play there, but it'd spread out the talent pool of normal club way more if they disbanded it. Maybe I'm being stupid by saying that.

Honestly all the decent players are playing LG at this point. Club is dead. It's a bummer because a lot of people don't have the time to commit to scheduled games every week. But, it is pretty awesome to play with people who know what they are doing.

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
The rating system is pure lazy trash. From last gen to current gen they literally just bumped all the 70-75 stats to 80 and gave everyone 85 balance and checking.

EA clearly doesn't even scout the teams and players thoroughly, nor do they attempt to diversify ratings and make a certain players attributes represent their actual playstyle and skills.

Reactions: Deku and bs

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
It seems like for 19, something they're signaling with skating is that you can't just infinitely spam hustle without repercussions of being drained of energy. I personally already don't spam the hustle, so I'd welcome this if implemented correctly.(AKA being such as, you lose the puck more with no energy, or you're a step behind with pivots and stickhandles, and such.)

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
It seems like for 19, something they're signaling with skating is that you can't just infinitely spam hustle without repercussions of being drained of energy. I personally already don't spam the hustle, so I'd welcome this if implemented correctly.(AKA being such as, you lose the puck more with no energy, or you're a step behind with pivots and stickhandles, and such.)

Until the super 1337 me-me-me I shud b abel to do mad dangelz thru every1!!!! crowd starts complaining and then they remove it 6 weeks after release.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I hope with the new crossovers and edgework that they at least have ratings for crossovers, someone like McDavid should be a 95+ where as like someone else said bigger and aging guys like Lucic, Dubinsky, etc should have lower ratings and should feel drastically different than younger speedy guys.

Reactions: Deku

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
I can't believe people still purchase this crap. The AI has not been upgraded in years and on a scale of 1-10 is a -2. Computer controlled teammates handle the puck like a grenade or just leave it behind for no reason. Who cares how the game looks when the AI is so putrid.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
I hope they improve the defense players! At least make em grade A pointers, mostly B- C+

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
EA clearly doesn't even scout the teams and players thoroughly, nor do they attempt to diversify ratings and make a certain players attributes represent their actual playstyle and skills.

EA has never given a crap about player separation. I walked away from this series years ago. I'd try the game thru various means, but I was always left disappointed.
I'm an offline gamer only so Franchise mode is my jam. But the franchise mode sucks because every game is the same regardless of who you're playing as or against.
Every player on the CPU's side plays the same. They can all dangle, snipe, thread needles and hammer you. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a 4th line scrub make a blind, backhand pass from the corner that threads through multiple defenders to land right on the tape for an easy one-timer.
They can also dance across the ice like waterbugs while my All-star forward feels like he's skating in mud.
Now, this new skating system may correct the latter, but I'm still not sold we won't see the CPU doing amazing things with every player it controls regardless of attributes.
And if you read complaints about EA's FIFA and Madden games, you'll see the same thing.

Programming good AI is very tough. Which means it requires a lot of time and energy. Which means it costs money.
EA devoted more time to the skating engine not because it wants to make the gameplay better, but because it needs a big "BACK OF THE BOX" proclamation in order to generate hype and sell more copies.
Even a jaded consumer like myself is very excited to see where this new skating engine will take the game. And that's the whole point.

Just like next year, we'll probably get something like new Goalie Animations. Back of the Box material baby.
But in the end, the AI and gameplay of NHL 19 will be no better than it was over the past decade. The ratings system is pathetic.
Part of the issue is the NHLPA refuses to allow any NHL player to be rated under a certain value. So we're stuck with 700 players that basically play the same.
It's why when I did own the game, I had a lot more fun playing in the CHL as the player separation is much, much better at that level.
But of course, being a Franchise fan, playing in the CHL (or AHL), has it's limitations.

I'd love for EA to implement something like a 'Weapons System' like Pro Football 2K had. Give certain players specific skills like One-Timer, Thread Needle, Snipe, Dangle.
I know the series had those things before but I don't think it was implemented the way it should be.
But gamers should notice a difference between Ovi or Stamkos's one-timer compared to Claude Giroux. Harder, more accurate and perhaps gets it off a tad faster. Stuff like that.

In the end, EA's motus operandi is to pimp modes that promote microtransactions. The other 'stuff' in the game is almost entirely ignored.

Reactions: Igor Shestyorkin

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I can't believe people still purchase this crap. The AI has not been upgraded in years and on a scale of 1-10 is a -2. Computer controlled teammates handle the puck like a grenade or just leave it behind for no reason. Who cares how the game looks when the AI is so putrid.

What game mode are you playing? The AI are godlike in anything online.

I miss the good old days of versus when you actually had to defend the puck carrier or else your AI would get dangled.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I would definitely play online if I wasn’t cheap as trash lol however I have absolutely no interest in HUT. I totally understand wanting to challenge yourself against players across the world or play on a team with your buddies or wanting to build a team, but paying money or playing games just to obtain players that are already in the game to begin with has absolutely no appeal to me. If they ever bring back Gm connected I think that would be much more enjoyable to play with others than HUT.

On a side note I was watching some NHL 06 videos today and it amazing how accurate some of the players faces are for that time. I mean freakin Donald Brashear has his face in the game! Not to mention the coaches have their real faces as well. It was cool to see Ken Hitchcock behind the Flyers bench EA should take notes.

Yes. This. GM Connected was the most fun I've ever had playing the EA NHL Franchise.. The games just aren't fun anymore for me, I'd say I probably wont wast my money on NHL19.. but I'll probably end up getting it anyway.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Anyone trying to tell you Frostbite is “just graphics” is just trying to defend EA.

Frostbite is the overall game engine, and it’s miles better than the one EA currently uses. The reason things like puck pickups failed and hardly works is because the engine can’t handle it. It’s too complicated. I imagine the RPM will have similar issues.

Though the other part of me thinks this RPM skating and hitting engine must be the best thing to ever come to NHL video games because they made it the only significant addition, with the scouting update and the play on a pond thing as the two secondary additions.

Like NHL 10 got great reviews. The reason? They added A TON to that game. That game had as many additions and updates as 17, 18, & 19 probably had combined.

It all didn’t work great, the first person fighting engine was kinda wonky, but people didn’t mind because there was so much new to the game, that some issues were understandable.

The general reaction to the Pond hockey stuff seems to be mainly negative, because people see it as another Threes. Play it a couple times and that is it.

What if the RPM doesn’t work that well? What if the new scouting in franchise isn’t what we are envisioning?

Right now, those two things need to be homeruns in order to salvage this game.

If they aren’t.....

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
What game mode are you playing? The AI are godlike in anything online.

I miss the good old days of versus when you actually had to defend the puck carrier or else your AI would get dangled.
I am playing franchise mode and I don't play the games, I watch them and just act as GM. I have all the settings tuned to best sim but the AI is ridiculously bad. I want to be able to watch a computer played game that looks semi realistic.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yes. This. GM Connected was the most fun I've ever had playing the EA NHL Franchise.. The games just aren't fun anymore for me, I'd say I probably wont wast my money on NHL19.. but I'll probably end up getting it anyway.
I remember reading the GM Connected league threads on HF back before that years version even got released.. people were making, like, 50 trades before the game even got released :laugh: I always wondered if they actually made all those trades once the game came out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad